SIGforum
Profanity in front of women and children

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/5230028194

May 09, 2022, 07:50 PM
LoboGunLeather
Profanity in front of women and children
I am a member of two private clubs, primarily because I do not wish to live in the gutter with every piece of trash that chooses to show up at the same time.

I will not hesitate to remind those who use foul language around ladies and children to mind their manners. Occasionally one will try to force the issue with me, in which case I will not hesitate to file a complaint with the club management and expect appropriate disciplinary action. Several obnoxious individuals have found themselves suspended or expelled as a result.

I'm not a prude. I'm not a bible-thumper. I'm not any better than anyone else I deal with every day. I did not grow up inside a bubble. I am over 70 years old, I am a two-tour Vietnam combat veteran, I am a retired cop, I owned and ran a business with dozens of employees for two decades.

Had a private conversation with a young man just a couple of weeks ago, bringing to his attention just how frequently he used some variant of the "f-bomb" in every conversation. He actually thanked me and gave me his word that he would do his best to correct a bad habit.

Bad habits with a strong cultural influence. The more it is tolerated the worse it will become.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders
May 25, 2022, 12:56 PM
slabsides45
I am generally a peaceful person, though my size (height and weight) make me look less so. I don't get into other people's conversations, with the exception that if my children are present and you are using colorful language AND being loud and borderline intentional about it, I will say something. Usually a mannerly reminder that kids are present and can hear is sufficient. I've had a few who want to stink eye me (if something is said with their buddies around), and one or two who've asked what my intent is should they not. Each time my willingness to step outside like gentlemen (away from the kids) has defused the situation.

As with most things in my life, I try to make it a policy to treat others as I'd like to be treated, and that includes being polite-and not bluffing.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers
May 25, 2022, 01:52 PM
irreverent
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of inarticulate motherfuckers.

I am writing this one down.

Smile I believe the original author might be George Carlin… at least that’s where I first heard it.

"Trust, but verify."
May 25, 2022, 04:55 PM
Bulldog7972
quote:
Originally posted by LoboGunLeather:
I am a member of two private clubs, primarily because I do not wish to live in the gutter with every piece of trash that chooses to show up at the same time.

I will not hesitate to remind those who use foul language around ladies and children to mind their manners. Occasionally one will try to force the issue with me, in which case I will not hesitate to file a complaint with the club management and expect appropriate disciplinary action. Several obnoxious individuals have found themselves suspended or expelled as a result.

I'm not a prude. I'm not a bible-thumper. I'm not any better than anyone else I deal with every day. I did not grow up inside a bubble. I am over 70 years old, I am a two-tour Vietnam combat veteran, I am a retired cop, I owned and ran a business with dozens of employees for two decades.

Had a private conversation with a young man just a couple of weeks ago, bringing to his attention just how frequently he used some variant of the "f-bomb" in every conversation. He actually thanked me and gave me his word that he would do his best to correct a bad habit.

Bad habits with a strong cultural influence. The more it is tolerated the worse it will become.

Excellent. I can swear like a sailor but I have enough discipline to not swear in front of women and children. To me, it's disrespectful.
May 26, 2022, 10:49 AM
Genorogers
Using profane language can still be respectful if you take your fucking hat off.
June 08, 2022, 11:41 AM
eLLegitLegit
I live near an Army Reserve base. I was having dinner at a local Mexican restaurant, and there was a group of 8 or so military customers sitting close to us. There were young children even closer to them, and the military folks were dropping f bombs all over the place. I walked over and kindly asked them to have a little respect. They did.

I was in for 25 years, I curse a lot. But I am also aware of my surroundings.
June 15, 2022, 02:27 PM
Marlin Fan
I try to avoid it. Some women and teens are worse .
June 16, 2022, 10:33 AM
jhe888
I certainly try not curse in front of children, but don't worry about it much with women. I will limit swearing in front of strangers, but that goes equally for men and women.

I can't say I have ever been tempted to belt someone for swearing. That seems a bit 19th century.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
June 16, 2022, 11:00 AM
spunk639
I will not swear in front of children, and don’t like to see or hear it. Women I hear many that make sailors blush. Correcting somebody for swearing is a problem I won’t visit or begin unless really really absolutely necessary, and then with extreme niceness. My neighborhood still has and has had its share of wise guys (think Good Fellas etc) wannabes and other loons, who swear, I’ve seen situations in a restaurant or pub deteriorate fast when trying to correct the wrong person. One such an instance a guy was getting upset that a group of men were cursing and swearing and made it a point to complain to the staff, who were reluctant to say something to the group, but did, stopped for a few minutes then went back to previous levels of cussing. Complaining person went to the group and began to complain, was told by the group to mind his own business, complaining person got indignant, ended up badly for him. Wine or water bottle to the head and a beating and a half by the group at the table. Not condoning it at all, but growing up in the city where there’s a lot of bad guys, mobsters, bank robbers, associates you need to be careful who you call out, your good intentions can get you hospitalized or killed. In the instance I speak half the restaurant left before cops arrived and others that stayed had nothing to say or absolutely wrong information for police, intentionally, you stayed out of problems that weren’t your own.
June 16, 2022, 12:59 PM
Schmelby
I never said anything to the guy. I think he was drunk.
It was like the Sienfeld tv show where George talks very loud in a diner but throw
an Fbomb in almost every sentence. We just hurried up and left.