SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    People driving at night with their lights off
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

People driving at night with their lights off Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
My car is idiot proof. Lights come on when it gets dusk or if it senses rain on the windshield. It also has an indicator light on the dash board that confirms the lights are on. They also turn on in tunnels as well.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Tourists in rental cars here frequently mistake daytime running lights for headlights and cruise along with no tail lights. It just doesn’t occur to them that they may have overlooked something so they simply assume their rental has crappy headlights. They sometimes also assume that people trying to get their attention to explain the problem are serial killers.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Street Ninjas!

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P210:

Tourists in rental cars here
It's everywhere.

I can't count the number of times that I have come up behind a vehicle with no tail lights, on the interstate near here. Gets your attention, real quick!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I leave my headlights in the Auto position . I recently discovered that on a foggy morning , if the sun is up , there could be enough ambient light to keep the headlights from coming on . Assume nothing .

Posts: 4055 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
People drive at night without their headlights on because they're STUPID. That's all.

According to a cop friend that's usually the first indication that someone is driving under the influence. So, your observation still covers it I think.

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
People drive at night without their headlights on because they're STUPID. That's all.

According to a cop friend that's usually the first indication that someone is driving under the influence. So, your observation still covers it I think.
I got called to work one New Years Eve . I was sitting at the office waiting for my helper . I had the parking lights on . When he got there I pulled out and didn't realize that the headlights weren't on because it was very well lit around there . I made it three blocks before I saw the blue lights behind me . The Officer told me that was the quickest way to draw attention to myself .

Posts: 4055 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Some dash/instrument illumination lights are on any time the ignition and/or DRLs (daytime running lights) are on, even if the headlights are off. I got confused by this while driving my then-new 2005 Toyota Tacoma home from the dealership at twilight. But it didn't take me long to realize how its headlights worked.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Teenage me, back about 1971, pulled out of a local hang out and ripped my hopped up chevy through 1st and 2nd full bore, so to well over twice the speed limit... forgetting my headlights in the process.

Immediately got lit up by a city cop. Eek One of those where did he come from moments. He ask where I was going in such a hurry with no lights on.

I truthfully replied "Home"

He let me go, didn't even ask for my license, nothing other than... "Slow it down and get those lights on"

Unless he was headed in to go off shift??? I Still to this day wonder why I skated that time!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back when I was a kid in the late 60s early 70s we would go out on a moonlit night and run the county roads without headlights.
Beer was involved and God took care of some dumbazz kids !
I still get the urge when it's a moonlit night, but have matured, a little.

Posts: 368 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
I do think that the much greater level of ambient light. light pollution in towns, much less cities contributes to this. Sometimes I feel like we're living in Highlander 2 with the god-awful discolored night sky thanks to these sodium streetlamps. When the alternator went out on my car taking my prom date home back in the day I did notice that the headlights dimmed then died (as did the car). Today, I wouldn't have been able to notice because it's so bright on the roads in this city now.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
This happened to me not long ago. I took my Honda Passport into the Honda dealer for a recall. Later that night, I was driving through town and didn't notice my headlights were off. I always have the switch set to automatic. Well the service tech turned them off for the recall. It took me a while to notice since the daylight running lights are quite bright. I don't drink.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Some dash/instrument illumination lights are on any time the ignition and/or DRLs (daytime running lights) are on, even if the headlights are off.
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
Many new cars have the dashboard backlit at all times. Pair that with bright LED running lights and people cant figure out the lights are off.
These guys nailed it

Major culprit right here. If the dashboard didn't light up until the headlights were on most people would realize much sooner. It's especially bad near an airport with so many people in rental cars.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23248 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One day at a time
Picture of RANGER20
posted Hide Post
I hear ya... I had a friend die because some idiot didn't have their lights on. She was an innocent passenger in another car...
While that was 40 years ago... everytime is see someone who is driving without lights I think of her...

Posts: 5499 | Registered: August 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post