SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Idiot dog owners at the beach
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Idiot dog owners at the beach Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I’m at the beach. It’s a nice day. Lots of dogs - seems like off leash is allowed. That’s fine as everyone seems to be cleaning up as needed and most of the dogs are well behaved. They keep to themselves or play together. They are attentive and listen immediately to commands to stay or come.

Of course, there are exceptions. Some dogs, while not harmful, exhibit annoying behaviors and go where they are not really wanted. Some growling occurs. The problem is they don’t respond to the idiot owners to come.

If you’re dog doesnt listen to you, perhaps they should be on a leash.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even leashed, there can be problems. My last dog bite occurred on a walking path here in town. A dude had two Beagles on leashes and as I passed one, it jumped up and bit my hand. Tore a good sized hole in my $40 Gore-Tex glove. Crushed my finger but did not not break the skin. I told the owner he owed me for my glove. He did not even respond.
Bitten by a vicious Beagle!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:

this applies to their kids, also.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
My rule of thumb, and I probably have more experience than most, is if the dog is out of the control of the owner, all bets are off.

Case in point. I had a blind Rottweiler, on a leash, at a 4th of July parade. A young female had a black lab, off the leash, that literally "blind sided" my dog. I had a retractable leash, and I yanked about 2 feet out of it, and punched the lab right in its face. It yelped and ran away.

The girl and her boyfriend were not happy. She was screaming "You didn't have to do that do my dog!!!". I think my response was, "Yeah, if you had him on a leash, I wouldn't have had too.".

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Zero tolerance for that shit. Dogs are not to be trusted, period.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
On the Gulf Coast, can hardly find a beach where dogs are even allowed. $500 fine for having a dog on the beach, at least in the tourist and public areas.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I like dogs, but you really can't trust a strange dog. Most are fine, but dog bites aren't to br trifled with.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Dumb Dog Owner: "My dog is friendly!"

Otto: "I'm not."

I really hate that crap, especially out in the wilderness. If you have to call your dog's name and call out a command 47 times, you're dog is not in your control. In fact, I think it's just the opposite.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Uncontrolled dogs today included:

Friendly dogs who were jumping all over little toddlers, unrelated, for whom the parents were not pleased.

Unwelcome dogs who would play fetch with other dogs and their owners.

Dogs stirring up shit with other digs - alpha behavior.

Dogs jumping onto other people’s beach blankets and stuff.

Dogs pissing near other people’s beach area / blankets. Marking territory.

Seriously, if you’re dog isn’t coming to you after the tenth time you call him, maybe you should walk over and get him. And use a leash.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Man, that sucks. I am a dog owner who tries NOT to spoil it for everyone.

My pups stay leashed. (They are well trained and trustworthy off leash; it is everyone else I don't trust.)

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I’m an animal lover, but I draw the line at uncontrolled dogs.

If a dog jumps on me or mine, they get a friendly light kick. I am also prepared to shoot an aggressive dog any time. Don’t like either option? Keep your dog from jumping on me or attacking me.

Posts: 1801 | Location: Possum Kingdom, TX | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
ncontrolled dogs today included:

Friendly dogs who were jumping all over little toddlers, unrelated, for whom the parents were not pleased.

Unwelcome dogs who would play fetch with other dogs and their owners.

Dogs stirring up shit with other digs - alpha behavior.

Dogs jumping onto other people’s beach blankets and stuff.

Dogs pissing near other people’s beach area / blankets. Marking territory.

Seriously, if you’re dog isn’t coming to you after the tenth time you call him, maybe you should walk over and get him. And use a leash.

The same stuff college kids do here on Spring break.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
LoL Smile

Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rsbolo:
Man, that sucks. I am a dog owner who tries NOT to spoil it for everyone.

My pups stay leashed. (They are well trained and trustworthy off leash; it is everyone else I don't trust.)

Same here. The exception is if I'm out away from people, I'll let my dog run off leash for awhile, but he always wears his electronic collar as he has occasional stubborn moments.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, went to the park the other day and only 4 dogs in the park, all four were "pit bulls".

One dizzy girl handling one on a leash, walked right close to us and seemed surprised when the dog almost pulled the leash from her hands while lunging at us. My wife and I could not get over any further away from them due to a fence.

She would have been even more surprised if the dog had gotten hold of my arm and I shot it in the head.
One couple with two pit bulls were good handlers. They stayed away from others in the park and kept their dogs not only away from others, but kept the dogs mind on the handlers instead of others.
Some dogs are just not for bad handlers. Some dogs are easily handled by bad or novice handlers.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I train regularly. And I do work her off a lead, but she always has a shock collar on. 95% of the time a page (bzzzz) is all it takes, but once in a while a shock pulse is needed. When I have been to the beach recently, most of the dogs act accordingly. But it's like people with kids running around uncontrolled, really annoying. Most dog owners, in my experience, don't train their dogs to obey commands.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12621 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two years ago a guy had his dog on the beach. The dog decided it would try to play volleyball with us and deflated our ball.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is 100% on dog owners, to control their pets. We have always kept ours on a leash, when in public. Except for dog parks.

When I run outdoors, I conceal carry in a jogging holster. Loose dogs are my biggest worry.

Posts: 195 | Location: Smithfield, Utah | Registered: April 29, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I’m at the beach. It’s a nice day. Lots of dogs - seems like off leash is allowed. That’s fine as everyone seems to be cleaning up as needed and most of the dogs are well behaved. They keep to themselves or play together. They are attentive and listen immediately to commands to stay or come.

Of course, there are exceptions. Some dogs, while not harmful, exhibit annoying behaviors and go where they are not really wanted. Some growling occurs. The problem is they don’t respond to the idiot owners to come.

Exactly dogs are verboten on the beaches here.

I don't mind a bit.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post