SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Tried to do an oil change today
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tried to do an oil change today Login/Join 
Caught in a loop
posted
So, I attempted the first oil change in the new mustang today. Did not go as anticipated.

Tried to put it up on ramps. No go, the ramps have too steep of an angle to fit under the chin spoiler. Okay, let's just jack it up. No go, both of the jacks are too high profile to fit under the car. The only thing that worked somewhat was to put some wood in front of the ramps, but that felt super sketchy and when I went to move the car further forward the car actually rolled back to the ground.

I have to go to AutoZone today anyway, I'll see if they have some low profile ramps or something.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
My son's Mustang, we have to roll it on a 2" X 6" and then we can use the floor jack to get it up. They do make some low profile floor jacks BTW

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
They do make some low profile floor jacks BTW

They do. I have one. Needed it to jack up my mower, of all things, to replace the PTO drive belt.

Bought mine at my favorite tool store. Later spotted what appeared to be the very same product at Harbor Freight.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
i used to use the curb cut at the driveway to get one side up then the jack would fit.
drive perpendicular to the driveway and up one side on the curb. Once you get it jacked, lower it to stands. clearly not osha certified so be careful

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5131 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
jack it up and place on the ramps Wink

or get a higher lifting jack [from Harbor Freight] Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You could always make your own ramps out of 2x8 or 2x10's.
Adding another layer every couple feet (think pyramid) until you reach the height needed.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
Do you have clearance to jack it up from the side?

Posts: 3228 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
As a Corvette owner I feel your pain. Bought a not cheap very low profile hydraulic jack LOL, it still did not work even from the side. Finally bought the corvette forum recommended 2 piece Race Ramps that did it.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muddflap:
Do you have clearance to jack it up from the side?

Maybe, if I got a super low profile jack.

I was actually just looking at the Race Ramps. Nearly $200 is annoyingly steep, but it's not the end of the world.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I had to get the Harbor Tool low profile jack to change the oil on my BMW.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34107 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
I had to get the Harbor Tool low profile jack to change the oil on my BMW.

Ditto. I got the extended low profile so I can just lift from the middle.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Race Ramps are what you need...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZAGI9E

They have multiple designs/configurations depending on your needs. DEFINITELY Not cheap (quality tools never are), but the price of admission when own REALLY Cool toys and want to do your own work. Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, I attempted the first oil change in the new mustang today.
Just wait until you try to get the drain plug off....

Posts: 9035 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just use the factory jack and put jack stands under the car.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Ha! I drive a jeep, one with lots of lift to clear the 35" tires. What's this jack thing you speak of? You just crawl under the jeep, with the tools in hand. That's after you skitter the drain pan to the approximate position. Pull the filter first, then the drain plug. If you remembered to bring along the new filter, just screw it on, then replace the drain plug. Inch worm your poor old wretched body back into the sunlight. Go get the 5 quart jug plus the extra 6th quart. Lift the hood and dump it all into the engine. More than 5 minutes, less than 10. Whats this jacking up shit y'all are talking about?

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
jack it up and place on the ramps Wink

or get a higher lifting jack [from Harbor Freight] Big Grin
He will still need a low profile jack. I needed one for my Challenger.

It's worth it to buy a low profile jack and some jack stands. Makes the job quick and most importantly safe.

Posts: 3909 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
You could always make your own ramps out of 2x8 or 2x10's.
Adding another layer every couple feet (think pyramid) until you reach the height needed.

This is what I have to get up some, 3-5.5” or so. I usually don’t need a whole lot of lift.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
Floor jacks are good suggestions, but I'll go the other route. A four-post car lift is the way to go. Big Grin

Posts: 2221 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
So, I attempted the first oil change in the new mustang today.
Just wait until you try to get the drain plug off....

This definitely concerned me a little. It's 9 years old and I was the one to take it to 2,000 miles. I just broke 5500.

quote:
Originally posted by petr:
I just use the factory jack and put jack stands under the car.

You talk as though the car came with a spare tire. No spare, no jack, not even a lug wrench.

I actually measured it - I have 5.5" from the ground to the plastic side runner. Take about 0.5-1" off to account for the weld seam, and we have my ground clearance.

On my list is now a hazard fraught low profile jack. The Race Ramps were already on the list.

I'm thinking about just taking it to the stealer and having them do the work. If I bring my own oil and filter they charge $30 for labor. I hate doing it this way, but it gives me time to collect tools for the next interval or for the diff/trans fluid/radiator fluid swap (whatever comes first).

ptruck, if I had room for a lift I'd probably already have one. Big Grin I definitely do enough of my own maintenance (and I've got the number to several good mechanics for what I can't handle).

Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
On my Honda S2000, I use a vacuum pump to extract the oil from the dipstick hole. The oil filter is placed so I can get it off from on top.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post