SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    “I’m not arguing with an eight year old about climate change today. Go to your room!”
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

“I’m not arguing with an eight year old about climate change today. Go to your room!” Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted
Words I never foresaw myself saying. Kid watched a Bill Nye video and decided to educate dad. I informed him that ‘ol Bill wasn’t a scientist, he was a mechanical engineer. When he rolled his eyes and started explaining about the ice caps, I kinda snapped.

We had a close date for selling our home. It was going to be September 21st. The buyers got told some fucking horror story about some other home sale and decided to have the utility company verify that there isn’t some sort of weird homeowners assessment or something. The relocation company said no to whatever bullshit they tried to stipulate in the contract, so our house is back on the market. We found this out this afternoon while looking at the first home out of about fifty that we’ve looked at that would work for us. This is worse than being told “stop” when you’re balls-deep and nearing the finish line. Blue balls ain’t got shit on this. I am so pissed, I could drop-kick a whole litter of kittens through the rose window of Notre Dame, one at a time, and I love cats. This is the day my third grade son picks to argue with me about the ice caps melting. Now ain’t the time, son.

Posts: 17124 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
But… the polar bears…

Damn Ed, I’m sorry to hear that. Having buyers lined up and then back to market is hard. I hope that a new couple finds your home amazing and pays cash.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I am reminded of the meme where the Mayans are making a human sacrifice to the gods for better weather and it reads, "governments have been dealing with climate change since 800 BC"

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
The buyers probably couldn’t qualify anymore or realized with current rates they couldn’t afford the mortgage payment and found a way to bail on you. That thing about a possible assessment sounds like BS to me.

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Man, I couldn't imagine ever trying to lecture the old man. Even at the ripe old age of seventy-one I don't even want to think about how that would've gone over

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
The buyers probably couldn’t qualify anymore or realized with current rates they couldn’t afford the mortgage payment and found a way to bail on you. That thing about a possible assessment sounds like BS to me.

Agreed. A lot of residential deals are canceling all over the country.

As for your son...knock of the science guy. We removed our son from exposure to all of that, and everything changed for the better.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I think this is worse than the time I asked my dad if he knew who Jimmy Page is...

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
It's apparent when you're a parent and when you're not...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Smudge, My brother is a realtor in Green Bay. He focuses on bank owned property and nearly daily calls to tell me some bullshit story that buyers/brokers/bankers come up with to queer a deal. Ain't' simple any more.
Welcome to sunny AZ.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
My dad’s eyes could get very cold and grey when he got fucked with.
I never messed with him when things got serious. Never even imagined doing it.
Sorry to hear of the fall through.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Man, I couldn't imagine ever trying to lecture the old man. Even at the ripe old age of seventy-one I don't even want to think about how that would've gone over

I was maybe 13 and my brother was 12.

I hear this argument downstairs between him and my dad and then I hear him yell “asshole!” at my Dad then he runs up to our room where I was and locks our door.

Precisely 25 seconds later the door goes BOOM and literally flies off the hinges, my dad kicked it down comes in there and gives my brother the spanking of his life.

You would not be able to get away with that now, this was about 35 years ago

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:

I was maybe 13 and my brother was 12.

I hear this argument downstairs between him and my dad and then I hear him yell “asshole!” at my Dad then he runs up to our room where I was and locks our door.

Precisely 25 seconds later the door goes BOOM and literally flies off the hinges, my dad kicked it down comes in there and gives my brother the spanking of his life.

If I had EVER said that to my Dad, I wouldn't be here today. Even raising your voice was simply not an option.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all. The house thing will work out how it’s supposed to. We weren’t led all the way here just to fail. I believe that. It’s just frustrating to have someone quit on us at the finish line, especially after being a total pain in the ass leading up to this. Yesterday was a perfect storm of bullshit all swirled together.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

I’m unsure what you mean by this, but it feels like a bit of a backhand. I hope I’m reading you wrong, here. Like you, I am a product of prolific abuse at the hands of my father. I’m trying very hard every day to be the father that he was not. My son is far bolder with me than I ever was with my father precisely because I’ve never beat his ass until I broke his spirit, and when I’m on the verge of losing it, I tell him to head to his room and we revisit the offending issue when I’m cooler about it, like we did over a father-son breakfast this morning while mom slept in. If you’re implying this somehow means it’s apparent that I’m not doing my job as a parent, then I don’t know what to say. He’s got a good spirit and there’s not a mean bone in his body. I won’t risk ruining that because I don’t want him to debate me. Don’t take that to mean he doesn’t get his ass paddled when it’s warranted - that absolutely happens, but I’m not in the business of raising a doormat.

Posts: 17124 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Which is one reason why, though I could teach, I'll have nothing to do with it these days.

When I was brought up a child did not back-talk adults. A child did not address adults by their first names. A child invariably obeyed adults and always addressed them as "Mr.", "Mrs.", "Miss", "Sir," or "M'am."

Only exception I recall to the above rules was one of my dad's best friends whose nickname was Smitty. We addressed him as "Uncle Smitty."

My wife and I finished watching The Gilmore Girls recently. Throughout the entire series they had children addressing adults by their first names. Was like fingernails on a chalkboard to me the entire time.

I recall once thinking to challenge the old man. All I recall was him towering over me, telling me to go ahead and take my best shot. I saw nothing but a world of hurt in store for me if I chose to do that and backed down.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

I’m unsure what you mean by this, but it feels like a bit of a backhand. I hope I’m reading you wrong, here. ...

I meant, only parents can experience what you have, and the "perfect timing" of a child being assertive and standing their ground while a significant life event is taking a dump in your lap, because of other people's actions.

But the timing of children can be ironic...

And having been down similar roads, I can see how my words came across other than how I meant it.

I hope a better buyer comes along soon.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Understood. I appreciate it, sir. Smile

Yes, if nothing else, children certainly have interesting timing.

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear smudge. My realtor friend say's the prices are dropping and people (sellers) are struggling to find the sweet spot while still trying to make the sale.

There are market times that people cannot pay enough and then there are times the market is falling and making a sale can get very convoluted and difficult.

Still interested in seeing a for sale add for your place. Email in profile.

Thanks.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post