SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Shoulder injury redux
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shoulder injury redux Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Any reputable practitioner will welcome you to get a second opinion.

Regarding losing weight exercise helps but is VERY small potatoes compared to changing diet - I have struggled with my weight many years and bottom line I tell my patients weight loss happens in the kitchen NOT the gym!

Reverse total shoulder is getting very common and while it will definitely help with pain, motion and strength will be limited

Regarding heavy caliber rifles god gave you another shoulder arm and eye use it

Posts: 3292 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:

Regarding losing weight exercise helps but is VERY small potatoes compared to changing diet - I have struggled with my weight many years and bottom line I tell my patients weight loss happens in the kitchen NOT the gym!

Double plus thumbs up on that.

If you read my weight loss thread in the Lounge, I changed what I ate, when I ate, and why I ate. And lost 70 pounds in 10 months.

Since starting to workout last November I’ve gone from Jello to Play-do, but I’ve lost 42 more pounds, while adding a bit more protein to my diet.

So change the diet first, have success over many months, then exercise gradually.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31443 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Just to complain...

I have lost a shit ton of weight and am in the best physical condition in a very long time.

I am scheduled to go on a much needed vacation starting Friday. I planned (note tense) to go out to Wyoming, where I am from.

Thursday, I managed to completely wreck my right knee. Constant pain like a bad meniscus tear, which I've had before on this knee, twice.

FUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

That is all.

Nice is overrated

Posts: 31443 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Good news! It’s not a torn meniscus.

How do I know? The orthopedic surgeon informed me it’s because there is no meniscus left to tear.

The bad news?

The FDA is not going to approve the artificial meniscus used in Europe and the Mideast since 2008. So my choice, here in the US, is a total knee replacement.

-----------------------

ETA: Now I am pitching a bitch.

In 2018, when I destroyed my left rotator cuff, the surgery kept me from seeing my favorite band, The Glitch Mob, at Red Rocks, outside of Denver. I was headed out there eight days after surgery until the surgeon nixed it due to the potential for the infiltrated air in my shoulder to expand at the higher elevations. He said "That would be extremely painful." I was then going up to Wyoming for two weeks.

Last year, when I learned I need a left shoulder replacement, I was going to see the Mob that coming weekend (I did, good show).

Now, this Saturday I was headed to see.. yes The Glitch Mob this time in Tennessee. Not sure I can manage it with my leg hurting like Hell.
I know I am not going to Wyoming afterward. That would be a wasted trip, since I can't walk or ride a bike, horse, or motorcycle.

What is it with my desire to see The Glitch Mob raining this shitty karma on me?

This was a bit tongue in cheek, but the truth is, this news took the fucking wind from my sails.

I do not want a knee replacement any more than a shoulder replacement.

Fuck my life.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sig2340,

Nice is overrated

posted Hide Post
Getting old and having things wear out or break badly is part of life. We are humans and have a lifetime expectancy. I agree with most here and get a second opinion for this possible major surgery.

I have had a "bad shoulder" for several decades and three total surgeries. First one was tendon issues and the acromium bone. They shaved off a few millimeters of bone and clipped a few loose ends of tendon rips. Recover was easy and went well. Second issue was a bit worse. Multiple small rotator tears and bone spur on the ball. Sought out a top notched guy who works on top level college football players and a few NFL guys too. His walls are full of "thank you" pictures. That was a several week recovery from the multiple little things that needed cleaning up. He informed me though he did what he could with what I gave him that I was likely looking forward to shoulder replacement down the road. He was right, slowly but surely the bone spurs grew back along with almost total loss of cartilage. At age 59 i had a total reverse shoulder replacement. Recovery took a long time but was normal. I now have no pain but I do have lack of motion from when I was born along with a lifting restricton for life of 50 lbs. I am right handed and this all took place on my left shoulder. No heavy repetitive work done ever. Mom just told me I would go blind....not this. Do your research on finding a good surgeon, do all the PT that they expect and you will have a almost like new joint. Good luck.

Time takes time.

Posts: 84 | Registered: August 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post