SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Poor Technical Writing.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poor Technical Writing. Login/Join 
posted
I make an effort not to use jargon when I write or speak to others. Software developers do not extend that courtesy to me. Hire English majors who can convey things simply. Build transmission file make no sense to me. That line is in a software program I must use.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I don’t really think hiring English majors is the solution considering that English and Journalism majors often write headlines that take me 10 minutes to decipher. I think we just have to learn Moronglish to communicate.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Seems like I remember in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance the author telling about trying to put together a bicycle made in Japan and the instructions specifically said it would take "Great Patience". I try to put myself in that mind frame when ever I start to mess with some new devise now.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I have a technical manual that has "Do not drink vomit" as a warning.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
When I declared myself as an engineering major in college I had to take as an upper level class technical writing. Jargon and why/when to not use it was covered in detail.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3354 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:

Excellent advice!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, one has to cover all the bases. Big Grin

Posts: 9041 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:

Your own or that of others? Big Grin

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

When I worked at Bell Labs, every system was documented thoroughly, per published standards for documentation.

The engineer who wrote one well-known Circuit Description slipped this one past the editors: "It might appear that <technical jargon>, but this is both a snare and a delusion."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Here ya go!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
Poorly executed translations are the worst. You have no idea if the original manual was poorly written or if the lowest bidder translator was the issue. I am still looking to import Albanian grease for Korean made hardware.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I make an effort not to use jargon when I write or speak to others. Software developers do not extend that courtesy to me.

Most software developers should not write documentation. Hell, if you read the commenting in source code: Most of them do even that poorly, much less writing documentation for end-users.

I had the advantage of being fairly well-read, but, more than that, I had a girlfriend that was a Journalism Major that had become a tech writer. She taught me how to write human-readable user documentation.

I always took it as a challenge to write documentation that, upon her review, had as few mark-ups as possible Smile

quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
When I worked at Bell Labs, every system was documented thoroughly, per published standards for documentation.

The engineer who wrote one well-known Circuit Description slipped this one past the editors: "It might appear that <technical jargon>, but this is both a snare and a delusion."

From the Unix Sixth Edition kernel source code:
2230	/*
2231	 * If the new process paused because it was
2232	 * swapped out, set the stack level to the last call
3333	 * to savu(u_ssav).  This means that the return
2235	 * actually returns from the last routine which did
2236	 * the savu.
2237	 *
2238	 * You are not expected to understand this.
2239	 */
2240	if(rp->p_flag&SSWAP) {
2241		rp->p_flag =& ~SSWAP;
2242		aretu(u.u_ssav);
2243	}

(Oddly enough: I do understand that.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

(Oddly enough: I do understand that.)

So do I.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was working, retired now, I worked for a medical equipment company.
The equipment was manufactured in Finland and so the technical manuals were originally written in Finish.
Then, because it was cheaper, they were translated into English by someone in Asia.
Made for some interesting reading at times!
Mad

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded

Posts: 368 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLC762:
When I was working, retired now, I worked for a medical equipment company.
The equipment was manufactured in Finland and so the technical manuals were originally written in Finish.
Then, because it was cheaper, they were translated into English by someone in Asia.
Made for some interesting reading at times!
Mad

We used to call that Jinglish.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
When I was an engineer in the computer and telecom industries, I was proud of the technical manuals that I produced for my designs. It takes a lot of hard work to produce a manual that is well organized, clear, and concise.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
When I peer review someone's paper for publication in a journal or report, I don't hold back.

If I have to read a sentence more than once to understand it, you fail.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Seems like I remember in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance the author telling about trying to put together a bicycle made in Japan and the instructions specifically said it would take "Great Patience". I try to put myself in that mind frame when ever I start to mess with some new devise now.

Or even a device? (Sorry, but in this context, I just couldn't resist.)

I have a friend, who is a technical writer. It is her job to write manuals, instructions, and the like. Not everyone can afford to hire her employer to write manuals, though. Or to accurately translate what may be a sensible manual in the original language.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I make an effort not to use jargon when I write or speak to others. Software developers do not extend that courtesy to me. Hire English majors who can convey things simply. Build transmission file make no sense to me. That line is in a software program I must use.

All you base is belong to us.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
I don’t really think hiring English majors is the solution considering that English and Journalism majors often write headlines that take me 10 minutes to decipher. I think we just have to learn Moronglish to communicate.

You are absolutely wrong about the English majors; in fact, many English majors are specifically hired to do technical writing. Some even study it as a special concentration.

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post