SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    What's up with Sig Talk?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's up with Sig Talk? Login/Join 
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
well there you have it... never offend an advertiser.. because they are the ones that really count....

I've been slapped more than once here and of course took offense by it...but got over it. I tend to like to stir the pot and sometimes I stir a little too much... the bottom line is even though I might not agree with Para on some things... this is a damn fine forum that has helped me so much with information on Sig pistols I will never be able to repay it. I try to pay some of that back with what I keep discovering in regard to Sigs....

Part of me is temped to go over to Sigtalk and see what this is about... but you know what... I got better things to do with my time....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I just checked, I still have a membership on there.
Been years since I looked in. Love the format / layout of the SigForum so much that navigating other forums often irritate me so much I visit less & less frequently.

I remember when they started up, it was a number of folks who complained about the SigForum.
That drove me away.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
“SigTalk.com is owned and operated by Second Media Corp., an Ontario corporation.”

I just checked another forum, completely different (not firearms) and the software looks 100% the same. I click in the exact same area and get this:

“ is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc., an Ontario corporation.”

The forums like identical even though the subject matter is very different.

So both corp and inc are likely the same. And what I’ve seen on that other forum is cancel culture. If someone posts something they don’t agree with they whine to a moderator and they get the other person banned. Not a personal attack by any means. I mean someone posts something, someone else doesn’t agree, and whines, bam, cancel culture.

IMO, it’s the younger, newbie demographic driving the culture, and that’s easily discernible. This demographic doesn’t like X, they whine until it’s canceled. They want an echo chamber, and a “safe space” where dissenting opinions they don’t have to read. I guess they forget that most forum software allows you to create an ignore list. Instead of just using that to spare their frail sensibilities they push to have the opinion they don’t like completely removed.

The Canadians taking over forums, is exactly what Tirod referred to on page 1. This is a new day for bbs/forums. This Canadian group is buying up every forum they possibly can and their corporate mantra is akin to Hollywood and the hypocrisy they represent. Make a small box, and anything outside of that small box, you’re history. Everything is catered to the newb now, and that younger generation that is abundantly soft. You’re hard, ironed, tough? Look elsewhere. These people are not. Everything there is should be catered around them with pillows. The major issue is comments are opinions. Who is to say x or y comment is offensive? Moderators. If you get some in place that are draconian, well best of luck.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
The Canadians taking over forums, is exactly what Tirod referred to on page 1. This is a new day for bbs/forums. This Canadian group is buying up every forum they possibly can and their corporate mantra is akin to Hollywood and the hypocrisy they represent. Make a small box, and anything outside of that small box, you’re history. Everything is catered to the newb now, and that younger generation that is abundantly soft.
Yeah? Well, they're not getting this one. I'd turn this place into a smoking hole in the ground rather than let people like that get their hands on it.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
Oh and the Glock hate is very high over there with many useless and childish threads about Glocks and how inferior they are. Someone actually posted this with thread title "Another Glock failure" - "The gunman in Brooklyn today chose the wrong pistol - a glock (it jammed). Glad he did instead of taking a Sig."

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Yes, coming into focus.

Glocks are at least as functionally reliable as SIGs, and probably even more so, and in terms of durability, just about any Glock will take far higher round counts than the aluminum frame SIGs. Typically, the first part to fail in high round count Glocks is the trigger spring, which gives up the ghost at somewhere north of 30,000 rounds. That for gen 1 through 4. The gen 5s, well, who knows when that part breaks, but it's going to be at a higher number of rounds. The polymer SIGs, I couldn't tell you, but something tells me that these will still not beat Glock durability.

Fanboi nonsense is not tolerated in SIGforum. We seek the truth. I own plenty of SIGs and some of them are priceless to me, but let's get real.

Thanks for running a tight ship Para. I know it is not easy and takes a tremendous amount of your time. Also for being independant of influences from advertisers.

I usually post my thoughts in the silly Glock bashing threads. Mostly I point out that the Glock 19 is still the gold standard for a 15 round capacity compact polymer striker fired pistol and Glock is a premium brand evidenced by the FBI testing and adopting where they stated that the Glock they tested was the most reliable pistol they has ever tested and Glock being the choice of elite agencies such as FBI, Secret Service, Border Patrol, Special Forces, and Air Marshall that are not constrained financially with their choice like the local PD.

Once in a while someone will reply with a You Tube video by some influencer saying he thinks that a particular brand is better than Glock but whatever.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
Also for being independent of influences from advertisers.
Yeah, what if you have an advertiser like the pussy-whipped owner of Yeti, who let his wife cost him more than a few customers? Or Black Rifle Coffee Company, who fails to support gun ownership by Americans while simultaneously proclaiming that no one who who did not serve in the military has opinions worthy of being heard? Or Giessele/ALG, who chose their precious government contracts over supporting the people who work for them- the people who actually make their company function at all?

