SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    To whomever designed the AMC theater in mid-TN....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

To whomever designed the AMC theater in mid-TN.... Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
You, sir.... Are a fucking idiot.

The building is backwards, so you have to walk all the way around from the parking lot to the back which is the entrance. This is fun for the elderly.

Then you funnel in from a large lobby into the slim corridor to the concession stand, which backs up like crazy. Then if you got popcorn you have to wait in line for the butter station which is a total disaster, then if you have drinks another massive line for the two soda machines which are trashed and take forever as people pick what flavor they want. Then the lids and straws are in a tiny nook between the machines so you have to wait to get a chance to get those. People bitching the whole time, kids making a mess, lines all intermingled and blocking the whole hallway.

What a stupid design. I thought the old theater was bad.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
You...fill your own drinks... Confused Two soda machines? lolwut? What are you paying $10/drink for?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Yes you fill your own drinks and butter your own popcorn.

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Concessions at the movie theater? That stuff cost and arm and a leg!

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
The theater we use has online ticket purchases and the ability to reserve the seats. The seats are more lounge chairs that power recline to horizontal. Plus the seat rows are wide with plenty of room to walk, even with the seats reclined. Finally Tuesdays are senior discount.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
The theater we use has online ticket purchases and the ability to reserve the seats. The seats are more lounge chairs that power recline to horizontal. Plus the seat rows are wide with plenty of room to walk, even with the seats reclined. Finally Tuesdays are senior discount.

Ours is the same, but the problem is when you get to the theater and deal with the shitty flow of people and lines.

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:

Same guy designed the access streets around most of the Malls here I think.

... You say I have a blank slate to start with? Great! Let me see just how bad I can fuck it up...

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:

Same here, and the place (14 screens IIRC) is well designed with a central concession stand. It's now Rave.

I buy tickets from the home PC and get either a senior or military rate.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Well, they were just keeping up with local design trends. Everything between AMC and the Avenue is a total clusterfuck, so it blends right in. I avoid that area completely if I can.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:

Same guy designed the access streets around most of the Malls here I think.

... You say I have a blank slate to start with? Great! Let me see just how bad I can fuck it up...

Yes when I moved here my wife and I were in total amazement at the fustercluck of roads and parking lots. It was like a drunk baboon threw feces at a board and they drew it up for planning

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
You...fill your own drinks... Confused Two soda machines? lolwut? What are you paying $10/drink for?

Those new Freestyle machines with like 100 different choices, right?

Posts: 33604 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

The machines that take kids 9 times as long to use for all the choices they now have and the older folks 10 times as long to use for the learning curve? I sometimes loathe those freestyle machines.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

Yes. Now imagine a line of literally about 75 people trying to use them, getting their buger books and ass scratchers all over the screen in cold season. Old people who cant figure it out, kids who can't decide, adults tasting flavors, etc.

posted Hide Post
It’s not just your neighborhood AMC theater. They all suck balls. I can tolerate the popcorn that tastes like it came out of a bag from the dollar store but that shit with the “stand in this line if you’re a super duper deluxe ass licking rewards member or that one if you’re just a regular rewards member or some dude off the street that just wants to watch a movie and doesn’t want to be in the fucking club” is getting really fucking annoying. The wife and I watched Mary Poppins last night (payback on me for making her watch all the Die Hard movies on Xmas day) and I couldn’t believe what a colossal clusterfuck the snack bar line was. We have another regional theater chain in Az and they seem to have their shit together on both the rewards program and the concession stands.

Posts: 478 | Location: Arizona | Registered: February 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did not know that people went to Theatres any more. Reading about the experiences confirms that.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I did not know that people went to Theatres any more. Reading about the experiences confirms that.

Sigmund raises hand. We're kind of in the dark ages, no Netflix, Hulu, or HBO. Yes, we do have electricity and cable, but no premium channels. We go to the movies every couple months, usually on a weekday, and pay the senior rate.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sigmund raises hand. We're kind of in the dark ages, no Netflix, Hulu, or HBO. Yes, we do have electricity and cable, but no premium channels. We go to the movies every couple months, usually on a weekday, and pay the senior rate

OK you get a pass. Do you get a printed newspaper as well? That is not meant to be hostile. There is a huge portion of the population that does not have internet or smart phone. Pays generally in cash for things. Not a bad way to live.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
We have two megatheaters in the county, have only been in one of them maybe twice in ten years.

Our city has one two screen theater. Built in 1928. Shows some first run movies, indies and vintage movies also. Last weekend was a run of restored Laurel and Hardy shorts. Saw The Maltese Falcon last year along with Deadpool II. Around Halloween we took a paranormal tour, main thing was to see behind the scenes there.

Owner works the concession stand and sells tickets. Greets everybody that walks in.

We almost lost the theater for good a few years ago. Previous owner sold it, new owner planned to make it a restaurant. When the restaurant owner changed his plans he said it would never reopen as a theater. Local arts council had no interest in rescuing it, they were more interested in saving the opera house, also a plus for the community but short sighted in my opinion. There was enough interest in the community in saving this gem, don't know how the new owner was made aware of this but he was and made the commitment to purchase the theater. And now we have it. Feel fortunate that we do.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Movie theaters are typically the anchor store for any retail location. They face the entrance towards the inside of the shopping center to bring foot traffic to the other stores. The foot traffic then becomes a selling point for the land lord renting out the other storefronts.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Large jackets and bags = bring your own candy, popcorn, and drinks.

At least that's what we do, the one time a year we might go to the theater.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post