SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Insomnia
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Insomnia Login/Join 
Caught in a loop
posted
Here I am, at 0315 trying to get to sleep.

My head is killing me, makes sense given my migraines are largely weather based and we had a huge storm blow through yesterday.

I recently learned something: insomnia isn't just a migraine trigger for me. It's also a symptom. 's called a prodrome, and it strikes 1-3 days before the rest of the migraine does (I've been able to tell the rain within the next 72 hours pretty well the past few years). I look at the weather forecast, and fuck me it's supposed to rain Wednesday now too. Makes sense, I suppose.

It ain't as bad as next week - oh, that's gonna SUCK. My forecast only goes out to Thursday but rain is on the menu every day after Sunday.

I could really use some consistency in the weather right now. It seems every other day something else is punching me in the face.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3354 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Sorry, that sucks.

I don't have the migraine but I am here at 3:30 with you. I have terrible insomnia, I barely sleep. I know it is ruining my health, its to that level.

Wish I had some advice, but you are not alone

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm there too. I've never heard of a weather aspect to it. My mother had terrible migraines,
I'm glad I don't. I have so many things on my mind when I try to sleep my mind races.
For about the last six weeks I average about two hours of sleep, sometimes go two or three
days with none at all. Some days I feel good, other days I'm a zombie.
I hope you get well soon.

Posts: 957 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Barometric pressure is a known trigger for migraines.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5325 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
Barometric pressure is a known trigger for migraines.

Yup. Bane of my existence. I just want to live in peace, damn it. Instead I'm dead to the world one night and bouncing around like an ADD kid hopped up on espresso. Maintenance medication (Aimovig, in this case, as well as Botox) has put a serious dent in The Suck, but I still have my bad days. Nothing that's gonna land me in the ER again, thankfully, but I'm coming up on time to play pincushion again [Botox] and it's showing.

My issue has always been falling asleep; once I'm out I'm out. I've had weeks like that, though. It's rough, and I really hope you all get some reprieve.

I did manage to fall asleep around 0330-0345, woke up to my alarm going off at 0600. Got up and started the day. My hope is that I'll rebound and crash tonight.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3354 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I no longer get migraines (thank God) but I still have insomnia. Someone turned me on to CBN gummies, and I gotta say, problem solved. One gummy an hour before bedtime.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16362 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
For insomnia, might white noise help? A fan- a good loud fan that doesn't produce higher frequencies?

I have tinnitus and I really can't sleep without sound masking, but even if I didn't have the ringing sounds in my ears, I think white noise does aid in getting and staying asleep, but it can't be on the quiet side. It has to be something with fairly substantial volume.

Also, when it's late at night and you can't sleep, have you tried a shower or bath?

Like everyone, I suffer from sleepless nights on occasion but thankfully, it's not a problem for me. Naturally, if you don't sleep well, it affects every aspect of your life and it's bad for your health, so I wish you luck and success.

Posts: 107617 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Sleep is complicated, lots of variables. Not too long ago I got diagnosed with Apnea and have a machine now, what a world of difference.

Have you tried melatonin? ZzQuil Pure Zzzs has one that is melatonin and magnesium that helps me.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get a sleep study. NOT the kind you take home but one in a sleep lab. Then start from there with a pulmonologist. Sleep aids are of limited use and some are addictive.

Posts: 17239 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder:
Sleep is complicated, lots of variables. Not too long ago I got diagnosed with Apnea and have a machine now, what a world of difference.

Have you tried melatonin? ZzQuil Pure Zzzs has one that is melatonin and magnesium that helps me.

I'm waiting on mine to be delivered...being active duty I might get it somewhere around 2032 or so.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6319 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Get a sleep study. NOT the kind you take home but one in a sleep lab. Then start from there with a pulmonologist. Sleep aids are of limited use and some are addictive.

Saw a pulmonologist who is also a neurologist a few years ago. Did a sleep study at his request, it was of little use except for definitively ruling out apnea. Full on wires-glued-to-the-head sleep study.

He gave me the number of a psychologist who does CBT for sleep, and that was a lot of help for a while.

I think while my most recent arm issues aren't giving me enough problems to wake me up it hurts enough to interfere with falling asleep, or at the very least it's just enough that I toss and turn but don't remember it. I'm currently waiting for them to call to schedule the surgery. Between that and my migraines it can make for a heady brew.

ETA: I use multiple fans already. Tinnitus as well. No CBD or THC products by my choice.

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Here I am at 0130, still awake.

I understand your dislike of this shit.

With respect to your headaches, those sound more like cluster headaches, not migraines. A completely different cause, with very different treatments. I have cluster headaches myself and they come in groups of 3-5 nights, usually around equinox and solstice. They are merciless and murderously painful.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
You guys are not alone....

Posts: 1773 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Right here with you unable to sleepers. Been a long night. I know some of y’all are waking up this early, but I have hardly slept yet.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
Right here with you unable to sleepers. Been a long night. I know some of y’all are waking up this early, but I have hardly slept yet.

I fell “asleep” around 0230, but still made it to the gym at 0505.

Now I am contemplating eating a small town I’m so hungry.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder what causes my cyclical sleep patterns.

I sleep like a water soaked log for four or six nights,
Not even a 3 a.m. pit stop

Then six nights with a pit stop,
Then three or four nights of plain old waking up and finding something to do for two or three hours,
At 2:30 a.m.
As wide awake as can be.

Then
Restart the cycle.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54651 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Those of you with persistent sleep problems might try creatine.

I used to sleep like a log. Then, the last twenty years or so, not so much. It got bad enough I resorted to melatonin, diazepam (Valium®), or zoldipem (Ambien®), depending upon how bad it was.

Even after retirement, six years ago, the problem remained. Only it wasn't quite as much a concern, anymore, because I didn't have to sleep/wake on a schedule any longer.

A few months back I read creatine, in addition to helping with endurance during strength training, was also found to aid cognition and sleep.

So I started creatine supplementation again. It could be coincidental, but, I do seem to be sleeping better, now. I still wake up once or twice at night, but, now I get up, hit the head, go back to bed, and go back to sleep.

I still occasionally have a night where I wake up more than once or twice or have trouble getting back to sleep, but, those are more the exceptions than the rule, now.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Medication is the wrong way to go for insmonia. After a careful evaluation to rule out apnea, CBT is the way to go. This was mentioned earlier in the thread. It is also important to clear your mind and room of distractions.

Posts: 17239 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Medication is the wrong way to go for insmonia.
As I'm sure you'll recall, I'm generally medication-adverse, so I won't disagree with that.

But, for the record: Creatine is not a medication, per se: Creatine:
quote:

Creatine is a naturally-occurring substance that's found in meat and fish, and also made by the human body in the liver, kidneys, and pancreas. It is converted into creatine phosphate or phosphocreatine and stored in the muscles, where it is used for energy. During high-intensity, short-duration exercise, such as lifting weights or sprinting, phosphocreatine is used as a source of ATP, a major carrier of energy within the human body.

Creatine is perhaps the most widely-studied supplement ever. It's potential effects, both good and bad, are pretty well known.

For those who suffer the effects of sleep deprivation due to insomnia, even if it doesn't help with sleep, creatine may be of help in another way: Effect of creatine supplementation and sleep deprivation, with mild exercise, on cognitive and psychomotor performance, mood state, and plasma concentrations of catecholamines and cortisol

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am reading a new book about sleep. Seems very informative so far and offer suggestions

https://www.amazon.com/Sleep-H...id=1688600137&sr=8-1

This message has been edited. Last edited by: oldbill123,

Posts: 1404 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post