SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I lost a key ring. Who's playing with AirTags?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I lost a key ring. Who's playing with AirTags? Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
I don't know which is greater: my annoyance or my disappointment.

Certainly, I'm annoyed because I can't find it. There's not much there -- a single key, a near-empty jump drive, and a laser-engraved dog tag with my contact info in DataMatrix code. I did that in case I lost it... was I tempting fate?

I'm disappointed because I typically don't lose things. I might misplace them, forget that I put them somewhere other than the usual place, or simply leave something in a jacket pocket. But I don't often totally lose things.

I remember seeing it when I dumped out my pockets a week ago. I put it on the nightstand, with all my other pocket-junk. And now it's vanished.

Searching, looking, crawling around on hands and knees, with no positive result. On the bed, under the bed, behind the nightstand, under the nightstand... nothing. In my day pack? Nope. In a dresser drawer? (And why??) Nope. Jacket pockets, laundry basket, even the duffel I packed for last weekend's road trip. Nuh-uh. On the desk, in the kitchen, in the cars... nothing.

Dangit, man! I don't just lose things. Haven't in a long time, at least. And now I've lost something. I've racked my brain for a week now, to no avail.

I hate losing things. Mad

------------
Edited title, 3/6/22.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vthoky,

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm right there with ya... I mean almost word for word.

But after yrs of being lucky, I lost a little 4" cresant wrench.

Have no clue where it disappeared.

It's really not a big deal (bought two too replace it), but it bothers me to no end.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I also feel your pain. I very rarely lose anything. So when I do it really irks me.

I managed to lose a pair of sunglasses with a retention strap somewhere in the last 3 months. Still expect it to show up.

Lost an Emerson knife when I was moving into this house about 3 years ago. I think that one is long gone. But a most generous karma from here on the part of two members rectified that.

Still aggravating. Everything has its place, I’ve learned to not try to put anything in a “safe place I won’t forget” anymore, too. Mad

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
In a stream, deep cave, pocket of a Hobbit?

Just spitballing some ideas for ya. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
“safe place I won’t forget” anymore, too. Mad

Been there and done that too... I call it temporarily misplaced. Wink

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't "lose" a key ring, as I know exactly where it is. It's on the bottom of Canyon Lake in Texas.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Step 1 to finding lost things is to create a thread about it .. because usually they surface shortly after that.

Perhaps I should have done that when I lost one of my ZT knives last year (was using it to break down boxes in the garage and I’m afraid it made its way into the recycling bin).

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
Step 1 to finding lost things is to create a thread about it .. because usually they surface shortly after that.

I thought it was buying a replacement (typically not on sale because you need it now) and when it arrives said lost item magically appears out of the portal of temporarily lost items.

Posts: 790 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I face the loss of objects daily. I don’t know how to feel. Is this normal under stress? Am I losing it? How do I fix this?

You are not alone.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Did you leave it on your desktop before you rebooted your PC? o_O

Posts: 3370 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
Did you leave it on your desktop before you rebooted your PC? o_O

No, but I did search the internet for possible solutions. Razz Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Went through this recently with something important…I ended up finding it but it took a while. I just bought some Apple AirTags and hopefully that will be the end of it…

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Found!!

We're supposed to wear lab jackets on the production floor, and I rarely do (because I'm often headed to the machine shop). Picked up my jacket this morning and found the key ring in the pocket.

A) Whew! Big Grin
B) Boy, do I feel like a doo-mahs. Roll Eyes

God bless America.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Look at getting an apple tag for it..

https://www.apple.com/airtag/

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I wasn't a fan of the idea before, HRK, but I'm very tempted now.

God bless America.

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Glad you found it.

FWIW, I adopted a stray kitty, he likes to grab things off my night stand and carry them off to play with in the house.

The last straw was my eyeglasses. It's really a pain in the *** to find your eyeglasses when you don't have them on.

Now everything goes IN the nightstand drawer.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
I wasn't a fan of the idea before, HRK, but I'm very tempted now.

Been thinking of a couple for a few mobile items that would be pricey, have no way to track, or would be difficult to replace such as wallet, key fobs, especially for my father to help keep track of stuff.. I think he'd draw the line at having it on a necklace though Big Grin

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Glad you found it. I lost a key once and found it almost a year later when my wife complained about the washer not draining properly. Turns out the washer had a drain trap and there was the key along with assorted schmutz clogging the trap.

Posts: 10824 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I think half my tools are in that safe place where I won't lose 'em.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Y'know, this ring has my work keys on it. Maybe work gets to purchase me an AirTag! Big Grin

(Or maybe I should just keep better track of my stuff....)

God bless America.