SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Why is it SO hard to find this Toyota part??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why is it SO hard to find this Toyota part?? Login/Join 
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted
A few months back, the driver side transmission oil seal started to leak. This is the sealing ring where the drive shaft goes into the transmission.

I called the local dealer after trying to find it myself online with no luck (too many contradicting part #s). I went up their with the one I pulled out of my RAV in hand; they didn’t match. They looked it up via my VIN; the part their system brought up wasn’t it. The tech then took my part into the back, opened an interdimensional portal, and brought back a new part that matched mine. Yay. I installed it and thought I was good.

Fast forward to now, I notice it is leaking again, albeit to a much lesser extent. Uuuugh. Maybe I didn’t get the last one to seat perfectly straight (it was a PITA).

Did I save the bag? Of course not. I’ve already called both dealers in Albuquerque and gotten 3 part #s, of which I’m only certain 1 is not the right one. The images on the Toyota parts site suck, so I have to survey Google images where I can see that part bag.

I really don’t want to take the RAV out of commission for enough time to bring the actual part to each dealer with the hope that they have one of whatever-the-hell-part-# it is in stock.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

If you are bored:

2011 RAV4 Limited 4x4 (1st and only owner)
3.5L V-6
Last 8 of VIN: BW050178

The 3 options given so far:

9031137004 - looks close, but not thick enough
9031150063 - looks closer than the next one, but still not thick enough
9031155005 - doesn’t look at all right in photos

It should look like this:

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
My power steering lines have been back ordered for a month. Mad

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does Fel-Pro, National, Victor Reinz or some other decent aftermarket company make one for this application?

Looks like Rock Auto is listing a National seal that looks pretty close to what you have pictured.

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
My one complaint with Toyota is their parts search online. You very well may have to dig a lot on their parts site going through schematics and half the time none of it makes sense (items on subcategories that you'd never think would be there). Also have found never trust the images on their site. Once you find a part number, punch it into ebay and usually someone has a current photo with a listing.

Good luck as it is a giant ass pain.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would this one work?

https://parts.toyota.com/p/Toy...3730/9031150048.html

or this one -

https://www.carid.com/2011-toy...seal-4519027541.html

The Timken part shows out of stock at the carid website but here's a link to a (the?) Timken distributor in New Mexico:

https://www.timken.com/locations/

1. PARTS PLUS OF NEW MEXICO
5900 OFFICE BOULEVARD NORTH EAST
ALBUQUERQUE, NM 87109, USA
Phone: (505) 341-7000
Fax: (505) 341-7078

Here's the link to RockAuto that M1Garandy is referring to: (part#710732)

https://www.rockauto.com/en/ca...tput+shaft+seal,8636

The above RockAuto link is for the 4-cyl RAV4. Here's the link to the output seals for the 6-cyl. model:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/ca...tput+shaft+seal,8636

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
Regarding the ones mentioned, there just isn't a way for me to know if any of those are right without having them in-hand. That's the main bitch I have about this; it shouldn't be so hard to figure out which is the one I need.

I seriously considering just order several of the top candidates, fingers crossed that ONE of them is the right one, then returning the rest.

I'm going to look more into the Rock Auto options; at least those list the transmission. This one is for a U151F tranny. I'm leaning towards this one because the details seem to fit (Left; 4WD; Trans. code U151F) and the photo looks like the real deal.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
A few months back, the driver side transmission oil seal started to leak. This is the sealing ring where the drive shaft goes into the transmission.

I called the local dealer after trying to find it myself online with no luck (too many contradicting part #s).

I have always used ToyoDIY to find my Toyota part numbers. You have to create an account (free), and then you are able to view the EPC (electronic parts catalog) for your vehicle (VIN is the best way to get there). The EPC shows complete schematics, relationship of parts, and the part numbers.

Do not buy from them, however. Armed with the part number, put it into a search engine and use one of the several discount sites, like Toyota Parts Deal, if you want the OEM part. The search engine will also lead you to aftermarket versions of the part.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
When you bought the one that’s currently installed in the RAV4, have you tried calling the dealer and asking them to look at your purchase history? If they didn’t store the transaction by name, they may be able to look for the purchase by the card that you used.

Just a hopeful idea.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
When you bought the one that’s currently installed in the RAV4, have you tried calling the dealer and asking them to look at your purchase history? If they didn’t store the transaction by name, they may be able to look for the purchase by the card that you used.

Just a hopeful idea.

I did. No go. Frown

Henryaz- I’ll give that a shot!

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I’ve had great luck with emailing and ordering from Sparks Toyota for weird parts. Does your vin start with 2 or J?

https://parts.sparkstoyota.com...528/90311-35056.html

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
A 2.

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fast forward to now, I notice it is leaking again, albeit to a much lesser extent. Uuuugh. Maybe I didn’t get the last one to seat perfectly straight (it was a PITA).
It is certainly possible to seat the seal crooked or ding it up when installing it, as well as nick the seal lip with the shaft splines. It is also possible that you did install it correctly but there is excessive play at the shaft due to worn support bearings in the transmission. A small amount is normal, but if it moves excessively you'll have repeat failures.

Posts: 27928 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post