SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    IRS Letter
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

IRS Letter Login/Join 
Picture of rexles
posted
I got a wonderful 9 page letter from the IRS today claiming I owe back taxes and penalties for 13K for taxes I didn't pay in 2022 for 1099 income from Door Dash in the amount of 43.5K with my wifes SS number.
She nor I have ever worked for Dorr Dash and now it's up to me to prove to the dirt balls I never did it.
The burden of proof is evidently on me. This is going to be fun...
Oh and did I mention my 33 yr old daughter just died Monday after a 3+ yr battle with stage 4 triple negative breast cancer?
At least they gave to April 14th to respond

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rexles,

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1113 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to hear about your daughter.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9695 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
My condolences to your family in a painful time concerning the loss of your daughter.

Door dash should mail a copy of -1099 to the address of record for the person who worked as a driver.
In addition, I would believe that DD would also have payment information for direct deposit, or debit card number for "daily payout" to a debit card, or via records of payouts to PayFare or pre-paid debit cards.

Hopefully that can offer some help in getting information to your defense.

I hope for a quick and full resolution.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43903 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Could be an identity theft issue. Third party gives your wifes SS# to DD with or without the correct name and DD reports the payments made on the ID number to IRS. Money went elsewhere. 1099 winds up going to your account with IRS and they can't match it to income reported on the 1040 so they assume you have not reported income and send you a bill.

I'd start with DD on tracing the issue. Send a letter to IRS within their drop-dead date, use Certified return receipt mail. Letter just needs to say, not our income, never received, investigating with the payer and perhaps it's ID theft, "We'll get back to you when we know more". Should they later send nasty grams, collection notices, respond with copies of the previously sent correspondence. That don't work, file form 911 with the Taxpayer Advocates office and they will contact you to see how they can help.

Ultimately what needs to happen is DD issues a corrected 1099 to the right recipient of the cash or IRS has to believe your story and blow it off.

If you determine that it is an ID theft matter, there are forms to file with IRS. And, I would recommend you obtain "IPPIN'S" from the IRS for future tax filings. Go to IRS.GOV and search for it. With an IPPIN assigned by IRS annually, only you get that number by USPS and have to include it in your e-filed return. That way IRS knows it's you filing the return and not some third party with your ID numbers.

I am a CPA. Best advice I can give to my bud's on the SF late at night in the middle of March. Razz

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3763 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I’m so sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine they won’t pause any requirement to give you time to grieve.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5328 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Very sorry for your loss.

I think at least part of the blame can be laid at the feet of whoever gave the IRS bad data.

Hopefully you are able both to find the miscreant(s) responsible for that, and as well as get the IRS to correct their records.

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Not that I blame you, but:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/8191014801

My sincere regrets.. Changed

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1113 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I’m so sorry for the loss of your daughter…cancer sucks (to say the least) and takes so many of our loved ones away from us…you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers…you don’t need this bullshit from the IRS during this time in your family’s life Mad

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also consider paying an Enrolled Agent to answer any communications from the IRS on your behalf. They know the forms the IRS wants - and how they should be filled out - as well as the style and substance of letters that will exactly give the IRS what is necessary for that round of the fight.

As a starting point, check out your local H&R Block but there are, of course, other firms that have EAs that are just as competent. I use to work for H&R Block and answered my share of IRS letters that my clients received. Usually I was able to handle the case until it was resolved but, because I didn't certify as an Enrolled Agent, there were a few times that one of our EAs would have to finish because my permissions from the IRS only went so far.

If you do take advantage of this option try to find an EA that has been to tax court against the IRS and won. Not a necessary requirement, but a good one to have.

I'll answer as best I can any questions you may have that you post, but I have no problem if you want to e-mail me instead or as well.

Good luck!

Posts: 4983 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hire a local CPA. Owning a small business I have had issues in the past. I received a 1099 which stated I received ten grand from a company. The amount was about 100 dollars. My CPA corrected the problem. Ask Sailor who he would suggest. It is worth the money believe me.

Posts: 17243 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
Get this: I am still waiting for my 2022 federal refund. My congressman's office is also checking into it.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2841 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised that no one has pointed out this may all be a scam. Did you contact the IRS to verify this letter is even legit? Something doesn't smell right to me.

Posts: 33827 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I'm surprised that no one has pointed out this may all be a scam. Did you contact the IRS to verify this letter is even legit? Something doesn't smell right to me.

^^^ Good Point.

Posts: 22918 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Every time I receive a mailing from the IRS, I go into panic attacks and nearly vomit... and this is before even getting the envelope open! I know full-well that this criminal organization can fuck you over without hesitation and make life a living hell, and I don't trust them at all!

So sorry you are having to go through this, and especially sorry to hear about your daughter! I cannot even begin to understand what that must be like...

Posts: 4590 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scam possibly? That is why I would hire a CPA they have the experience. Of course you can go it alone. It is suprising how many people think they can hit a Major League fastball.

Posts: 17243 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
So very sorry to hear about your daughter.

Good luck with straightening out the tax issue.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not a scam Documents have my and my wifes SSN as well as the amount we received from SS. It is legit.

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rexles:
quote:

Not a scam Documents have my and my wifes SSN as well as the amount we received from SS. It is legit.

Don't waste your money on a CPA, what you need is a Tax Attorney. Because I expect that the only way you'll get any records from Door Dash will be with a subpoena. Without those records you will have no means at all to prove you and your wife are victim's of Identity Theft.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5652 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't waste your money on a CPA, what you need is a Tax Attorney. Because I expect that the only way you'll get any records from Door Dash will be with a subpoena

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Come on. Maybe Abbe Lowell is available. Start with a CPA. He will know the best course of action. I have consulted a tax attorney and they are beyond expensive.

No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
Hire an experienced professional. Someone who has worked this kind of problem numerous times before. CPA, atty?

You need to be timely, direct, specific, and forceful in your responses to the IRS. They don't care one whit about you, about what is fair, right, or honest.

Get everything in writing from them. We had an ongoing situation over about 3 years during which time twice they sent a demand letter and then on the phone said don't worry about it since you have an appeal going. At the end we lost even though we clearly fit the rules, but we appealed the penalty for late payment. That, too, was clearly within their rules becase we never had any previous issue with them. They denied our petition on the grounds we had failed twice before to pay from the demand letters!

Posts: 9459 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post