SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Overly talkative Checkout Clerks
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Overly talkative Checkout Clerks Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the_sandman_454:
self checkout machines which sometimes can't even manage to get through a couple of items without needing assistance from staff.
I enjoy going to Walmart as much as any of us do. Roll Eyes

Frequently when trying to use the self-checkout, more than half the items I try to process will result in the flashing light above the register, indicating that store assistance is needed. More than once, the store person has just taken over the task of scanning my items and keying in her ID code every time there is a problem.

Why do I use self-service? You ought to see the lines at the attended registers. One time I was there, two registers were actually open, out of a total of maybe two or three dozen checkout lanes.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30519 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Wonder if Walmart plans to start using the alternative checkout process some of their Samsclubs do? Using a free app on your smartphone, you take a picture of each item's barcode as you put it in your cart, it displays the item & associated price in the app, and when you get done with your shopping, you hit a couple of buttons to pay with a stored CC. Then they put a barcode receipt on your phone's screen which the outgoing door monitor scans to upload a readable receipt back to your phone and you're on your way. No chatting with anybody you don't want to, and no checkout lines to go through.

Must have looked a little shifty the first time I tried it, as one of the clerks came up to me until they could see my phone's screen as I bypassed the checkout lines with a full cart, but that hasn't happened since so I guess they're getting used to it. Might not be as practical with a couple hundred items, since that's a lot of barcode picture snapping, but my usual Samsclub trips don't typically involve a lot of items.

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Report This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I don't mind some friendly chat. At the stores I go to it doesn't low down the checkout process.

My bad experiences always involve other moron "customers" like the ones that say the sign for the gallon of Penzoil synthetic showed the price was $2.89 or that it is impossible that their credit card has been denied. Roll Eyes

Posts: 9729 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Report This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Badkarma 1:
My favorite is the ones who ask "Did you find everything you were looking for?"
My response is "I made it too the check out lane didn't I?, And have stuff for you the ring up right?" They usually nod and I say "Here's your sign!"
Dale

The store doesn't always have everything on my list, but that doesn't mean that I put the items that they did have back on the shelves. It's not exactly an "all or nothing" situation.

A couple of times, if the cashier seems like a good sport, I have jokingly said, "Why, did you hide some stuff from me?"

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Report This Post