SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    People Who Abandon Pets Are Scum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

People Who Abandon Pets Are Scum Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
A house just down the street from us was recently sold. The sellers abandoned two house cats. One of them has not been seen recently, it might not have survived.

My wife has been leaving food and water every day for the one that is still hanging around.

I'm not crazy about cats -- they're OK, but they're not dogs. Even so, I would encourage my wife to adopt this cat, except we have a cat, given to us by Paragon. Our cat is territorial and would not tolerate another.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cuomo left his dog behind.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Is there a local rescue organization you can take the cat to?

Posts: 9035 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is there a local rescue organization you can take the cat to?
I'll have to look into that. The cat is hesitant to let people approach, probably for good reason.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
People Who Abandon Pets Are Scum

Our three dogs and three of our four cats were abandoned.

Charlie, doggie #1, was abandoned by people who moved out of an apartment somewhere in Houston.
Molly, doggie #2, was dumped on Highway 249 in Tomball TX.
Katie, doggie #3, was dumped in our neighborhood and was found cowering behind someone's garbage can.

Two of the kitties were found in a box by our vet's office.
We were only going to foster them, but failed at that.

Jack the cat was found wandering in our neighborhood.
He walked in our front door and made himself at home.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
They sure are, V-Tail

Good luck finding a home or rescue for the cat. These are hard times. I know our favorite cat rescue is at or over capacity. We're now sending them an automatic monthly donation to try to help offset their mounting costs.

We've actually even considered fostering, but, with three cats of our own (all rescues)...

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I can think of a few stronger labels than "scum".

When we were stationed in Japan, a family that was leaving gave us a Sheltie as they couldn't take it to their next duty station.

When we left two+ years later, we passed her on to another family. That dog was well loved and cared for by at least 3 different families and never left the base.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I couldn't agree more.

Our two cats are rescues and they are great! The boy, Leo, is my constant buddy and my son's.

Yesterday, I was moving my squad car and small kitten ran off across the street towards the new house being built. Me, my wife and son all took off to find it with no luck. My wife has put out food and I found paw prints on my sons basketball goal base. The food was gone this morning.

I'm no fortune teller but I'm pretty certain if we find this little fella, we will have three cats....

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never been able to understand why someone would declaw a female cat, then later abandon it to survive in the wilds.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Cuomo left his dog behind.
Politics in an apolitical thread. Don't do this, please. Not every thread has to have politics in it.

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
This is why adopting rescue animals is so important. It helps offset the evilness of abandoning a pet.

It’s also why the beagle rescue work that my family does is so important to me.

Posts: 3675 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
My current dog, Bandit is a rescue. Originally surrendered at Animal Control. Taken in by a rescue organization; adopted out and then returned. I'm the second adopter for him from rescue.

He's one of the best dogs I've ever had. Part of me doesn't understand how someone could just return him. Then I remember; he's big, smart, stubborn and needs owner who knows how to be the bigger dog in the pack. He's definitely not a dog for someone just looking for an animated stuffed animal to cuddle with.

But still I think, some people are just assholes.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
The first time I lived in Houston, 2 doors down was a rental property and the dickheads partied at least 5 nights a week. It wasn't college kids either, it was a husband and wife with children and a dog. Pretty common to see kids outdoors at midnight on a school night while Mom & Dad were drinking, playing music, bonfire (who their right mind makes a bonfire in the summer when it's 100% humidity?), etc.

During Hurricane Ike, they graduated from dickheads to rectal warts. MF'ers evacuated (we weren't in an evacuation zone) prior to the hurricane and left their dog chained to a tree with zero shelter. My neighbor saw it before the hurricane hit and brought the dog into his home. It's also when he noticed how malnourished the dog was. After the hurricane, he linked the dog up with a rescue organization. The rectal warts never rang any doorbells or put up any flyers looking for their missing dog.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post