SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    This business of "speaking to" things
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This business of "speaking to" things Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
Good grief, man, this must be another one of the corporate buzz phrases run amok.

Example: "James, can you speak to the diversified losses in the golf sector?"

Another example: "I'm sorry, Susan, perhaps Sally can speak to the issue."

Our current Presidential press secretary uses the phrase a lot, too. I won't try to imitate her here.

In short: "NO!" We don't speak to issues or events or circumstances. We speak to one another. We speak to our pets. Some of us speak to our houseplants. But we talk about issues or we address issues, but we surely don't speak to them. That's just stupid.

Where in the world did this goofiness come from? Roll Eyes

God bless America.

Posts: 13824 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
"Hello pants. Hello lamp..."

Posts: 7481 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
"Hi Ren..."

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44405 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
"Good night moon"

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 2058 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
Whether you are speaking to it or not, your phone is listening.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2075 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Hey, Siri… How did the Padres do today?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9410 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another one of the many things in life that I ignore . As long as I understand what somebody is talking about , I'm not going to give it another thought .

Posts: 4234 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still speak to myself, but he's mean to me.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speaking to things? Well I've been known to swear at a variety of things, like my car when its A/C cuts out or my wireless computer mouse when it freezes mid-move. Do those count?

-MG

Posts: 2188 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello walls...

Posts: 536 | Location: Ocala, FL | Registered: October 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKfayfaqskM

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31341 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Good one, Mr. V-Tail!

I remember an episode of Gilligan's Island in which Mrs Howell did the same thing. Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13824 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

"Speak into the mike, bitch"

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10870 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post