SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Modern business practices in the construction/renovation industry
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Modern business practices in the construction/renovation industry Login/Join 
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Well, I'll be damned.

You described an almost US Government level of incompetence on HD's part. I am shocked that they finally got their shit together.

This kind of reminded me of the guy in the seventies that had to convince the various govt agencies involved that he was not dead, once they were convinced somehow that he was.

Take the win of course but personally I would rail for a deep discount for all the GD anguish caused.

Posts: 7230 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:

This kind of reminded me of the guy in the seventies that had to convince the various govt agencies involved that he was not dead, once they were convinced somehow that he was.

One of Mrs. Flash's mental health clients got accidentally declared dead by one of Mrs. Flash's co-workers.

Took Mrs. Flash close to a year to resurrect her in the eyes of Social Security and Medicare.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
Well, I'll be damned. You described an almost US Government level of incompetence on HD's part. I am shocked that they finally got their shit together.

Ken Langone heard about the problem. Smile

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Sig2340 as a recently retired custom home builder I have been reading about your dilemma with interest.
A couple of points for those who may find themselves in a similar situation of needing new windows down the road:

1. NEVER USE HOME DEPOT OR LOWES UNLESS YOU ARE PREPARED TO HAVE THE SAME EXPERIENCE.
2. Buy a quality windows like Andersen or Marvin and go on their website to find local certified contractors. Order your windows through one of their distributors or retail lumber yards.
3. As Sig2340 did ALWAYS buy using your credit card so you can dispute the charges if things go sideways.
4. Be prepared for long lead times in getting whatever you need.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When seeking bids for granite countertops, I solicited bids from both. Upon questioning them about a so called “ bid deposit” they confessed it would be kept if they didn’t get the bid.

Glad I asked questions. I’m a retired purchasing director. I told that they were not only unethical but dishonest.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a neighbor order a wooden fence with installation through Lowes. As the contractor was working one day we had a little chat. He said he basically did this job for cost as it took twice as long to complete. The yard was solid rock and he needed to jack hammer to install majority of the posts.

He said the way it works is Lowes comes out to the job site and gives the customer a price. Lowes posts the job for multiple independent contractors to place bids and obviously accepts the lowest bid. These contractors have never seen the job site and rely on Lowes to provide details. He said he cant complain to Lowes about costs going over the bid as Lowes will simple no longer give him any work.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post