New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apples Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why can't I find a good Jonathan? Hell - I'll even take Braeburn or McIntosh if I have to. Just give me a nice tart (but not Granny Smith tart), firm apple to snack on.

Because it’s a regional variety grown primarily in New England and it’s the middle of winter there?

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I was in the local Giant Food today and they had an assortment of apples:

https://giantfoodstores.com/pr...les?searchRef=recent

They will ship locally.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have Winesap, Wealthy, Golden Delicious, Arkansas Black, and Gala trees here on the farm. I grow organic letting the yellow jackets have their share and the deer eat the ones they can reach. I still have plenty from August to December. Winesap is by far the best and keep a long time in the refrigerator.

There are many orchards within 50 miles of me. Even in peak season, I hardly see any in the local grocery stores in the Kansas City area. They grow great old fashion varieties, but I believe they're not what most people are used to and probably wouldn't buy in a chain store.

For store bought apples I like the Gala or Fuji. I also don't care for the Red Delicious, Honey Crisp or Pink Lady. I've seen Cosmic and Envy but have yet to try them.

Posts: 588 | Location: Missouri | Registered: September 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Red delicious is the apple that would look good in a photo but that’s about it. Fantastic looking Apple but pure flavorless mush on the inside.

It’s like cutting open a watermelon only to find it’s already gone grainy.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27929 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to seek out Gala or Fuji apples. I loved them. Then I found Envy and everything else tastes inferior.

Posts: 117 | Registered: January 04, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain,

for cooking we like Northern Spy, have not been able to find any in a few years (fuk town, I head to VA apple country, still cannot find them for sale, )

we hit a few places in he Cville area and get local macintosh, empires, etc, a couple times a year, but for the most part, there is nothing but the same ole same ole in the grocery stores,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Nelson County has a lot of apple orchards. Go in the fall and pick your own:

http://www.silvercreekorchards.com/home/

Another orchard near Warrenton, VA:

https://www.striblingorchard.com/map-of-the-orchard

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
About 6 or so years ago I found a new variety named Pacific Rose. Loved them, bought them for about 3 years. Now I’ve seen none sold locally here for the last 3 or so years. I’m very disappointed.

They came out of New Zealand, and Washington State growers planted the tree stock.

Pacific Rose Link

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post