SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I Hate Dental Work
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Hate Dental Work Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
Tooth #19 went bad, dentist said it could not be saved, so it was extracted and a bridge was installed using #18 and #20 for anchors.

Dentist said that I should get maybe 25 years out of it. That was 27 years ago.
Just recently, #18 developed problems, could not be saved. Extracted a couple weeks ago, new bridge for #18 and #19, using #17, #20, and #21 for anchors is in the works.

Temporary bridge installed three days ago, much discomfort*. Permanent bridge is scheduled in another six weeks.

This morning a piece of the temporary bridge broke off. Yes, on Sunday, of course. Contacted dentist via Relay Service for Hearing Impaired (the best way for me to handle a "telephone call"). Scheduled to arrive dentist office tomorrow (Monday) morning and sit on my narrow ass in the waiting room until they can get to me. Will make sure that my Kindle is fully charged, and loaded with a few books.
*NOTE: Doc did give me a prescription for some sort of dope, but I do not do well with narcotics, so I will just stumble along with ibuprofen and / or acetaminophen.

I suppose that I shouldn't whine, many people have problems that are far worse. I'll try to count my blessings, instead of complaining about setbacks.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had some root canals go bad including one that broke off in my jaw. Was not fun at all.
3 teeth removed for root canals that went bad and 1 tooth removed that was cracked from an altercation.
Dental work does suck.
Hope everything turns out good for you with the least amount of pain.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I’ll be 38 in a few days and have never had even a cavity. Only had braces and 4 wisdom teeth removed. Keeping my fingers crossed.

None of these stories make me feel good. Eek

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Right there with you. I just got drilled for an implant (my 5th) yesterday. And yet another tooth may be showing signs of cracking.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16353 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Me too. I've only got 9 teeth left and a pair of large partials.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I can see it now. I'll sit in the treatment chair, reach over and very gently grab the dentist's testicles, and say, "Now, we're not going to hurt each other, are we?"

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
What if he's a she?

I hope they get you sorted V-Tail

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
What if he's a she?
I had not considered that, but this he is a he, although everyone else in the office is a she.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
I was in the chair for over three hours last Tuesday. Dentist ran into problems.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was in the chair for over three hours last Tuesday. Dentist ran into problems.
About the same for me, this past week, prepping three teeth to anchor the temporary bridge that failed this morning. He probably used about a half gallon of lidocaine.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I guess I inherited my parents bad teeth. They both had dentures by age ~30. From what I saw of the trouble they had with them I declared to keep my original teeth as long as possible at any cost. I still have all mine but do not have a single one left that has not been worked on. Too many root canals and caps to remember. Lots of $$$, but to me worth it.

My child hood dentist was so slow he only saw two patients a day and used reusable needles that looked to me to be as big as a #2 pencil lead. I can still imagine the sound of him rattling his pan of needles looking for the least dull one to use! Now that was an experience to hate! Child abuse it was.

These days the biggest fear is to my wallet!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just hate dentistry period.

I have pretty decent teeth but last visit they told me that I was going to have to get one pulled before too long.

I hate cleanings also. Yuuuuck!!

Posts: 796 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Closest I ever came to being arrested was due to a Uh...disagreement with a dentist mid visit. Sorry sir.

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been very lucky. I've had the same dentist for over 45 years. He doesn't do root canals or extractions anymore. I've had about 4 root canals, and about 6 crowns. Keep your teeth as long as possible. People are quick to get them yanked because of the expense of root canals and crowns, but then you still have to do something where the tooth was or your teeth will shift. Not a fan of bridges, if I needed one I'd probably go for implants instead.

Posts: 660 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfpacker:

I have pretty decent teeth but last visit they told me that I was going to have to get one pulled before too long.

Yikes, even cleanings bother you??? That's the easy part. Wonder why they want to yank your tooth??? If it needs a root canal get it done and then get a crown.

Posts: 660 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dentistry is so much better now than when I was a kid, I don't mind going. Once upon a time I hated (feared) them so much, the MP's came and took me to dental for a cleaning. (I was in an "immediate response" type unit.)

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MMSIG229:
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfpacker:

Yikes, even cleanings bother you??? That's the easy part. Wonder why they want to yank your tooth??? If it needs a root canal get it done and then get a crown.

For whatever reason my “gag reflex” can be triggered by brushing my back molars. Cleanings are not easy for me or the technician. Anything that would help this?

Yes, the extraction will need to be discussed and clarified.

Posts: 796 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always felt it worst in my wallet.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
UPDATE to OP: The temporary bridge lasted almost 72 hours. Mad

Got back to the dentist Monday. Temporary bridge was removed and temporary crowns were installed on the three teeth that will be the anchors for the permanent(?) bridge.

I ate very little after that, soft stuff like cottage cheese, yogurt, etc.

I was advised not to brush, nor use Water-Pik in the area, just rinse & swish with hot salt water. Doing that (rinsing), one of the temporary crowns fell out. This one made it almost eight hours before failing.

Will go back to dentist office later this morning.

Whoo-hoo!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
In the meantime, denture paste works well to hold the crown in place. The last time I was in to get a crown replaced(last week; it let go while I was munching on some fried catfish over the weekend) the assistant told me that regular toothpaste can work. Just don't use whitening paste as she told me it can hurt like hell if the tooth hasn't had a root canal.

I'm with you, dental work is for the birds. I HATE it.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3354 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post