SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    That dumb/loud Dolby Digital/DTS/Atmos thing before movies
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

That dumb/loud Dolby Digital/DTS/Atmos thing before movies Login/Join 
posted
Maybe I run the risk of getting jumped-on by all the audio folks, but I can't stand that thing. I perceive it as a bunch of weird sounds played at a needlessly excessive volume. I solve the problem by muting the TV, until the actual movie starts, but I'll forget every now and then, and I'll be reminded how dumb that is.

Posts: 2454 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Everybody needs to put up their "Look at me!" logo or signature whatever. It is kind of loud though. What annoys me more than that is because so many movies nowadays are collaborations between multiple different production companies, they ALL have to show their logo video clips. Takes for freaking ever. I don't give a crap what studio/s produced it, just get to the movie for cryin' out loud!

Posts: 7387 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
I never understood why the closing credits have to go to the detail of listing the cooks and bottle washers....

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3347 | Location: Grapevine TX/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
^^^ Thank George Lucas.

When they were making Star Wars, they were too cheap to pay everyone.

They got volunteers to work if their name got put on the screen.

Posts: 9383 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I don't mind the sound and the logo, but it is way too loud.

But then I usually think the whole thing is way too loud. Haven't been to the movies in ages, but I usually end up with ear plugs in to be able to physically tolerate it.

("You bring ear plugs to the movies?" I bring ear plugs everywhere.)

Posts: 21325 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Love it. I won’t bust your balls being an “audio guy”. But I go in my HT, that I paid good money for, and was in debt a few years for, as a working man. Light that mother fucker up. DTS intro is out fucking standing when it’s your own shit, cranked up, ready for the fight.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12907 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
I can understand why maybe you don't care for it, but it does have a purpose.
First, if you are an audiophile it lets you know which decoding codec, the film will be using.
Second, it sets the baseline for the volume level the movie is mixed in, so you can adjust at that moment for the rest of the movie.

The idea of high quality codecs like Atmos is to reproduce a lifelike environment in your theater.

Example: if we were sitting in a room, having a conversation, it should be at a normal volume level. But if I pull out a .45 and fire it, or drop a grenade in the room, it would be extremely loud.

That intro allows us that have the systems to take advantage of the mixing, adjust accordingly.

Posts: 5055 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
it sets the baseline for the volume level the movie is mixed in, so you can adjust at that moment for the rest of the movie
Now that makes some sense of it. So, the peak volume of that logo scene is the peak volume you'll experience in the film?

This seems directly related to another movie audio phenomenon that irks me, and is becoming more prolific. The range of volume in a film. I can't be the only one that doesn't have a home theater, and would appreciate it if an action scene didn't blow the doors off the house, while the next scene is whispered dialogue that requires a volume adjustment. All these audio elements that are supposed to make the films "more enjoyable" do the opposite for me.

Posts: 2454 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
Correct it does set a proximity of what to expect in loudness.

If you want to narrow the dynamic range for a movie you are viewing, have you tried setting the mix to stereo?

That should help.

As explained above, dynamic range is supposed to reproduce lifelike situations i.e. talking versus shooting a gun off next to you in a room...

Posts: 5055 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
have you tried setting the mix to stereo?
Is this done in the movie menu's audio settings, or the TV?

I would not have guessed that my whiny thread would have yielded a potential solution to my audio woes. I appreciate it.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
In the movie's audio menu.

There will sometimes (though not always) be a 5.1/7.1/Atmos mix for those with home theater systems, and a separate Stereo mix for those with just a 2 channel soundbar or just the built-in TV speakers.

Posts: 32992 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome. Thank you!

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
The other thing it does is that it sends a signal to every speaker in the sound system to make sure every speaker works without sending white noise throughout the system really would be a crime against everyone in the theater.

Posts: 4421 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rainman64:
I can understand why maybe you don't care for it, but it does have a purpose.
First, if you are an audiophile it lets you know which decoding codec, the film will be using.
Second, it sets the baseline for the volume level the movie is mixed in, so you can adjust at that moment for the rest of the movie.

The idea of high quality codecs like Atmos is to reproduce a lifelike environment in your theater.

Example: if we were sitting in a room, having a conversation, it should be at a normal volume level. But if I pull out a .45 and fire it, or drop a grenade in the room, it would be extremely loud.

That intro allows us that have the systems to take advantage of the mixing, adjust accordingly.

Thank you for a better explanation than I could come up with on short notice. My friends and I went to see Dune 2 recently and they had a similar complaints. I gave them the short version of it being for folks to set their home theaters and covered the range of the movie.

I use it to adjust my hearing aids to Theater and +/- gain

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14245 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post