So, having advertisers means you might have some members who don't like them for whatever reasons and then decide to withdraw their support from your forum; advertisers who don't like some thing or other being said by members and then decide to withdraw their support from your forum; advertisers who put you in a bind because of their stance on some issue or other, causing you to remove them from your forum.

Well, look around this place. No ads, therefore, no entanglements. Members can voice their opinions, and so can forum ownership.
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:

What did I get banned for?

I mentioned that members of the AzCDL ( a PAC) that I'm a Life Member of have an open carry luncheon every year and we also have an open carry assembly outside the State Capital once a year. One of the admins decided that this amounted to me trying to incite the violent overthrow of the United States.
"trying to incite the violent overthrow of the United States" with a luncheon? Big Grin
quote:
I've seen people get banned for jokes that were in good taste and for not liking what's being done by the admin there.

Go at your own risk.
Neither of those things will get you banned here. If you come in here and criticize how the board is run, you'll hear from me and it won't be pleasant, but unless you beat the drum incessantly, you'll retain your posting rights. If you bitch about the behavior of the membership in general, I'll be on you in a New York minute and you will be told in no uncertain terms that I will not tolerate such things, but, again, unless you come back to it again after being told, all you'll have to do is fish my shoe out of your ass.

Sounds like they have too many people trying to be in charge. Here's something I know: rookie moderators are eager to find something to moderate. They don't realize that if they just lay back and watch, genuine problems will arise, and then they'll have something to moderate.

Just how many admins do they have over there? Shared command can be a disaster.

And, this stuff about suspending members for "bullying" as a member of this forum told me via email? Really? "Bullying"? That's the victim language of the left and of grade school children. Since when do adults get "bullied"?

A human presence must moderate forums such as these, otherwise, it's like being policed by a machine, but the message must be consistent. When you have a bunch of staffers who are imposing their own opinions on things, the result can be a frustrating, confusing experience for forum members.

"You are the bouncers. I am the cooler."

Maybe they should consider such an approach. Maybe they should consider treating their members like what they are supposed to be- adults.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by paularmola:
I've noticed that recently had been banning longstanding members for subjective reasons and even deleting threads by members without explanation. Even emails asking for information about those occurrences have gone unanswered. Has the culture on SigTalk changed or is being changed? Is it no longer member driven, and more ego driven? Or has it made it to the commercialization phase where any dissent is not tolerated due to its impact on the bottom line?

Good morning,
I must agree with BigHeart Paul (the nickname I gave him at SigTalk). Over the last few months, ST turned into a whining, bragging and "mom he hit me" site for those I delineated as 50 year-old kids. Strangely and suddenly, the core knowledgeable, friendly, helpful and most importantly mature crowd/group started getting subjectively banned. I did enquire with the moderators about those banned members I had been fond of, based on my analysis of their writings indicating that they were genuine adults with compelling life experiences, and received the template response that such enquiries were confidential and would not be shared. Following that response I humorously started a thread that called for the creation of a sub-forum for "those who can take a joke and the kitchen heat" and within two days the thread got deleted yet no explanation was offered. I actually had an inkling or a wild guess as to which threads got two good people banned, one permanently. In both of those instances I surmised that the banned members had been responding to an instigating weak soul's sensitive ego or in other words those who could not handle the truth. So yes, the ST moderators' decision were based on impact on dollars and cents. What I am not confident they realize is that, other than the members who cannot type "Youtube" into a browser, none would need a forum to gather the information they are digging for. Having said that, ST administrators and moderators "took the fun out" of the site and that, as far as I am concerned, was the virtual camaraderie. A couple of quick admissions before I conclude. I purposely registered under the same username on SF also in order to give those dual-members the chance to either refute or confirm my above statements and to adhere to Parabellum's practice of openness and "all cards on the table". I will not comment further on this thread as my sole intention was to state the facts and express an opinion and not to demean another forum. Cheers lasses and lads.

Posts: 5 | Registered: April 16, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I was unaware of SIG Talk. If you look at my posting history, you will see that almost all my posts are not firearm related. I am here for the community and the people I have become to consider friends over the years. When I first bought a SIG, I had lots of firearm questions. Those have long since been auto-pruned I would assume.

