SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Auto insurance so darn expensive !!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Auto insurance so darn expensive !! Login/Join 
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted
I'm approaching 40 years old, never been in an accident in my entire life. Last speeding ticket was when I was 18 years old, about 20 years ago. I have pretty much perfect driving record and I drive like a grandpa.

Wife has a good driving record as well, no speeding tickets in the past 10-15 years and no accidents.

We have 4 cars. Actually, the wife has a car, and then I have a truck (barely used, maybe 1000 miles a year), a daily driver, and a spare backup car.

I live in the nicest gated community in my county ($750k to 1.5K million homes) , with an extremely low crime rate. Haven't heard of a burglary or stolen car here, in my community, ever.

When I moved into my gated community, the insurance went UP! Why? Because my zip code has a slightly higher crime rate than the house I lived before.

Want to guess how much it cost to insure 4 cars? One is a 2006, one is a 2008, one is a 2017, and one is a 2019. Only two of them are newer, and the older ones should have very limited risk to the insurance company for theft/fire/collision/loss.

$4000 a freaking year.

$4000 !!

I left USAA insurance a few years ago, due to rising cost.

For giggles, I got a quote through USAA insurance yesterday. The same exact policy limits. $8000 per year!!!!! How the hell are they in the insurance business? They cant be selling $8000 policies. It makes no damn sense.

What the F*** !!!!

Ive been told for years that my insurance would drop when I reached my 30's or 40's compared to being a young man. Well I sure haven't seen it.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I live in a low crime area also.

I use Geico for car insurance and homeowners insurance.

I have a 2021 Ford Bronco Sport and a 2000 Ford Ranger XLT, full coverage on both, $500 deductibles on both.

$1,243.40/year

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
$4K for 4 cars in CFL is a good price... $1K per Car on average is below market.... doesn't make it easier to write the check though LOL

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Automobile insurance is a form of legalized gambling. You are hoping that if it is needed that the insurance company will take care of you and the insurance company is planning on paying out as little as possible. As much profit for the stockholders and company executives as legally possible. . Another major reason for the higher premium rates is that you are paying for all of those vehicles being driven without any insurance coverage at all. And because of the lawyers getting involved to get the large payouts for their clients. You have seen the lawyer ads commercials where the are claiming to get these large payments for their clients so as to getmore clients to hire them. Dammed if you do get the insurance and dammed if you don"t. .............................. drill sgt.

Posts: 2002 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
We just bought another home and like the OP it’s in a nice gated community in a NC county that has the lowest crime rate in the state. When I was talking to my insurance agent and asking her to give me a quote for one of our 4 cars (an older Porsche that only gets driven about 2000 miles a year and her quote was double what we’re paying in VA.

If it’s legal I’m going to keep the vehicles insured in VA (we still have our home there) since they actually spend most of their time there but I’d like to get a NC license if possible…

As said above insurance is a scam!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6312 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep, that sounds about right for 4 cars, depending on the level of coverage.

I have a 5 year old 50k mile car that's very highly rated for safety, with a perfect driving record, and I live in one of the areas of the country with the lowest cost of living. My auto insurance is $903/year for that one car. (Granted, that's with full coverage and all the bells and whistles.)

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
Made me go look at my policies. Apples & Oranges..but....

2000 Tacoma and a 2020 RAV4. We are both older with clean records. $850 a year for both with High Coverage Limits at State Farm.

Posts: 1347 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe it is not about you. Maybe you live in an area with a lot of uninsured drivers. Called the USA

Posts: 1402 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
They know their losses in various areas to a high degree. It isn't just theft, it is about how many accidents there are in that place. Those things are out of your control.

I moved out of Harris County (Houston) and into Montgomery County, and got a little savings, even though I drive the same pattern. But that three mile change of address mattered to them.

I presume that if the houses are in that price range, your cars are not hoopties. Expensive cars cost more to insure.

Get some quotes, maybe you can save some bucks.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try 4 cars with 2 teenagers !! Mad

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are your homeowners and vehicles bundled through the same insurance company?

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:

My thought. I have all of my life, car, motorcycle, supplementary firearms and a umbrella with State Farm. I get a discount.

But what I pay is meaningless because their are too many variables.

