SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    PO New Service- They Open Your Mail For You!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PO New Service- They Open Your Mail For You! Login/Join 
Picture of just1tym
posted
I thought I'd add this into the long list of shipping and/or delivery screw up's. I recently needed to order a new VISA Debit card and my Credit Union was nice enough to use my same acct number but with a different 3-digit code. The delivery was scheduled to be delivered within 7-10 business days. It was late however, the envelope was opened at the top and side by a letter type/knife opener. Not only was it opened but they used clear scotch tape to reseal the top edge Roll Eyes. I immediately called my CU and cancelled the card.

I guess that mail thieves are getting so desperate stealing credit cards, but now are thinking that the recipient is stupid enough to call the 1-800 number and activate the card knowing that the envelope has been breached!

I can't walk into my credit union because of my mobility, so mailing it has been a good option in the past. But maybe they're employing new tactics at the PO thinking we're not smart enough to catch it. Incredible, this is a first ever for me. Never had my mail opened in the past, let alone resealed and sent along anyway.

Here's a snap of the received opened mail..note the tape job at the top. They left the one side of the envelope open Eek

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Call the Postal Inspection Service office in your area and report it. They are the law enforcement for the Post Office and unlike other federal agencies they take that stuff seriously. Probably a letter carrier stealing from the mail. They need to know.

Posts: 2775 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spunk639:
Call the Postal Inspection Service office in your area and report it. They are the law enforcement for the Post Office and unlike other federal agencies they take that stuff seriously. Probably a letter carrier stealing from the mail. They need to know.

It has been reported. In addition I know that the CU credit cards are likely sent from another location outside of my CU, I suggested that it may be a good alternative to mail cards in another delivery method, like those bubble wrap insulated mailing envelopes so that someone cannot feel the card inside like these common envelopes. I'm also going to change my security question answer to something I would only know, that isn't common knowledge that can be referenced by a good search. Though, at my age I'm not the most viable target, I'm fairly insignificant in the scheme of things.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
My just had a replacement credit card arrive via FedEx.

Posts: 9041 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I'm a bit confused. You're blaming the post office for mail theft? Was this letter in a post office box or was it in a mailbox on the street?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Many times I’ve received mail in my PO Box that had evidently been put in the wrong box and opened by whatever nitwit received it in error. Bank statements, credit card bills, etc.

The error is shared by the USPS and the person who received and opened the misdelivered mail.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I'm a bit confused. You're blaming the post office for mail theft? Was this letter in a post office box or was it in a mailbox on the street?

I'm not blaming anybody. It was delivered to my mailbox by my front door. It was also discussed that the mail could have been inadvertently sent to another home and the homeowner mistakenly opened my mail to find it was delivered to the wrong house and they may have passed it on for delivery. This has happened to me before with being sent a letter for another neighbor and I just put it on my mailbox to be picked up by my carrier and delivered to the right recipient.

Honestly, I really don't see somebody opening my mail, especially a credit card, and put tape on it and continue to deliver it. I posted this only due to how strange it was, and a first ever for me. I was't even going to report it but it was a credit card, and needed to be addressed.

I certainly wasn't going to activate the card nonetheless. I called and ordered a replacement, it would be foolish not to. Mistakes happen, I get it.

Regards, Will G.

posted Hide Post
My bank doesn't mail credit cards anymore. You gotta go get them.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
change my security question answer to something I would only know, that isn't common knowledge

I generally answer those with nonsense answers, completely unrelated to the question and often not a word.

For example, if the question is something like 'city where you met your spouse' - well, there are only so many cities to guess. So an answer like 'Spiderspice 212', say, means that guesswork, or even diligent detective work, would hit a brick wall.

The account managers don't care if your answers to these questions are 'right' (and, how would they know?) - they only care if you can repeat one of them when they ask. Wink

Of course, this approach also requires that you yourself keep track securely. No pain, no gain.

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
change my security question answer to something I would only know, that isn't common knowledge

I generally answer those with nonsense answers completely unrelated to the question and often not a word.

For example, if the question is something like 'city where you met your spouse' - well, there are only so many cities to guess. So an answer like 'Spiderspice 212', say, means that guesswork, or even diligent detective work, would hit a brick wall.

The account managers don't care if your answers to these questions are 'right' (and, how would they know?) - they only care if you can repeat one of them when they ask. Wink

Of course, this approach also requires that you yourself keep track securely. No pain, no gain.

Bingo! Exactly what I had in mind, thank you. I have all my passwords handwritten in a monthly expense notebook. Not that this will totally make my ID secure but if I can do anything to make things more secure I'm for it.

Regards, Will G.

posted Hide Post
My wife had a medication envelope delivered with no medication. An empty envelope that had been opened with a razor. I immediately called the Postal Inspectors and then the online pharmacy.

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post