SIGforum
Dr. told me to start taking Fish Oil

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/4470024454

March 11, 2019, 11:30 AM
erj_pilot
Dr. told me to start taking Fish Oil
2,000mg twice per day. Can I tell you I'm already sick and tired of the fish burps?? Good lord, it's disgusting... Red Face

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24
March 11, 2019, 11:40 AM
grumpy1
I buy the burpless kind. Little more expensive but worth it to me. Local Meijer often has buy one get one free on their vitamins and supplements.
March 11, 2019, 11:52 AM
erj_pilot
I saw that and was immediately skeptical. So is it really burpless??

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24
March 11, 2019, 12:00 PM
BigSwede
Me too. I have found if you drink some water a few minutes after taking them the fish burps don't happen. The ones I have now say " lemon flavor to control fishy aftertaste" FAKE NEWS

March 11, 2019, 12:35 PM
BurtonRW
Mrs.BurtonRW prefers flaxseed oil for that reason. It doesn't have to be fish - he just wants you to have the E.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A
March 11, 2019, 01:24 PM
SBrooks
Been taking fish oil for years. Never had an issue with taste or burps...

I buy whatever is on sale that day at Walgreens.

------------------
SBrooks
March 11, 2019, 01:36 PM
cheesegrits
Freeze them. It should reduce the burps. I freeze mine and never have burps or an upset stomach.
March 11, 2019, 01:37 PM
just1tym
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
2,000mg twice per day. Can I tell you I'm already sick and tired of the fish burps?? Good lord, it's disgusting... Red Face

May I ask why your doctor recommended to start taking it for you, I'm just curious? I take several vitamins to supplement daily food choices, have for many, many, years. My late Grandmother interested me in taking vitamin supplements in the early 70's.

Regards, Will G.
March 11, 2019, 01:49 PM
Jimbo54
I have taken fish oil along with red yeast rice to control my cholesterol and it has done that. I don't take statins and never will. I can't recall ever having a problem with burping or fish taste. Maybe it's just my metabolism.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird
March 11, 2019, 02:15 PM
V-Tail
What cheesegrits said.

Keep them in the freezer.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
March 11, 2019, 03:16 PM
Johnny 3eagles
You can try the Krill Oil as well. Seems to offer the same benefits and is (for me) burpless. We usually buy the Sam's Club branded (cheaper) rather than the Mega Red brand.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
March 11, 2019, 03:23 PM
slabsides45
I don't take mine all the time, but when I do it's last thing before bedtime. If you sleep hard like I do, I don't generally have residual issues next day.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers
March 11, 2019, 04:00 PM
PossibleZombie
The healthy benefits of fish oil pills have already been debunked, it sounds like your doctor is behind the times.

https://www.health.harvard.edu...benefits-to-fish-oil
March 11, 2019, 04:25 PM
V-Tail
quote:
Originally posted by PossibleZombie:
The healthy benefits of fish oil pills have already been debunked, it sounds like your doctor is behind the times.

Can you post the article here? I can't see it on the harvard.edu website unless I log in.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
March 11, 2019, 05:00 PM
Mars_Attacks
quote:
Originally posted by PossibleZombie:

It knocked my cholesterol WAY down.

However I hate the fish burps too.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.
March 11, 2019, 05:30 PM
ASKSmith
I started taking Krill, at my parents suggestion. Even my doc stated that it shouldn't have a major impact on cholesterol levels, but one of the "side effects" is it is also anti-inflammatory.

I blew out my knee in a motorcycle accident, and walk about 16 miles a day. I have arthritis in my knee, post surgery. I noticed within 3 days of taking Krill, I barely even notice it.

If you shop around, you can usually find it BOGO. No fish burps.

-----------------
I apologize now...
March 11, 2019, 05:36 PM
grumpy1
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
I saw that and was immediately skeptical. So is it really burpless??

For me it has been. Best thing to do is try a bottle next time and see how it works for you.
March 11, 2019, 05:45 PM
dgrdvm
I take Nodic Naturals. Seem to more purified EPA and DHA than Walmart stuff, and I do not taste any fishy burps like I do the cheap stuff. It help with my high mileage joint issues. Your results may vary, but give it a shot. Flaxseed has a bunch of ALA, which is an omega 3 fatty acid that can be converted to DHA and EPA, just not efficiently. The anti inflammatory benefits are thought to be from DHA and EPA, not so much ALA. Flaxseed also has omega 6 fatty acids that can be pro inflammatory. Pay attention to the 6:3 ratio if you can

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that'
George Carlin
March 11, 2019, 06:00 PM
medic15al
Careful at that dose.... Not much more can trigger brain bleeds. I take the same dosage and that was told to me by doc.
March 11, 2019, 08:22 PM
PossibleZombie
Are there any health benefits to fish oil?
On call
Published: August, 2018

Image: © BrianAJackson/Getty Images

Q. I take fish oil supplements for heart health, but now I hear they aren't helpful. What's the truth?

A. Fish intake remains an important part of a healthy diet, but the enthusiasm for fish oil supplements has been dampened by several recent studies that showed no benefit for a variety of conditions.

Researchers have observed for decades that people who eat fish prepared healthfully (not fried) have a lower risk for heart disease. Some of this benefit no doubt involves the use of fish to replace less healthy foods. Yet omega-3 fatty acids, which are abundant in fish, are another explanation. Our bodies don't make these fatty acids, so they need to come from our diet, and fish or fish oil supplements have the highest amounts.

Although some early studies in men with heart disease showed some benefit from omega-3 fatty acids whether from food or supplements, most research involving healthy people shows no convincing evidence that taking fish oil supplements reduces heart disease risk. In fact, a recent summary of the use of fish oil supplements, published in JAMA Cardiology, concluded there was no heart benefit for people with or without existing heart disease. Other uses for fish oil remain popular but also have proved disappointing in studies. For instance, recent trials have found that supplemental fish oil does not relieve symptoms of dry eye or help ease arthritis pain and inflammation.

— by William Kormos, M.D.
Editor in Chief, Harvard Men's Health Watch