SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Nextdoor
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nextdoor Login/Join 
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
Sounds like it could be entertaining at times. Is there a way to anonymously browse through it without letting on that I'm there?

Look at Nextdoor.com

I did. It wants my address, which I suppose makes sense so it can know where to look. I guess I was hoping for an interactive map or something to just tell it what area to look in. I'm just not sure I want to give it my address.

Curious to see if anybody's badmouthing that crazy old coot with the ginormous walnut tree and the two dogs.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sounds like it could be entertaining at times.

Oh, it is.

There's a fella (?) in my neighborhood who goes on some fascinating rants occasionally. Get 'em while they're hot, because the moderators make them disappear from time to time. Big Grin

Hoo, boy! He's run some doozies, I tell ya.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

I did. It wants my address, which I suppose makes sense so it can know where to look.
Give an address near you. I don't think they'll send anybody to knock on your door, to verify.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been reading some of the good ones to my wife, now she want's to subscribe for the laughs.

Tony

Posts: 306 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wife tells me about every suspicious person or petty crime from next door. Now when I accidentally leave a door unlocked…it’s like we live in Detroit.

Posts: 199 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Give an address near you. I don't think they'll send anybody to knock on your door, to verify.

They use databases to verify registrations.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We live in a subdivision in a semi-rural area. A new neighbor got on ND to complain that we didn't have sidewalks, street lights and storm sewers. He actually was going to start an online petition to urge the county to install all three. After enduring a brutal viral beating over how ridiculous his suggestion was it was strongly suggested he consider relocating to a more urban setting closer to the big city.

I keep checking ND periodically because every now and then there is a comedic gem like this one was.

Posts: 417 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
quote:

They use databases to verify registrations.

Use a bogus name and your own address. It'll fly.

Or so I'm told... Wink

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just curious. Do they have ND for inner city neighborhoods??

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Yah. I think it's called "the Police Blotter". Big Grin

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:

Use a bogus name and your own address. It'll fly.

Or so I'm told... Wink

Mr Giggles MCShitz worked for me.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
There's a guy just down the street from me, I don't know him yet, but I really need to meet him.

He keeps posting about feeding the neighborhood bear, the bear's preference for pizza, giving the bear belly-rubs, and generally inciting the Karens.

It's getting hysterically funny.

Latest is a Karen imploring him not to feed the bear, lest the bear attack their children. The guy replied "this particular bear is a vegetarian, so your babies are safe." ROFLMFAO

That is damn funny.... a well needed laugh today. You should start posting you are also leaving him veggie treats and moonwater.

Bears love Moonwater

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
quote:
There's a guy just down the street from me, I don't know him yet, but I really need to meet him.

He keeps posting about feeding the neighborhood bear, the bear's preference for pizza, giving the bear belly-rubs, and generally inciting the Karens.

It's getting hysterically funny.

Latest is a Karen imploring him not to feed the bear, lest the bear attack their children. The guy replied "this particular bear is a vegetarian, so your babies are safe." ROFLMFAO

That is damn funny.... a well needed laugh today. You should start posting you are also leaving him veggie treats and moonwater.

Bears love Moonwater

Perhaps I have been to hasty in doubting the usefulness of ND. Big Grin

Posts: 1359 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I looked into it just now for curiosity's sake...

"Good news! You have the opportunity to be the Founding Member of your neighborhood.

"You’re the first one here! Are you ready to bring Nextdoor to your neighborhood?"

I can understand nobody else around here being on it. Most of my neighbors can't get online; their hooves make typing difficult.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Lacking an actual position as a moderator, I'd probably manage to get banned inside of ten posts.

Well, sounds like it’s time for a betting pool, and a stopwatch. Smile

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have moonwater in Kentucky, but it is commonly referred to as "Moonshine."

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Strange it is somewhat useful here if you can weed through the "have you seen fluffy" posts. I have belonged for a few years. Lots of lost pets, request for recommendations like for a good dentist, home repair, lawn mowing, teenagers looking for pick up summer work to make a few bucks. One lady offered 25 bucks to anyone with a truck to move a couch a few miles, she had the labor for the lifting. Someone had a car broke down and needed a ride to work. You get the idea.

There is one guy, a self made preacher of some kind, stay at home dad. His profile picture in one of those chin up ones like some thug from the hood. Wife is a social worker of some kind I think. He is always begging for crap including free car repairs or etc... most have learned to ignore him. He wanted any coolers you might have sitting around unused... he makes incubators out of them and sells them. But you don't have to bring them to him, he will come and get them. LOL!

Sometimes we get notice of a door to door salesman in the neighborhood or a suspicious car snooping around... thats cool. This summer two people warned they had utility trailers stolen in the same area just a couple days apart so I kept mine out of sight for a few weeks.

Then there is a for sale and free listings. Veggies shared from someones garden or someone has plants they have decided to to give away or swap. A lady up the street had a 5 gallon bucket of iris tubers set to the curb, first there gets them... please leave the bucket. Someone beat me to 'em!

BUT, Supposed to be mainly about security right? A digital neighborhood watch.
Well...

Remember when those Georgia inmates murdered two guards and escaped while being transferred by bus? They hijacked a car and they had a shootout with police on I-24 near Murfreesboro TN after having wrecked their car. Turns out they had expended their ammo so they took off on foot cross country and evaded the police but were captured, or surrendered, when confronted by a homeowner with a shotgun after he saw them coming up his driveway. He held them at gunpoint until the law arrived.

OK so... A Next-door member was listening to the whole thing on scanners but never posted anything until the NEXT DAY ! Mad They were headed roughly my direction and caught ~5 miles from my house!!! I had NO clue anything was going on until it was over! Mad

I replied to that guy and asked why the hell he didn't give us a heads up on ND that there was actually a serious threat in the general area while it was actually happening. I would have geared up and locked down! These guys were killers with nothing to loose... a serious threat! He said he it didn't occur to him until later. Roll Eyes

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:

This is my current favorite (from this morning):
"Someone was in my yard last night. Since last night was the full moon, I put out some moon water to get charged by the moons energy, I put the mason jar full of water outside almost on my back porch..." (I didn't read any more.)

This person is Wiccan. It's part of a religious ritual or in preparation for a religious/spiritual ritual.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ND is not for me. I do understand how it could be useful. I find out plenty just driving through the neighborhood, and looking at the online police reports.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:

I did. It wants my address …

And, unless it’s changed in the last couple of years, the default setting is that your address is visible to other users.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post