SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    QWERTY insanity
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

QWERTY insanity Login/Join 
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted
aNY ONE ELSE WONDER WHY THEY PUT THE CAPS LOCK NEXT TO THE A?

aAAAARGH!

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Your left pinky is too long. Amputate to the first joint and you won't have that problem any more.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain!

First thing I do with a new system/keyboard is disable every nonsense key. Caps Lock key, "Windows" keys, "Application" key, etc.

The better KBs come with software tools with options to disable keys and/or allow it via the control panel. Failing that (on Windows) there are registry hacks to map those key codes to no-ops.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
A lot of my passwords, perhaps all, use at least one capital letter, so disabling is not an option.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
Your left pinky is too long. Amputate to the first joint and you won't have that problem any more.

-Rob

Thanks! Best advice ever. As a bonus, all of my coworkers are now terrified of me, and no one steals my snacks anymore. Janitorial was not happy though.

Modern problems, modern solutions.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20812 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Well they had to slow your typing down somehow, or else all those little hammers with the letters on them will bunch up next to the ribbon.

Posts: 9141 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
A lot of my passwords, perhaps all, use at least one capital letter, so disabling is not an option.

Are you saying that in order to capitalize letters while you're typing, you're using the CapsLock button one letter at a time as you go? As in, to type "I like Sigforum", you're clicking:

CapLock (On)
I
Capslock (Off)

l-i-k-e

Capslock (On)
S
Capslock (Off)
i-g-f-o-r-u-m

Confused

... You can capitalize letters without using CapsLock. That's what the Shift keys are for. And it's way easier/faster than toggling CapsLock both on and off for each and every capital letter.

CapsLock is only intended for when you want to type a long string of capitalized letters, like an entire sentence or paragraph in caps, without having to hold down the Shift key the entire time. But that's such a rare occurrence for most people that's it not a big deal to disable it, because even if you do need to capitalize a long string of things every once in a blue moon, you can still do that with just the minor aggravation of having to hold Shift the whole time.

Whereas accidentally triggering CapsLock when you don't want to is significantly more likely than intentionally using it to type long batches of capitalized text.

Hence the usefulness of disabling it, unless you're one of the rare people in a specific niche situation where CapsLock sees regular use. (For example, if you're using a certain specific database or programming language that requires all text entries to be input exclusively in all caps.)

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Obviously I'm aware of that and you're ignoring what I said. I do long strings of capital letters, and I don't care to hold down the shift key while I'm doing it.

For the record, I touch type at over 80WPM so I'm relatively proficient with a keyboard.

Oh well, business as normal.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I'm ignoring nothing. Nothing in your initial post indicated that you "do long strings of capital letters". Your post only stated that your passwords include "at least one capital letter" and thus you believed CapsLock was a necessity for you. Hence the clarification question.

Personally, I don't bother using CapsLock on anything less than about a complete sentence of all capital letters, so even several capital letters in a row in a password wouldn't rate CapsLock, but that's just me.

However, I'm glad to hear that you're not an absolutely barbaric typist. Using CapsLock for individual capital letters would be true QWERTY Insanity, and represents the sort of deviant behavior that would be a red flag for someone potentially being a serial killer. Wink

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I was just talking to my older brother, we both agreed that we miss the IBM Selectric II's. Love the clacky clacky of a real typewriter and having to become a better typist back then instead of today's hit the backspace and fix it. LOL. Back then everybody knew the difference betwen Pica & Elite.

That, and #2 pencils. I still love using a pencil with a good eraser. However, I usually buy a couple packs of #2 pencils every year. At least I have several old fashioned vintage pencil sharpeners.

This was actually a problem back in the day, if you are old enough to remember this:

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post