SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    !!! I'M SICK OF IT !!!! Warning *language*
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

!!! I'M SICK OF IT !!!! Warning *language* Login/Join 
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Vastly different experience in Vero Beach. Roof and siding done. Asked roofer if he knew a deck guy- he said he could do the deck. Asked roofer if he knew a painter- top notch painter. Irrigation issue- quick response, repaired.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I've rehung 3 of my basement doors over the part 2 years as the original subcontractor botched it completely. It's hard to find anyone nowm

Posts: 12468 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I just want a fellow from church to replace the deck surface boards and railing. I've counted the boards, and how many are 8' or less. I've sent him the picture of the rotted boards I stepped through. Still won't stop by, to set up the replacement. Maybe people should just say "I have too much work to even consider your opportunity?"

In the meantime, I have purchased a USA-made B&D 10 inch circular miter saw for $65 at the thrift store, and I'll see if I can find a good portable bench on which to mount it. A friend is loaning me the destruction tools to take off the old deck boards. I think I can figure this construction out, somehow.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
This is one of the many reason I do ALL of my own work. The biggest problem is it takes me FOREVER to complete the projects. BUT, they eventually do get done and are completed to my satisfaction.

THIS...I refuse to pay ANYONE to do ANYTHING if I can do a better job myself! I'm not fast, but I do excellent work! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8909 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Likely a ripple effect of the increasing dearth of tradesmen.

Used to be, the worthless contractors got pushed out by the good ones, or else were forced to either shape up or starve.

Nowadays, there are so few of them out there and such high demand that even the crappy ones can find enough work to pay the bills, despite their shitty work practices. So guys like these can afford to ghost clients and still have a full schedule.

Once you find some good ones, hold onto them for dear life. I'm trying to rebuild my rolodex of skilled tradesmen in my new town, and I've experienced similar difficulty in weeding out the no-calls, no-shows, no-availability, no-effort, etc.

(If I had a do-over in life, I'd go to trade school to be something like a plumber or electrician, and laugh all the way to the bank. Big Grin)

truth here,

a Neighbor, may he RIP, wanted some drywal done in his garage,

simple job,

insulate (he did that) and needed someone to hang sheetrock and tape it, in a typical 2 car garage

he told me he made a dozen calls, had maybe 4 show up, and none would commit or come back,

so he drove down to the local Home Deppt one morning, asked the first guy he saw buying sheet rock ,

dude was Mexican, barely spoke English, and showed up the next day, looked at what he wanted done, and did the job in a couple days,

paid in cash, and the neighbor was tickled with the work,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
I just want a fellow from church to replace the deck surface boards and railing. I've counted the boards, and how many are 8' or less. I've sent him the picture of the rotted boards I stepped through. Still won't stop by, to set up the replacement. Maybe people should just say "I have too much work to even consider your opportunity?"

In the meantime, I have purchased a USA-made B&D 10 inch circular miter saw for $65 at the thrift store, and I'll see if I can find a good portable bench on which to mount it. A friend is loaning me the destruction tools to take off the old deck boards. I think I can figure this construction out, somehow.

Get a set of saw horses that have the 2x4 slots on the edge, screw a piece of 3/4” plywood down to the 2x4s, bolt the saw down on that.

Posts: 13744 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve known many guys who hated having to work overtime because it cut into their more profitable cash side work. I still know a couple who are willing try most any small project if the customer seems sane. I too am in the camp of just doing most things myself. Sometimes it takes too long and I’m rarely totally satisfied with the work because I know every little misstep along the way.

“That’s what.” - She

Posts: 333 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: June 06, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
and I'll see if I can find a good portable bench on which to mount it.

Do you have a truck? I've built entire buildings out of the back of my pickup, using the bed/tailgate as a workbench. Currently doing a bunch of flooring and framing at my in-laws' house, which is right down the road. I throw the tools in the back of the truck, drive down the street, back up to the door, and go to work. Very convenient.

Just got done re-framing and sheeting a floor. I was standing in the crawl-space up to my waist, taking measurements. I'd relay them to my kids, who would go tell my wife who was running the chop saw out at the truck. She'd make the cuts and they'd bring the boards back to me to screw them in place. Kinda manpower intensive, but child labor is free Big Grin and it saved me crawling in and out of the floor every 2 minutes.

Posts: 8578 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
My wife and I have just decided that we have to do our own work or it’s not getting done.

Posts: 45377 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I've been working for the same family contracting business for 4 decades now, and I have a couple of observations. About 15 years ago the owner changed his business model. Used to be keep prices low and get as many jobs as possible. Now he raised his prices and now we do less jobs, but we make money on what we do now. His kids have taken on a larger role in the last 8 years. Covid hit. Supply chain issues, especially anything having to do with aluminum, our job durations went from 2 to 8 weeks went to 14 to 24 weeks.

Now that covid is over, and supply chain issues are better we are still running at 14 to 24 weeks. Covid taught them that they didn't have to hustle anymore. Plus, we can't find labor.

Posts: 7529 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post