SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Helped my 15yo son get his books at the college bookstore...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Helped my 15yo son get his books at the college bookstore... Login/Join 
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
The best was when a professor wrote a book you had to buy. Roll Eyes

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Wait - where does beer money come from at end of semester when you turn them back in for 25% of the amount your parents paid for them??!!
Eek

Yep, the Friday night of finals week was always financed with book buyback money. You must've had rich parents, though. Mine didn't give me a dime.

Posts: 20097 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
The best was when a professor wrote a book you had to buy. Roll Eyes

Nope. The best was when the class got to be the professor’s free researchers for the new edition of his textbook. Roll Eyes

I had a class in law school on construction law. There was no final exam. Instead, each student’s grade was based on writing a paper on key cases and developments in specific areas of construction law over the last 20 years.

Curiously, these areas neatly aligned with the table of contents of the professor’s textbook on construction law written 20 years ago.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6400 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
Digital books were just kinda starting to take off halfway through college for me. Actually liked them a lot more and just used an android tablet. Best feature was being able to search a keyword just like on a website and it'd take you right to the page. Also saved a ton since I could rent most of them with Google play and wouldn't rent it till I needed it and then had it instantly.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I recall trying to get a jump start on which of my vet books were the same edition they would be using for the next class, then posting a note (not digital, mind you, I had to actually use my hand and ink to produce it) in the area frequented by the incoming freshmen or sophomore students.

By then I used the money for fun activities like diapers and baby food, but I can recall how much some of those books cost me, and how IF I bought a used one and then resold it for the same or a bit more, I thought I was a great businessman. Roll Eyes

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have a friend that taught at one of the local colleges. He was appalled at the scam that textbooks were. The publishers would have expenses paid "junkets" for their sales of texts to the colleges. Places like Vegas, Hawaii, etc.

They had in some integrated work books into the text books, thereby rendering the textbook useless for a sell back as the work books were gone. They would change one or two paragraphs in a text book annually thereby rendering the book obsolete, etc.

He said it was obvious to him they wanted to kill the resale business.

Tony

Posts: 312 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
He taking chemistry in person on MW. When I was in school, the lab for the science class was on Friday. His school has no classes on Friday, and the only Chem Lab offered at his campus conflicts with other things, so he is taking it online.

Last night he showed me the online Chem Lab. There’s virtual beakers and shit. You use your mouse to guide virtual hands to do the work. It was really funny on his 55” screen. I told him he needs to try it with his VR headset. Crazy stuff.

Posts: 10930 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Probably good for someone like myself when working with dangerous chemicals. I always wrote the lab report while my partner did the experiment.

Posts: 17228 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Right? I’m looking at it asking him what happens when you do something wrong? Does the screen flash red and a klaxon sound? Does the flesh melt off the virtual hands? Can you blow the lab up by leaving the unlit Bunsen burner going?

Posts: 10930 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I finally got my moneys worth from my differential equations book. I got it in 1969. Found it buried in my house and put it in the bathroom for some light reading. It makes bathrooming go faster. And gets the strangest comments from visitors.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6313 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post