Yes, I have run the wrong side of Para. The most memorable to me was when I had a few drinks, and my lack of knowledge of the English language was made quite apparent. I said “your hypocrisy knows no bounds”. My dumbass said it as a compliment, (quoting Val Kilmer from Tombstone) not realizing I had just deeply insulted Para. When confronted, and I looked up what I had posted, my heart sank. I still am a member. I left that thread with my tail between my legs, mostly from embarrassment, and feeling like shit for insulting someone who I respect quite a lot. But I still retained posting rights.

quote:

The truth of the matter is that you have to try quite hard to get banned from this forum.

A human presence must moderate forums such as these, otherwise, it's like being policed by a machine, but the message must be consistent.

To that matter, I will point out two examples, from the same thread. Fender Bender. That stinking scumbag still retains posting rights. (And to my surprise, has posted a few times recently.) I don’t think notifications work so well, as I had elected to be notified of new posts by that bag of hot garbage.

And on that same note, the human presence that moderates this forum can also be the members. Look at the “lol Thread”. Longbow starts getting stupid at the very beginning. It’s on Page 5 where the shit really hits the fan, and the members here decide to voice their opinion in unison against the two who had lost their minds.

That’s the thing that makes SIGForum so great. We are adults and are treated as such. There are consequences when you act like an ass, or say things like “Yes” when asked if you believe it’s okay to murder law enforcement.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:

It would do my heart well to watch this go down.

I don't know. We might not want certain of their members migrating here.

I've seen two of the forums I also frequent change forum software in the last year or so to that used by the Canadians. Really sad since they each had their own unique personality before - now just cookie cutter.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
quote:
It wouldn't matter, because the type being referred to (the easily-offended, cancel culture children) can be identifed quickly and dealt with on the spot.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NewbyK:
quote:
Originally posted by paularmola:
I've noticed that recently had been banning longstanding members for subjective reasons and even deleting threads by members without explanation. Even emails asking for information about those occurrences have gone unanswered. Has the culture on SigTalk changed or is being changed? Is it no longer member driven, and more ego driven? Or has it made it to the commercialization phase where any dissent is not tolerated due to its impact on the bottom line?

Good morning,
I must agree with BigHeart Paul (the nickname I gave him at SigTalk). Over the last few months, ST turned into a whining, bragging and "mom he hit me" site for those I delineated as 50 year-old kids. Strangely and suddenly, the core knowledgeable, friendly, helpful and most importantly mature crowd/group started getting subjectively banned. I did enquire with the moderators about those banned members I had been fond of, based on my analysis of their writings indicating that they were genuine adults with compelling life experiences, and received the template response that such enquiries were confidential and would not be shared. Following that response I humorously started a thread that called for the creation of a sub-forum for "those who can take a joke and the kitchen heat" and within two days the thread got deleted yet no explanation was offered. I actually had an inkling or a wild guess as to which threads got two good people banned, one permanently. In both of those instances I surmised that the banned members had been responding to an instigating weak soul's sensitive ego or in other words those who could not handle the truth. So yes, the ST moderators' decision were based on impact on dollars and cents. What I am not confident they realize is that, other than the members who cannot type "Youtube" into a browser, none would need a forum to gather the information they are digging for. Having said that, ST administrators and moderators "took the fun out" of the site and that, as far as I am concerned, was the virtual camaraderie. A couple of quick admissions before I conclude. I purposely registered under the same username on SF also in order to give those dual-members the chance to either refute or confirm my above statements and to adhere to Parabellum's practice of openness and "all cards on the table". I will not comment further on this thread as my sole intention was to state the facts and express an opinion and not to demean another forum. Cheers lasses and lads.

Truth is a thing. Thanks NewbyK

Posts: 50 | Location: Bluffton, SC | Registered: March 29, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
quote:

Canada has fallen. Censorship is the norm there now.

I've seen two of the forums I also frequent change forum software in the last year or so to that used by the Canadians. Really sad since they each had their own unique personality before - now just cookie cutter.

Posts: 50 | Location: Bluffton, SC | Registered: March 29, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup have to admit I don't know these guys...

I use colt forum, Smith&Wesson forum and this one.

Oh at the one for K31 swiss rifles

That's about it

Thanks for Sig Forum !

Posts: 342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: September 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's been a while since I checked in at Sigtalk (never been a member). One thing that I'd been directed to a long time back was the "Good deals" forum or sub or whatever it's called. I decided I'll pass on linking it, but you can find it easily.

If a member sees a deal, they share it along with a link. It's been a while since I checked in but there's an enticing 20% off a Bruce Grey P226 Armorors video. It's an easy in and out check after reading a few headlines.

That would be a good section for Para to add, but it's a reminder, again, to thank Para for this board. The depth of knowledge about sigs here (and a whole bunch of other things as well) is fantastic.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
while I have perused that forum, I never joined.

