SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I really hate new password day.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I really hate new password day. Login/Join 
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted
Every 90 days, all day long;

e-sig with old password out of habit.

Get error message.

Say bad word.

Resign with new password.

Repeat in about 15 minutes.

I'm currently at the point where I catch it after I type in the old password and before I hit enter. By the end of the shift I should be good.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
AotherNewFuckingP-Word123

Change "123" as/when required. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
U.S. govt - every 60 days and different for every system you are in. Can not be written down and they really want you to use one of their password generators which is a nightmare to remember.
Retired now and don't miss the insanity.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB3
posted Hide Post
6 systems, all with different reset dates, unable to use "common" words such as planet names, car models etc, or the system boots you out.

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
20+ years ago, my former employer had some bullshit password setting that wasn't based on # of days but instead it was based on # of logins. We had a ton of reboots because we were at the end of a power grid, they were too cheap for UPSs, and of course there was the typical 90s Windows stability issues.

As you can imagine we were all pretty frustrated at changing our passwords several times per month. My boss was back-up system administrator and one day needed to change a CAD setting and asked for my password (can't remember why he couldn't use his admin password). I was pretty embarrassed that my password was profanity laden, but fortunately none of it aimed at any individuals.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
Used to work IT in a nuke plant in the early 90s. They had monthly password changes.

I swear I could sit down at any persons desk and login with a password like "August1993", then 30 days later use "September1993"

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Please enter your new password:

"cabbage"

Sorry, the password must be more than 8 characters.

"boiled cabbage"

Sorry, the password must contain 1 numerical character.

"1 boiled cabbage"

Sorry, the password cannot have blank spaces.

"50bloodyboiledcabbages"

Sorry, the password must contain at least one upper case character.

"50BLOODYboiledcabbages"

Sorry, the password cannot use more than one upper case character consecutively.

"50BloodyBoiledCabbagesShovedUpYourArse,IfYouDon'tGiveMeAccessnow”

Sorry, the password cannot contain punctuation.

“ReallyPissedOff50BloodyBoiledCabbagesShovedUpYourArseIfYouDontGiveMeAccessnow”

Sorry, that password is already in use!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
LMAO!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Please enter your new password:

"cabbage"

Sorry, the password must be more than 8 characters.

"boiled cabbage"

Sorry, the password must contain 1 numerical character.

"1 boiled cabbage"

Sorry, the password cannot have blank spaces.

"50bloodyboiledcabbages"

Sorry, the password must contain at least one upper case character.

"50BLOODYboiledcabbages"

Sorry, the password cannot use more than one upper case character consecutively.

"50BloodyBoiledCabbagesShovedUpYourArse,IfYouDon'tGiveMeAccessnow”

Sorry, the password cannot contain punctuation.

“ReallyPissedOff50BloodyBoiledCabbagesShovedUpYourArseIfYouDontGiveMeAccessnow”

Sorry, that password is already in use!

This is very familiar.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I started using bull****1 and changed the digit every month as necessary. Seemed very fitting.

I had multiple passwords, one for every site I had to access. And one of them had an additional security code that had to be accessed for key code information.

Massive PITA. Most fun I had was after returning from being off on medical for almost three weeks.I came back to a crashed computer due to a coworker and most all of my passwords requiring change. And due to my dominant arm in a sling I had to first wait for IT to come in, blame me (as usual company policy to flip out on the user of the terminal), take four or five hours to decide that the PC was infected and then get another one, set up all the accesses needed then my fun started setting up passwords,shortcuts,favorites,etc. while listening to the boss complain.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Make life easier on yourself. If the expired password is "xyzzy" ... then the new password is Caps Lock "xyzzy". That way the core password lasts two periods.

Posts: 2540 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 33795 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
AotherNewFuckingP-Word123

Change "123" as/when required. Wink

That's what I do.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
Here's what I do:

I let my password expire (oops!). I call our Help Desk, who reset to a default password, which is different for every employee.

I then just use that default password as my password...until oops, it expires again.

It has worked for me for seven years already.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2839 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
U.S. govt - every 60 days and different for every system you are in. Can not be written down and they really want you to use one of their password generators which is a nightmare to remember.
Retired now and don't miss the insanity.

I submit that only a small minority of people with extraordinary memory skills can remember all the usernames and passwords in a common work environment. And when you have to completely change them frequently, no way normal people can do this. Yes, I know you aren't supposed to write them down but us mere mortals must do so and management is just fooling themselves to believe otherwise.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Wayback when, when they suggested mandatory password changes, it made sense. Now, it does not, and it's actually not recommended anymore, which makes coming up with another password even more aggravating, since it'll be another decade before they switch back to not requiring it.

https://www.ftc.gov/news-event...ory-password-changes

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I set the password policy in my organization as follows.

- 14 characters.

- Mixed case, one or more letters, and one or more non alpha-numeric characters.

I ask folks to pick a couple non related words and use numbers and symbols to replace some of the alpha characters.

For example, "plastic planets" is 15 length.

Make it "plasticplanets", now 14 length.

Then change it to this: "pl@st1cplan3ts" and it is easy to recall, meets strong complexity and I do not ask them to change it, unless it is compromised.

I also have everything set to prevent "brute force" by limiting/locking attempts to several seconds/minutes/hours/days/weeks/months intervals for times when someone may "mistype" a password.

Normal screw ups will still allow one to "get in" if they "fat finger" their password, but attempts that are run "too fast" or "too frequent" will be automatically locked out, flagged and I am notified.

If it is a legitimate failure on a user, they can contact me and I can provide them access.

This also serves to highlight a hack attempt on a user or a brute force against the enterprise.

This policy helps ensure people use strong effective and easy to recall passwords, prevents them from writing them down and no need to change them unless it is warranted.

I started doing this over 20 years ago and never suffered a breach due to passwords.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Winner
posted Hide Post
Having spent the last 36 years working in IT, and having grown tired of the sheer number of passwords that I have to remember and 2FA authenticators that I have to carry, this is one of the reasons that I've transitioned most of my stuff at the house to using Yubikey authentication, and I have been lobbying for the doing the same at the office.

Don't use dictionary words.
Use at least 1 upper case letter.
Use at least 1 special character.
Use at least 1 lower case letter.
Use at least 12 characters.
Don't use the same password across different systems.
Change passwords every 30-90 days.
Don't write passwords down.
Don't reuse passwords.

All of this sounds really smart and reasonable, until you realize that you now have to track over a 100 different ever changing nonsensical passwords.

Posts: 132 | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post