SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    When did “could you repeat that” start to mean you’re stupid?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When did “could you repeat that” start to mean you’re stupid? Login/Join 
Picture of Leemur
posted
Customers calling from all corners of the hills with horrible connections. At least half the time when I say, “I’m sorry could you repeat that” I get and irate/sarcastic “Do you even know what product X is?!”

People are becoming bigger assholes every day.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Cell phone connectivity can be pretty bad in the rural areas near you (I have been there, had to drive a couple of miles from my friend's house to get a usable connection).

If you have a customer with a bad phone connection and an equally bad attitude, maybe you could make hissing, static noises in the back of your throat just before you drop the connection.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I used to deal with people on the phone everyday, most of the day and after a short time of "pissing people off" when connection, background noise on either end or whatever, made me miss something important, and my asking them "could you repeat that", I led off with, "Oh, sound dropped out, could you please repeat?"

<Forrest Gump Voice>"...and just like that,... people became nice... and.... help-ful again..."</Forrest Gump Voice>

I had no idea some people took offense when none was intended, but that small change has been working for me for many years.

Now, certifiable assholes. Well, they are gonna be full of piss and looking for a leg to wet, no matter what.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
Back when I answered phone calls from people I didn't know as part of my job, there was many a call I was forced to end with, more or less:

"....could you repeat that last part? hello? I'm sorry I think we must have a bad connection, I can't hear anything on my end. Let's try again, please call back." *click*

Almost every time it really was a bad connection.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
When did “could you repeat that” start to mean you’re stupid?

I think it started here at home a few years ago, when my wife would try to talk to me while walking away from me.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Or you ask them to repeat & they only give you the last 25% of the message, which was the part you heard, and repeat the same part again when you ask "what?".

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Worse, when you are on a call and provide information that the CS rep ignores, like "Hi my name is Biff O'Bannon and I'm calling to x"

Only to be replied with "could you give me your name and why you are calling"

They can't or don't listen or it's on a call script for inbound and deviation isn't allowed.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Worse, when you are on a call and provide information that the CS rep ignores, like "Hi my name is Biff O'Bannon and I'm calling to x"

Only to be replied with "could you give me your name and why you are calling"

They can't or don't listen or it's on a call script for inbound and deviation isn't allowed.

Then you get transferred & have to start over.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
In my experience, VOIP and cell phones can sometimes cause issues. I had no idea asking someone to repeat something implied they were stupid. I've wondered if I've said the same sort of thing on call. I think I normally say - we have a poor connection and some of your words are dropping out. I'm not sure I heard everything that you said.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post