SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    When is a deal not a deal…?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When is a deal not a deal…? Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
At the risk of being a curmudgeonly old man, allow me to relay a story.

Motorcycle sale arranged. Date, price, location…all defined.

Today, finalizing details, the text message comes in…the fellow bought another machine.

A lot of work down the tubes. Maybe the sale is not meant to be.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
A hand shake used to count for something. That was in the old days.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30686 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
See my CUT.

Posts: 6307 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me, I pray about it and if it happens, it was meant to be. If not, I was not intended to have it. I have had a few deals go down like the one you describe. Hopefully you didn't have to drive far/at all or go face to face to be told.

Posts: 6891 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23466 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
If no consideration (deposit) was given, there is no deal.

He most likely got a better offer.

Posts: 5763 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:

This is not quite accurate. A contract is formed prior to the exchange of the consideration by either party. This is an executory contract - which is one not yet performed. In most people's understanding, this is a "deal," and the contract can be breached if one party refuses to perform.

A deposit isn't the full consideration, and is not needed to form an agreement/contract/deal.

Here, they formed an agreement to sell the bike for a certain price. That is likely a contract for the sale of the bike. For a contract of this kind (and for many contracts) a writing is not required. There was a "deal" and the buyer broke it. It is likely not worth making a claim over a broken contract like this, however.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What jhe said. Not to mention it’s a horseshit way to do business.

Posts: 960 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:

Or mentioned it to his wife the for the first time. People are flakes. I never get excited until I have cash in hand and see the person driving off with it.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
Or mentioned it to his wife the for the first time. People are flakes. I never get excited until I have cash in hand and see the person driving off with it.

Maybe he found out "do whatever the hell you want" doesn't mean what he thought it meant... Big Grin

Posts: 23466 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:

Maybe he found out "do whatever the hell you want" doesn't mean what he thought it meant... Big Grin
100%

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Deals are only as good as your ability to enforce them. They get broken all the time, but then again, so do bones when the deals are made with people that are VERY motivated.

Failing that level of commitment, we are left with good faith. Good luck.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had it happen to me, but I won't do it. If I give my word, I'm good for it.

Posts: 17146 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You were fortunate that he texted you . I hear about No call / no shows all the time . If you sell stuff it's bound to happen .

Posts: 4062 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Still trying to sell the machine, another party has reached out. He wants to make a significant deposit, taking the bike off the market. He wants me to continue riding the Motorcycle, until he arrives next May from Australia. Then he will finalize the purchase and enjoy a tour of mountain roads in North Carolina.

This is not a workable solution!

-------

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
Still trying to sell the machine, another party has reached out. He wants to make a significant deposit, taking the bike off the market. He wants me to continue riding the Motorcycle, until he arrives next May from Australia. Then he will finalize the purchase and enjoy a tour of mountain roads in North Carolina.

That’s screams scam to me.

Posts: 33817 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:

Agree it's not a good solution but man, it does sound like a great plan if you live overseas, buy a bike, ride it around the USA, take it back, or, sell it to recoup the money when you leave vs renting a bike.

If you don't mind, what bike are you selling.

Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
2013 BMW K1600GT with many custom features. 10,500 miles.

-------

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I sold a truck in a similar transaction to that several years ago. It was about $7,500, guy was going to be in area in 2 weeks on vacation. We had chatted about 45-50 minutes on phone, he offered to PayPal me "gift" of $1,000 to hold it for that time. Worst case scenario I could sell two weeks later for $1K less and broken even.

There was zero risk of a scam in that case, and he showed up as scheduled, handed me cash, and commenced on his family's week long road trip back from DFW to WI. His plans were actually to sell it there, which he did at a gain. Apparently rust-free Yukons are like gold there; he got a nice free rental out of the deal.

I get the knee-jerk reaction to SCAM!!! but depending on the structure it can work. For that long of a hold it would take a fair bit, but just be clear you're not going to refund it anytime soon, or ever. I'd try to get that money wired instead of a check or PayPal. Or Venmo/similar is same as a wire these days. If he does that all the risk is on him.

I personally didn't drive in that interim, and I'd not ride the bike. As a show of good faith take a pic of the mileage, send it to him, and tell him that's what it will look like when he shows up. Well, for that long probably better to ride it just a little, but not much.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12423 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
You were fortunate that he texted you . I hear about No call / no shows all the time

Agreed.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't be upset, you absolutely should be. At the same time be glad you got that courtesy of notification, a lot of times these people just ghost you.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post