SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    What’s up with browser spell checking?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What’s up with browser spell checking? Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted
What’s up with the internet browser spell checking on my iPhone, Samsung Galaxy Tab S6, and brand new Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite I bought on Saturday? When using both Chrome and Edge browsers, the spell checking offers wrong spellings for correct words and doesn’t flag incorrect words. This has been happening for over a year on the iPhone and S6 tablet. The S6 Lite tablet is brand spanking new and I’m having the same issue. It happens when I’m posting here. Any real typing, I do on the computer.

At first, I thought one of my kids was pranking me by messing with the devices’ dictionaries or other settings, but no one but me has touched the new tablet.

Any ideas what I’m doing wrong or what settings I need to tweak?

Posts: 10961 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Samsung auto correct seems to have taken a massive step backwards recently.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15338 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
Probably DEI compatible!!! LOL

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
^^^I honestly was wondering if somoething like that wasn't a possibility. Like rather than shame people with poor spelling by flagging every other word, someone decided to shame everyone equally.

Here's a screenshot of an example that just happened:

Posts: 10961 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
This is a feature in the browser that you control. Just turn it off in the software preferences.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Not flagging my spelling something as somoething and flagging warranty as wrong while offering up waaranty as the correct spelling is a feature?

What setting do I use to turn that off?

What setting do I use to turn on a spell checker that works?

This is happening in Chrome and Edge on my tablet as well as Safari and Edge on my iPhone.

posted Hide Post
I too have noticed multiple spelling options offered up as I except a correction. Apple also changes words a few steps back to fix my grammar or make my sentence more sensible to them.

“That’s what.” - She

Posts: 333 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: June 06, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skywag
posted Hide Post

My spell checker wanted to change "Constellation" to constipation.

Posts: 174 | Location: United States | Registered: January 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
OT, but the Connie sure is a pretty bird.

And, on topic, I had to make 3 revisions to this post to fix Android autocorrect misses.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15338 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
The guy who invented spell check died yesterday.

His funnel will be tomato.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: V-Tail,

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30687 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
This is 100% your settings. Turn all that crap off.

Posts: 33819 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
In Safari, under the Edit menu, submenu "spelling and grammar," there are two settings you can simply turn off. Check spelling... Check grammar...

Other browsers have similar settings. Should be an easy fix.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
The guy who invented spell check died yesterday.

His funnel will be tomato.

My favorite so far!

Turn it off and proof read, many spell check programs are keylog data collection "to help improve the product"
It is in the licence agreement you clicked ok to without reading.

“Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.”

John Adams

Posts: 317 | Location: Land of 10000 Taxes | Registered: March 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post