SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Just got 164.5 gallons of heating oil delivered.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just got 164.5 gallons of heating oil delivered. Login/Join 
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Right now there’s nothing meaningful to change the upward trajectory. I googled up heating bills in Germany a week ago, average was up about 3Xs from a year or so ago. They are now up even more I’d think.

Regarding the ‘puffy door’(smoke) with the woodstove, it can be a clue the draw is weak. Besides a clean chimney, there can be channels & baffles inside the stove that need to be clear.

I can usually make it to late January before I need a Winter ‘combat cleaning’. That’s the top 8’of my chimney, then inside the stove. I’m back to a great draw, thorough cleaning in the Spring.

As posted, some work on or with the door may be an option.

Posts: 6128 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Who do you use down your way?

I use a local independent... I wouldn't touch DR unless I had to, and only then until I could switch fuel types.
Dead River screwed people down here a few years back with their "contract locks"... they got bit when prices jumped, then tried to add a "recovery charge" the next year and tried to extend the contracts, but a lot of people threatened to sue and they were let out of the extensions (as they were done illegally).

I just looked at the DownEast region on Maine Oil, yeah, you guys are severely limited. I wonder if any Bangor Companies are reaching out there?

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:

I just looked at the DownEast region on Maine Oil, yeah, you guys are severely limited. I wonder if any Bangor Companies are reaching out there?

I checked that site and I'm already using Hometown for my shop, I may just have them take over the house as well. Their price is $3.749 but that's a little over a week old so it's no doubt up from there.

I've fired DR twice and both times they eventually bought out the company I went with and I was right back in the same swamp.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15175 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
I work with heating oil companies all over the country. The prices dealers pay from their dealers are up almost $1/gal in the past week. These prices are not the fault of your local dealer. They are likely making less now than they were earlier this winter or even last year. The high prices put a strain on the companies and the consumers.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I checked the heating oil price from the company I had used until converting to gas…$4.55 a gallon now Eek

I think I paid $2.18 last time I used them in 2017

Posts: 33572 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Green Highlander:
I work with heating oil companies all over the country. The prices dealers pay from their dealers are up almost $1/gal in the past week. These prices are not the fault of your local dealer. They are likely making less now than they were earlier this winter or even last year. The high prices put a strain on the companies and the consumers.

While I understand that across the industry, when you have a company that regularly charges 50 cents more per gallon due to their contract structures, that company can go to hell.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I just had insulation blown into the attic of one of my rentals. It has made a huge difference, and that was just going up to R39. In our area, the gas company will do the insulation for free, or very close to it. Even if I had to do it myself, it isn’t overly expensive or difficult for the payback it provides.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8193 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Heating oil is now $5 a gallon around here

I’m sure a lot of people are glad it’s coming at the end of the heating season and not the beginning! Eek

Posts: 33572 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
And AOC’s response is the Government needs to subsidize more windmills.

We have imbeciles in Wash D.C..

Posts: 6128 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Just saw a local place’s heating oil price per gallon:

$7.00 a gallon Eek

This is typically the start of the season when people get their oil for next year isn’t it? I suspect a lot of people are saying screw that this year.

Oh…and FUCK JOE BIDEN

posted Hide Post
A friend's boat has a 200 gallon tank. Do the math. Thanks, Brandon, for this "incredible transition".

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tenmm
posted Hide Post
Just ordered fuel, its $4.95 a gallon here.

Posts: 759 | Location: Alaska | Registered: December 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
that's fairly typical monthly usage.

You're saying it costs you over $600 per month now to heat your home? I know it's ME but that is nuts! What was heating oil price last year, a third of that or more?

That's freaking bananas!!!

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8835 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post