This forum was the first one I ever joined, back when I could afford internet in 2003.

Oh I have joined a few others but this is the core forum I participate in.

Best forum on the internet.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Same here and I’m still loving me some glorious Spam Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin rock on my brother!

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Its extremely rare to discuss other forums- most won't offer the opportunity.

SIG Talk hasn't been the worst over many of the issues mentioned. It has gained a lot of new members, and it's still getting intros on a daily basis. Lots of new to guns owners, and it shows in the questions. Some of us are trying to answer them.

I don't lose any sleep over it. The issues presented are not Brand oriented, but social media based, and most signing on these days were not raised in a atmosphere of mutual free speech the way forums were originated. Nope, the 288 character slap down is their idea of social comment.

Looking at the sale of Twitter its come up thru various analysis and reports that as many as 50% of the accounts are not actual live human being. I've mentioned it before - forums get paid posters, and in the simpler format of a short post, AI is doing that job, too. While some forums attempt to limit it, others base advertising on member numbers and if it's inflated, then revenues go up. Ahhh, Canada.

It's of some concern if those posts constantly beat the drum on customizing firearms, ie shilling for the advertisers. And when politics get involved, it's a known fact there are companies who solicit contracts to help form opinions that are positive to the check writers. It's also a known fact that foreign countries pay our news media to do exactly that.

If you read an opinion on line expressing an intent that would lead to a negative opinion of those countries then expect associated posters to jump in, too, defending them and excoriating the poster. It is a deliberate and concerted effort to silence us. The major problem isn't them doing it so much as other members thinking it isn't happening.

Forums are now just one small subset of social media in general and are not free of paid influencers pushing agendas. Ask yourself, how will Homeland handle those nuances with their new director of Misinformation? Considering she was an election influencer in Ukraine, it's just another indicator of where things are going.

We have much bigger issues that one forum or another not being sympatico with our mindset. Our country has priority.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Tirod, you're a politician at heart, and this is not a compliment. Consistently, I see you answering the question you wish would have been asked, rather than the question which was asked.
quote:
Forums are now just one small subset of social media in general and are not free of paid influencers pushing agendas. Ask yourself, how will Homeland handle those nuances with their new director of Misinformation? Considering she was an election influencer in Ukraine, it's just another indicator of where things are going.

We have much bigger issues that one forum or another not being sympatico with our mindset. Our country has priority.
In addition to talking about stuff that has nothing to do with the question asked by the OP, you have introduced politics into an apolitical thread, and let me make the distinction clearly: Politics (along with religion) has been mentioned in this thread, but only in general terms of what may or may not be allowed in that forum or this one, whereas you have taken a thread intended to address the screwed-up moderation practices of a faceless foreign company now operating what was once a privately-owned American gun forum, and introduced political discussion of a specific nature.

Please take the time to read what I've posted here. My remarks in that post, regarding the complete separation of political and apolitical discussion in this forum is something I have stated so many times, they might as well carve a succinct form of it on my gravestone.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Oh, BTW, let me address this as well:
quote:
Originally posted by Tirod:
Its extremely rare to discuss other forums- most won't offer the opportunity.
You think so? Sigtalk has allowed this forum and more specifically its administrator to be openly criticized and ridiculed and I have heard of no efforts on the part of that forum's administration to discourage or filter such comments. In the years of this happening so freely over there, SIGforum has maintained a policy of refraining from bashing other boards, being critical of the administration of other forums, or becoming embroiled in disputes which have originated in other forums.

This has not been reciprocal, I'm sorry to say, and there exists to this day, old criticisms of this forum and of me, on Sigtalk and on other boards, and I find it to be low and unprofessional. Allowing to remain visible these vestiges of grievances which are a decade or more old, is petty and childish. All of the efforts of the original owners of Sigtalk to promote their forum on the pages of this forum are long gone.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Tirod, you're a politician at heart, and this is not a compliment. Consistently, I see you answering the question you wish would have been asked, rather than the question which was asked.
quote:

In addition to talking about stuff that has nothing to do with the question asked by the OP, you have introduced politics into an apolitical thread, and let me make the distinction clearly: Politics (along with religion) has been mentioned in this thread, but only in general terms of what may or may not be allowed in that forum or this one, whereas you have taken a thread intended to address the screwed-up moderation practices of a faceless foreign company now operating what was once a privately-owned American gun forum, and introduced political discussion of a specific nature.

Please take the time to read what I've posted here. My remarks in that post, regarding the complete separation of political and apolitical discussion in this forum is something I have stated so many times, they might as well carve a succinct form of it on my gravestone.

Exactly, and very well stated Para