SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Atlanta Traffic...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Atlanta Traffic... Login/Join 
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by detroit192:
<<snip>>
Current job is HQed in Madison, AL. You are pretty much stuck with a crap drive Wednesday.
<<snip>>

Thanks for the encouragement! LOL...

I actually live just west of downtown Madison. What company do you work for? (If you don't mind my asking...)

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4551 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
quote:
<<snip>>
Current job is HQed in Madison, AL. You are pretty much stuck with a crap drive Wednesday.
<<snip>>

Thanks for the encouragement! LOL...

I actually live just west of downtown Madison. What company do you work for? (If you don't mind my asking...)

STS Group, so on your side I think. Office is one exit west of the airport.
As for traffic I have regretted going through Chattanooga lately and just take 72 out to Scottsboro, over the mountains through Summerville, GA and pick up I75 in Adairsville. Not recommending it if you have not driven it before but I might (because I have driven the back roads in North Georgia for years) take GA 53 over to Gainesville and take US 129 straight into Athens. But it will probably take longer and/or use more gas. I am the sort who has driven 30 minutes around a 20 minute delay to avoid being stopped so keep that in mind before taking my detour.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Heading north through downtown Atlanta, you have shift from the left lanes to the right lanes to stay on I75 which winds up go to the left. While you are doing that, the people that want to stay on I85 have to shift from the right lanes to the left and they wind up going to the right. That always seems like an odd way to it when I go through.

This is accurate, i'll add a few choice details based on my travels through Atlanta 2-3 times a year for the past 10 years or so...

In addition to what trapper said, it's 50 FUCKING Lanes, ALWAYS assholes and elbows, there are seemingly exits every 25 feet, and everyone drives like shit.

I think I covered most of it.

I was there a few weeks ago and it was the Friday night where the Braves were hosting the World Series. I finished work and wanted to get on the road back to Orlando but when I looked at the traffic I decided it would be better for my health to stay another night so I had an early dinner and got on the road before first light.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
You guys complain about traffic.
When I came here in 62 there was no damn I-75 and no damn I- 85 us 41 stopped at the capitol .
You think it is rough now,you know nothing!
Its a real joy to go to Canton from Jonesboro at 85 mph at my age! my door get blown of at that speed in the right slo lane,white knuckle all the way.285 does help .
The thing is no cops and its like in Frankfort on the auto bon sept the yacky yack phones users wandering all over hells acker

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
<<snip>>
As for traffic I have regretted going through Chattanooga lately and just take 72 out to Scottsboro, over the mountains through Summerville, GA and pick up I75 in Adairsville. Not recommending it if you have not driven it before but I might (because I have driven the back roads in North Georgia for years) take GA 53 over to Gainesville and take US 129 straight into Athens. But it will probably take longer and/or use more gas. I am the sort who has driven 30 minutes around a 20 minute delay to avoid being stopped so keep that in mind before taking my detour.

Yes, Chattanooga has gotten much worse in recent years and I avoid it also. I drove up through Valley Head and Mentone today and over through Summerville. While the GPS claimed it was the fastest route, I will have to disagree. Too many curves, turns, 4-way stops, etc. My trip last week taking Hwy 35 through Ft Payne and over through Rome was much easier driving... at least until I got near Atlanta anyway.

The drive today was completely brutal, and I-75 and I-85 were both parking lots in many places, to the point that I pulled your trick... drove 30 minutes out of the way to keep from having to sit in traffic on the "interstate"! All told, my 4.5 hour trip took a bit over 6 hours, but I managed to arrive without getting my car destroyed by the idiots who had new wrecks every 2 or 3 miles, so I guess I was successful. Big Grin

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4551 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
<<snip>>
In addition to what trapper said, it's 50 FUCKING Lanes, ALWAYS assholes and elbows, there are seemingly exits every 25 feet, and everyone drives like shit.
<<snip>>

Summed up today's experience perfectly!!!

Bill R.
North Alabama

Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
Glad to here you made with the paint intact Bill. Traffic was pretty bad early but the evening “Rush Hour” wasn’t too bad. Stockbridge to Marietta only took an hour. Glad I did not have to do what my boss did, Dalton towards Stockbridge but got turned around to Canton. And the pay lanes were Southbound only.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I LOATHE driving thru Atlanta. I'll take Houston any day, at least we have many options for routes.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, I’ll vent and express my loathing for Atlanta traffic as well. I’ve driven in Chicago, LA, and other larger cities, but for some reason Atlanta always seems much worse to me than other cities. I drive through Atlanta a couple of times a year, and cuss the whole way while I hold my breath waiting for imminent death.

Posts: 135 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: October 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Nope, nope, nope.

We drive from Chicago to Florida every year. We drive down through Alabama and then across the Florida panhandle just to avoid Atlanta.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Glad to see I'm not the only one who despises it so much! Unfortunately I have to go back through it one more time tomorrow... at least until the next time we come over to visit the offspring unit! She is coming "home" to Alabama to see us for Christmas, so that's at least one month I won't have to pass through Atlanta!

Oh, and for those of you who live in the Atlanta area, what is the road like taking the following alternate route:

I-75 S to Acworth, Hwy 92 E through Woodstock to Roswell, then 140 over to I-85? Hwy 140 becomes Jimmy Carter Blvd as it crosses I-85, so I would be missing all of the I-285 interchange shit, and the heaviest of traffic out of Atlanta towards Athens.

Obviously other options are welcome as I'd RATHER be even further east before getting back on I-85. Thanks!

Bill R.
North Alabama

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Your mistake was picking a route that goes anywhere near Atlanta. That route through the north Atlanta area is heavy traffic too. Jimmy Carter Blvd. should be a clue. Smile You need to be a little farther north.
Put the addresses into a mapping site and look for one that goes through the Dawsonville, GA area and keeps you well north of the city of ATL.
I moved from the metro Atlanta area about 20 years ago to the north Georgia mountains area so I'm familiar with the difficulty of east-west travel to places like Huntsville. No direct routes on major highways but with GPS it's no big deal nowadays and a bit more scenic too.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post