Are the older cars covered for collision? If so you might want to drop it.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
You need to find a broker. I have a car (DD) and a compact truck (and soon to be 3rd car, performance model) and prior to this year I was paying nearly $2,800 per year. Older than you, no tickets, no accidents, homeowner, perfect credit, etc, etc. One is 2019, the other is 2013. Both have solid ratings in an accident by the what is it, NHSTA or whatever it’s called. My broker, in January of this year, switched me to another carrier and it dropped in half. Even though my homeowners policy is different from my auto policy carrier, much less $. I split the mileage between them so I have both insured for low mileage per year, 6k miles each per year. The new carrier offered 10-20% savings when I renew in January 2022 if I’d run their stupid app for 90 days. My broker talked me into doing it even though big brother can go fuck itself. He knows I want another car and said it was a necessary evil. So I had to grandma drive (around here that is dangerous with service roads where you need to go 0 to 45-55 mph very quickly), no hard braking (necessary sometimes due to idiots), no hard acceleration (necessary sometimes due to idiots), no driving after 11pm or 12am, something like that. I felt like a damn teenager but it will pay off on renewal.

I have two other policies also. One for my motorcycles and one for my PWC. It has taken years and years to get that bike policy down.

Find a broker in your area. 30-60 days before your renewals they’ll go shop for you. Your homeowners and auto may be the same carrier or completely different. Good broker will help steer you towards this or that type of vehicle, this or that mfr., etc. Like for example my next car. I want another STi or Golf R. I like the production WRC type cars, AWD turbo hatches with diffs and 6MT’s. Broker informs me that he has a specialty carrier that insures weekend or collector cars for cheap. Like $550-650 a year. But the stipulation is it has to be a coupe. They won’t insure my beloved hatches or a sedan (which I loathe anyways). Problem for me is they don’t make AWD Turbo Manual transmission performance coupes. They are all RWD. Well, there is the Carrera 4 GTS 7spd manual, but I’m not into spending near house money on a car. I’ll figure it out. Point is, I don’t care what you want to buy. You need to check with the broker first and foremost. Even if that means selling something you have and replacing it with something less costly to insure. It’s all a big racket so you have to game it right back. Some times I stick with the same carrier for a couple years. Other times I’m switching every single year. The broker also doesn’t just throw me to some shit carrier either. It’s always someone reputable. I hate it, and would rather stick with one company but it’s not feasible. I was a long term State Farm guy but there they are way more expensive.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was told by one of my insurance companies in the past my rates were higher because I was single…apparently being married makes you a better driver..

I’m mid 30s with no accidents/tickets/etc and a 2020 Camry… last 6 months was 640… thanks to this thread I looked and it says next 6 months is 697… thanks Sig forum for making me depressed lol.

Posts: 1301 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:

Nope. Its Florida. All the insurance companies pulled out due to hurricanes except the stupid ones.

My agent tried to bundle but found nothing available, or at least, it would have cost more money than what we pay.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:

Nope. Its Florida.

There’s your answer right there.

Around here, the state of NJ has always traditionally been sky high. I got a job in NJ after College and after learning that my insurance bill for one car would have literally tripled in one day, I kept my registration in PA for the 14 months I worked there.

Posts: 33776 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're not already doing so, bundle other insurance products with your auto.

Consider an umbrella policy (relatively cheap for a relatively high amount of coverage), which in many cases will have minimum liability limits on underlying policies which may actually allow you to lower the liability coverages on your home and auto policies, saving some money there.

Consider raising your deductibles. Insurance is more of a catastrophic product, not something to have deal with minor issues. Higher deductibles can make a huge difference in premiums.

See if your state allows you to write off the portion of insurance covering medical, which can help at least a little.

If you use the truck infrequently but predictably (more than maybe a day's notice before usage), consider placing it in "storage", which will remove the road coverages and leave theft/ non road related damage coverages in place. You can probably save a decent amount this way, again, assuming the usage isn't extremely spontaneous. Same thing with the backup car.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Expensive cars cost more to insure.

And the cost of repair parts enters the equation, too. When I was still buying new vehicles, I was amazed at the difference in insurance rates for two similar but different brands of new trucks. The agent explained that away as the cost for repair parts for one of the two being higher.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I currently have a 2013 V6 Mustang base model with the performance package. I have some 182,500 miles on it.My insurance has always been super high. I'm the only owner. At this point in time I have a not at fault accident and no tickets on my record.

I found a hell of a deal on a 2013 Boss 302 with 1600 miles on it. Called my insurance agent, it'll cost me $30 less every 6 months than my current car. Confused

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vulrath,

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Liability insurance goes up for living in a nice neighborhood as well, no? More likely to use up the entirety of your coverage even on just a fender bender if you hit a neighbor's Ferrari?

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post