SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Thanks a lot Discount Tire, done with you.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thanks a lot Discount Tire, done with you. Login/Join 
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
After hearing how great discount tire is, I went to the location in Gainesville Ga and found out real quick they’re the kings of upselling. Even after repeating myself twice I only wanted 2 tires and not 4.

Haven’t been back.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3975 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
After hearing how great discount tire is, I went to the location in Gainesville Ga and found out real quick they’re the kings of upselling. Even after repeating myself twice I only wanted 2 tires and not 4.

Haven’t been back.

Don't let some here talk you into being a hater.
It's their job to sell you product and you have the freedom to say "no".
Just because you only wanted two, doesn't mean you don't need or shouldn't get four.
FWIW, buying all tires at the same time is generally a good idea.

Posts: 22928 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I’ve been working on my own vehicles for over 30 years, but mounting and balancing my own tires I’m not equipped to do. The car only needed 2.

———————————————

Posts: 3975 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i've dealt with 2 different discount stores/managers since the early '80's.

i was never pressured into buying 4 tires, when only 2 were needed.

they recognized me on the computer, saw id been a loyal customer, who bought a lot of tires for long time.

Posts: 2217 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
“Loyal customer” or not shouldn’t matter. High pressure sales is a turn off for most people.

———————————————

Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
What did Belle say the tread depth was?

6/32

And day two without having the TPMS warning light illuminated and having to add air is a definite plus.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8114 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
At 6/32”, I’d run those tires through the winter.

At 4/32”, I’d consider replacing before winter, but that’s just me.

There could have been a miscommunication. Discount could have said your tires have 4/32” of useful tread left, which would be true, but that doesn’t mean they need replacing. If they said the tires need replacing now, then that’s the part that would tick me off.

It seems like Discount was giving you solid advice about the rim leak and TPMS sensors (this visit, not the past ones). Since you told Belle about your Discount experience, you don’t know if Belle just simply told you what you wanted to hear. They may have said the same thing as Discount.

Posts: 10980 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I know what he said and how he presented it. Usable tread depth was not mentioned.

On the wheel corrosion, the use of bead sealer has been an acceptable repair for any years, GM addresses it’s use in TSB 98-03-10-006G and I would assume other manufacturers do the same.

I try to use shops and people that I dealt with over the years but as time passes more of those have retired/closed/sold out and the franchised places like oil change shops/tire stores are revolving doors, just the nature of the business. Tires, I normally call one of my old wholesale contacts but they no longer do installs in house but at least I can call for recommendations. I don’t mind spending money to keep our vehicles up both mechanically and cosmetically. Last summer my Wrangler’s driver seat outer wing (cloth seats) wore through. Only seat trim I could find was used so it got a new cushion and a set of Katzskin leather covers, those will probably outlast the Jeep.

Guess I’m hard headed but after close to a half century in auto dealership fixed operations before I retired in 2017(service and parts) I’ve seen a lot of unsavory practices, high pressure and out and out ****ery pulled on customers and on some gullible employees.

Like I said early on, I have a problem with on a Tuesday visit the tire repair was done with no adverse conditions noted and advised and in a week and a half being told I need a set of tires and wheels to repair my vehicle. And basically a refusal to even attempt to seal and reseat the bead.

I definitely understand sudden catastrophic failures along with consequential failures during a repair but not this.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: shovelhead,

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8114 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post