SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Verizon will not call you! Or how my dad almost got scammed.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Verizon will not call you! Or how my dad almost got scammed. Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted
My dad calls me to tell me Verizon's fraud department called him. He says they told him someone was ordering two $1,000 each iPhones on his account and they wanted to make sure it was legit. My dad asked what address the phones where being shipped to. When they guy asked why, my dad replied that he was going to go to that address and shoot them. Go dad!

Unfortunately, the guy suggested resetting the password and my dad fell for it. Here's how it works:

When logging into your My Verizon account, you can click "Forgot Password". Verizon will text a temporary password to your phone. You enter this code into the web page and you then enter a new password.

The guy, at his own computer, clicked "Forgot Password", which generated the text to my dad. The guy then asked my dad to read the number in the text to him which my dad did. Guy entered the number and changed the password gaining access to my dad's Verizon account online.

I immediately went to my dad's house and dialed 611 from his phone. They confirmed that they will not call you, only text or email and this was a common scam. My dad actually had both a text and email from Verizon saying his password had been changed at the time he was talking to the scammer. I changed his password and checked his account. His address and phone number had both been changed, but no orders or anything else had been done. Unfortunately, my dad also gave the last 4 digits of his SSN to the guy as well. Hopefully, that doesn't become a problem in the future.

These people piss me off.

Posts: 10828 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Too bad for your dad. I take it you made sure nothing was ordered?

I get the “because you have paid your credit cards on time you qualify for a lower rate.” Scam.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
I despise thieves! These guys should be hung by their balls IMO.

Thanks for the synopsis it will be shared. Sorry about Dad's situation hopefully nothing comes of it.

BTW, the last 4 digits of the SS # are the key. The first three and second two are easier to decipher they are based on geography and decades - it's the last 4 that are hard.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
BTW, the last 4 digits of the SS # are the key. The first three and second two are easier to decipher they are based on geography and decades - it's the last 4 that are hard.

Well that's just great. I'm going to have him put credit holds or whatever they are called with the credit bureaus in the morning.

Posts: 10828 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
My wife and I had this happen to us with AT&T. Same scam. Same phones ordered. I believe these assholes are aware of your account activity, as my wife had made some changes to our account, and we got hit with a phone call after the fact, asking about recent changes. She gave them our PIN, password, etc... I immediately called AT&T to confirm, they canceled the phone order, and I asked that our account be "locked". Nothing can be changed to your account without you physically calling them yourself once it is locked.

Since our account was locked, my wife wasn't able to use the app on her phone, or go online to check out our account. This got to be a pain in the ass after a few months, so I asked for our account to be unlocked. Almost an hour later, we started getting phone calls from "AT&T Fraud Department". I don't answer, they don't leave messages. I block the number after I get the call. It's helped cut down the number of calls I get, sometimes it was almost 10 a day, to maybe getting one a week.

Just pay attention, if you make a change to any cellular service account, and get a phone call regarding "recent changes to your account", it is a scammer. AT&T confirmed they will not call you.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post