SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Defeatism
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Defeatism Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted
In recent days, outside of this forum, I have seen some gun people and “conservative” folks online just lose it with the most utterly ridiculous shit. They think Trump is finished and that Harris is the new Obama from 2008. I thought about it, but decided not to post examples of their insane bullshit, it is too ludicrous to even revisit, too ridiculous. It is amazing how quick the white flag raises when something changes in the game, and not necessarily a bad thing either. What makes this even more ridiculous is that we are still in the drivers seat; as long as we stay focused, put our noses to the grindstone and work at it, not be complacent, we'll be good.

To me, this defeatist mentality is childish, cowardly and disgusting; I wouldn't want these same people with me in the trenches and foxholes when the mortars come flying. I have definitely reduced my online surfing a bit for now, but the short period of this coronation will change to harsh reality for Harris. And I’m sure the Debbie Downers will continue to spew their useless shit.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17128 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biden is left of Obama and Harris is 10 times further left than Biden

Posts: 1454 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
oddball is not referring specifically to Biden/Harris/Obama. He's talking about a general attitude of open cowardice on display. No one wants to have allies who fold like cheap lawn furniture in the face of uncertainty.

The Robert Louis Stevenson quote says it all: "Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others."

I don't know which specific forums or venues oddball is referring to, but I can tell you one likely cause in at least some gun forums, of leadership failing to lead, is that many gun forums are now owned by foreign entities, who either don't give a damn about American politics, or who wish to see Trump defeated in November.

In my opinion, a forum leader should now be working to discourage those who discourage others, but I'm still kind of new at this, so, I could be wrong.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 108937 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I ain't going nowhere. And I cannot suffer Hand Wringing Pearl Clutchers™.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44405 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
I wouldn't want these same people with me in the trenches and foxholes when the mortars come flying.

But you're not there, you're here.

Posts: 21325 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
In addition to the shameful public displays of fear by some, which pull down those around them, there's the maddening, rampant conspiracy shit.

I have gotten to the point on Twitter, that if someone posts the phrase "It's an inside job", I just mute them immediately, with no further consideration of the matter.

The number of times this exact phrase has been posted there is such that it's entirely inadequate to call it 'overused'. It's embarrassingly unoriginal, and most people using it offer no rationale for it. They look at the massive incompetence of a DEI hire Secret Service Director and claim- without elaboration or substantiation- that there is a massive conspiracy afoot.

Some of these same people yammer about Biden having several body doubles, most of whom wear masks- masks, I might add, which are so convincing that these body doubles can get inches away from other people, and the subterfuge is undetectable. The greatest makeup artists in Hollywood have never created such convincing fakery, yet the Biden administration- a plague of fools- has pulled it off for years.

Multiple shooters at the Trump attempted assassination site. An antisocial 20 year old whacko who nearly managed to kill Donald Trump, not because of complacency and ineptitude of government employees who have never in their lives encountered an actual wannabe assassin, but because of a shadowy government conspiracy; not because of human folly- which is as common as the air we breathe- but because evil geniuses are everywhere.

What it amounts to is countless anonymous people talking out of their collective ass on the internet, who've- at best- gathered up some of the muddied details and "facts" being thrown around and declared a massive conspiracy. This is at best. Many of them are merely parroting "It's an inside job" because they think it makes them appear wiser than those around them.

It's intelligence-insulting horse shit, and the best part about it is that it's only just begun. We can look forward to years and years of this fucking nonsense and that's just peachy fucking keen.

Shoot gun,
get check
Picture of Scoobaru
posted Hide Post
Excerpt from Para's first post:
quote:

The Robert Louis Stevenson quote says it all: "Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others."

Ooo... I like that, it speaks to me.

Posts: 632 | Location: The pointy part of Nevada | Registered: March 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
They think Trump is finished and that Harris is the new Obama from 2008.

Every political candidate or party gets a "bump" in polls and fundraising after their conventions, or, in the current case, a major shakeup event. The "honeymoon" will be over soon.

This kind of attitude is reminiscent of Ross Perot in 1992. Right after the Dem convention he announced "The Democratic Party has re-VAT-uh-lazzed itself. We cannot win in November." Maybe not, but at least he had a chance before. That, plus his re-entering the race with a bullshit excuse why he dropped out, reduced his slim chances to zero. A self-fulfilling prophecy if there ever was one. So it will be with these "Debbie Downers" if they aren't careful.

Posts: 28586 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

Posts: 16152 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Yep, fear has the faint odor of shit.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17128 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
we are still in the drivers seat; as long as we stay focused

^^^ yes, we need to not underestimate the enemy.
This is not defeatism but a cry to focus until the very end.

Posts: 23171 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

And to add, having confidence, to actually state "we're going to win" is not "underestimating the enemy". To call the opposition incompetent is not underestimating them either, just stating pure fact. Underestimating them is to say "we can do this with our bench team" or "this is so easy, we can have a lower turnout and still win." Nobody is doing this.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
we are still in the drivers seat; as long as we stay focused
This is not defeatism but a cry to focus until the very end.
Just who is it you think is "underestimating the enemy"? And what do you mean by "focus until the very end"?

You think people are deciding to not vote? Because of...why?

I don't get this.

What oddball is talking about in his first post is something which is actually happening, and it's been happening constantly and for a long time. It's an attitude I've fought against for many years in this forum. It has nothing to do with whether or not a person intends to vote.

Whining and cynicism and preaching gloom and doom serves only to bring people down. It's undignified. People need to display courage. Discouraging people by predicting defeat is a selfish and counterproductive thing to do. If defeat does come, there will be plenty of time for all that stuff.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Yep, fear has the faint odor of shit.

I think that you just included two great CUTs for someone on the forum in this post to scoop up.

Posts: 3353 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
In recent days, outside of this forum, I have seen some gun people and “conservative” folks online just lose it with the most utterly ridiculous shit. They think Trump is finished and that Harris is the new Obama from 2008...

Tell me about shit like this. I'm at my parents place, and just minutes ago, my sister came over, and what did I hear from her? "Oh, Kamala is going to be our next President". Asked her how the hell did she determined that, and why is she giving up, already. Answer: "All the blacks are going to vote for her. All the women are going to vote for her". This from a highly educated person who got brainwashed by the MSM. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 27447 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Don't get overly hung up on polls. Every candidate gets a "bump" in fundraising and poll standings after a convention or a major shakeup.

Posts: 28586 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post