SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Visiting Canada
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Visiting Canada Login/Join 
posted
Hi all,
My wife and I set to drive up to Quebec City tomorrow. Problem being I hear the Canadians are very restrictive in who they let in. Years ago upon returning from Vietnam and the Army I got into some minor trouble, a few arrests actually. All were misdemeanors and due to troubles from Vietnam.
I then went on to become a part time Police Officer and Reserve Deputy. Now I am worried when I get to Canada they won't let me in. Also, never told wife about troubles. Any thoughts?

kevin

Posts: 697 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: July 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Who knows until you actually are at Canada Customs.

A few years ago I sent an employee into Canada. He had no record, he was clean as far as he knew.

He was refused entry and sent back into the USA. Canada Customs gave him their reason, in 1964, as a 16 year old living in Italy because his Dad was US Military stationed in Italy, he got into a fist fight and was arrested. In Italy in 1964. Way over 40 years years ago.

Go figure.

I've been to Canada multiple times and never even a hint of an issue, yet coming back into the USA was a somewhat of a hassle.

Enjoy your visit in Canada, it's a great country and ally.

You mshould guy be able to contact Canada Customs or embassy and ask them beforehand.

Posts: 11981 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gene. I was in Canada in 2000 and did not have a problem but like you said the US Customs guy gave me a hard time asking about a woman I was with. Canada Customs said enjoy. Too late to call now, going tomorrow.

I cant imagine they run everyone's records or you would have lines backed up for miles.

Posts: 697 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: July 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
Don't get me started on Canadian customs. I had my motorcycle searched and was "interviewed" while the RV of college age kids was passed through with nothing but a wave. I was searched the first couple of times I went to Canada now it seems like I am good.

Quebec City is really nice, I spent three days there on the way back from Cape Breton and really enjoyed the old world feel. Just beware of the "Angry Moose". The Ft is awesome and definitely do the tour.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3721 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Whatever you do, don't lie.

Posts: 11206 | Location: The Magnolia State | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
You have your passport right? You don't need it to get in, but you need it to get back to the USA

Posts: 5536 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On one of my last visits to Canada, the entry officer asked my occupation. When I said I was a cop, I was immediately directed to another area where some folks were having their cars systematically disassembled. A uniformed Mountie approached me and asked if knew why I was being detained. I replied it was because I told the entry officer I was a cop. The Mountie asked if I had any firearms in my possession. When I said no, he shook hands with me and said "welcome to Canada".
Coming back into the US? Tore my truck apart including removing the plastic bed liner.
Welcome home!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16379 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not good guys! Yes I have passport. This should be an interesting trip then. Of course I don't know why US Customs would bust your chops?

Kevin

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Went in August. Upon entry, after occupation check, they asked if I had a gun in the car. My daughter pipes up and says he's probably got three.

I explained my daughter's sense of humor and advised them I know I'm not supposed to bring weapons into Canada and that I left them stateside and they can search my car if they want. They just said Good enough, enjoy your visit.

Coming back, they just looked in my trunk and let us in.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8153 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BrianC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:

Yeah, you don't want to end up in a Canadian jail. Poutine every day, hockey every night, a cellmate named Gordie who calls you "his own Don Cherry".

"Television is called a medium because nothing on it is well done." -- Fred Allen

Posts: 11139 | Location: Here. Now. | Registered: August 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BrianC
posted Hide Post
Maybe you can contact the Canadian Consulate and spell out the situation. You don't want to get turned back at the border.

"Television is called a medium because nothing on it is well done." -- Fred Allen

Posts: 11139 | Location: Here. Now. | Registered: August 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BrianC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
Went in August. Upon entry, after occupation check, they asked if I had a gun in the car. My daughter pipes up and says he's probably got three.

I explained my daughter's sense of humor and advised them I know I'm not supposed to bring weapons into Canada and that I left them stateside and they can search my car if they want. They just said Good enough, enjoy your visit.

Coming back, they just looked in my trunk and let us in.

“When I was crossing the border into Canada, they asked if I had any firearms with me. I said, "Well, what do you need?”

― Steven Wright

The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Canadian Customs is where Canada sends all the assholes. Everybody else is polite and friendly, then it's like, "Scott, you're a dick, here's a customs uniform."

When I was a kid, they wouldn't let my uncle in because he had a DUI on his record, nevermind that at the time he could barely walk or talk due to MS.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17084 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianC:
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:

Yeah, you don't want to end up in a Canadian jail. Poutine every day, hockey every night, a cellmate named Gordie who calls you "his own Don Cherry".

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Guy I work with got denied entry. Twenty plus years ago he had a DUI. Denied on that basis.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8378 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Geez. Last time i went to Canada I was a kid traveling with my grandmother. I think they might've asked business or pleasure and sent us on our way, barely stopped long enough to say hi. How times have changed.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5564 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I've always gotten a harder time, lots of questions, son questioned, where does he live, who does he live with, by US than Canada.

Posts: 11155 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Even the Canadians I know complain about their own customs officers. Roll Eyes

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enjoy Computer Living
Picture of LoungeChair
posted Hide Post
I heard a radio piece the other day about how the US is doing the same to Canadians. Sounds like tit for tat.

-Loungechair

Posts: 676 | Registered: October 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I've probably been up to Canada at least a hundred times over the years and all I've ever gotten was "Welcome! Have a great time, eh."

Coming back, however, has been an entirely different experience. It should not be illegal to beat the hell out of our border patrol officers.

Posts: 20563 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post