SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Removal of bird dropping from the car.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Removal of bird dropping from the car. Login/Join 
posted
No. I cannot cull them because I am in the city limits, and seagulls are protected. Normally a little elbow grease and some bug and tar removal takes it right off. Not tonite. It was a gigantic red and white glob on the side of the hood and the headlight lens. It could not have been there but a few minutes but the hood was hot. Took me a half hour of scrubbing with what I had available to get it off. Any suggestions?

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
If bug & tar remover won't take it off you may have to rub it out with a cleaner/polish compound. There are lots of decent ones out there but I usually turn to Maguiers.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5039 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use "Sprayway" glass cleaner for many things on my car and home. It is a cheap cleaner that comes in a can and can be bought pretty much anywhere. It is safe to use on window tint and I use it on a lot of other things,including bird droppings on my cars. It doesn't hurt the finish. Just spray it on and it will come out like a foam. Let it sit a couple minutes and wipe off.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Nothing seems to be as bad as brown pelican crap.

I was stationed on the USS Tarawa the late 1990s at 32nd St. Parked the Suburban in the p-lot at the end of the pier, under a light for security reasons.

Came back after 26 nights, pelican crap on the roof. No big deal, right? Just wash it off the next morning, right?

Thought that, did that. That crap ate through the clear coat and to the primer for some of the oldest stuff.

Seems that time of year with fog giving moisture and the kind of fish which were migrating through, pelican shit can be very acidic and the base insurance companies can get you a piss tested, through randomness (when you do the research and point out this fact).

Piss test will also happen six Mondays in a row. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
I have had good results with this stuff: https://www.autogeek.net/bird-dropping-remover.html

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
409. A couple of applications and some soak time does the trick

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
/Garage carport or car cover.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12627 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
If you don't wax your car I would. It can help get the paint good and removal of crap that lands on it.

Does this happen at your home? If so get a plastic owl, Amazon sells them. Hang is somewhere near where you park if you can. I once had a huge problem with bird crap. A large tree that covered many of the spaces I would park in would attract lots of birds. At times you could come out to 20 or more spots of bird crap on a car. Hung a fake owl. Stopped it all.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sadly happens at the office so a cover is not pracical. Damn tourists feed the things along with the two restaurants whose dumpsters are open at times. They like seafood but will also eat Japanese treats. Depending on the time of year, Canadian geese fly over my business.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I keep a bottle of waterless wash and a microfiber towel in my truck for bird bombs. It gets off the bird bomb with the caveat that its hours old not days old.

I already own McKee's N914 so mix 1 part 914 to 1 gallon of water, and have in a $4 spray bottle. An example of a readily available premixed options (choose one without waxes or sealants), Walmart sells Chemical Guys' waterless wash. Here is a video of the waterless wash being used to remove the bird crap:

If it's on there long enough, it'll etch the clear coat on the paint which will take polishing to get it out.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23248 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Wash the Car and clay it, get it clean and then coated with Ceramic, professionally will cost you, best to protect the paint and glass which keeps the bird shite from getting to the clear coat.

You can DIY it, easy way would be with 303 Graphene Nano Spray coating, this will give you the best protection. You can put that on paint, glass, plastic etc...

Cleaning, keep some sprayless wash in the trunk with microfiber towels, a big pack at costco isn't expensive.

303 Link

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good video Todd. The bird droppings I get are ten times bigger. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Could be worse....

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Followup question

I have used the microfiber towel to clean the droppings. How do I clean the towel? I sure am not putting it in the washer. Ideas??

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Followup question

I have used the microfiber towel to clean the droppings. How do I clean the towel? I sure am not putting it in the washer. Ideas??

Put it in the washing machine. Haven't you ever had your kids crap their pants or haven't you ever washed diapers?

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Followup question

Put it in the washing machine. Haven't you ever had your kids crap their pants or haven't you ever washed diapers?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
There is a difference as bird droppings carry diseases. My sister lost a lung to histoplasmosis. Birds and their droppings can carry over 60 diseases.

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Followup question

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
There is a difference as bird droppings carry diseases. My sister lost a lung to histoplasmosis. Birds and their droppings can carry over 60 diseases.

Yeah I know. Human feces can carry over 100, so what's the problem.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Mail them to Flash, LOL

Rinse them off in a sink, or with a hose, soak in some Clorox and soap, then wash them in the washer, or take them to a laundromat...

posted Hide Post
Flash I need your address

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Followup question

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Are there any documented cases from laundry? I suspect no. Car detailers use microfiber every day on bird dropping, and wash their microfiber. They wear disposible nitrile gloves for PPE.

If you don't like the idea of washing them, buy the throw away microfiber on rolls from Walmart:

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23248 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post