SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    3 sick dogs
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

3 sick dogs Login/Join 
posted
Our dogs are outside dogs. They have food, shelter and are only taken into the barn in severe weather and the garage in even worse weather.

Our son picked us up at the airport last night. All 3 dogs started vomiting and diarrhea the other day. They go some Pepto in them but it didn't slow it down. They are at the Vet on I.V.'s and it's not looking good. Vet said next 12 hours will tell the story.

We are doing a search of the property to find out what they got into.

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hate to suggest this, but could it be a neighbor who's angry at you or the dogs? All three at the same time, in an area they've been using for some time, it may pay to be suspicious.

I hope they recover soon.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Do neighbors have a rat problem and are they close enough that if rat poison were used, the rats could make it to your dogs' area? (Just one poisoned rat is r required)

Or as noted above, maybe a neighbor intentionally did it?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no reason to suspect a neighbor.

We do suspect poison. The Vet's brother is an professor at the local community college. He has called and asked to bring his students from the forensic class out for a "live" final.

Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Could all three have gotten into some antifreeze in the barn? Animals are attracted to it. It's not a pleasant way to die for an animal.

I hope they all pull through.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
Could all three have gotten into some antifreeze in the barn? Animals are attracted to it. It's not a pleasant way to die for an animal.

I hope they all pull through.

They can't get to the barn. No anti freeze there anyway. They are locked up an about an fenced in acre. We found shreds of butcher paper in the bottom. We flagged all "piles" of vomit and fresh fecal matter we found.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Do neighbors have a rat problem and are they close enough that if rat poison were used, the rats could make it to your dogs' area? (Just one poisoned rat is r required)

Or as noted above, maybe a neighbor intentionally did it?

Rat poison is a possibility but not probable.

Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Just a guess not sure if even probable maybe bats or a snake. Hope they get well soon.

Posts: 1949 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Finding butcher paper would make me think someone is trying to get rid of something meat eating like Coyotes or other pests and your dogs got some.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
I lost 2 dogs with in days never did figure out what Happened. You and your Family Friends are in our thoughts and prayers

Posts: 1596 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
I hope they are all ok?

Posts: 3698 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
Butcher's paper sounds like some one threw some tainted or poison meat over the fence. I would think of who is pissed off at me or someone in the family these days. Years back we may have lost a dog to the same BS as Bell was healthy and then the next day she died at my feet. We never found anything in the field. She was 5 years old Great Pyrenees which some will have heart problems but I don't think she did. Just a thought, Chris.

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Your dogs are in my prayers

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Was someone trying to poison the coyotes maybe and your dogs got at the meat instead?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been an interesting day.

Local forensics class came out for a real life event. The searched the area and put evidence flags down on anything that looked interesting.

They started finding pieces of paper and meat in the creek along the back edge of the property. We called the neighbors and got permission to go onto their property to search further up stream. That lead to another property. They found a small chest freezer that someone had pushed off the road into a culvert. Full of rancid meat. Best bet is that it was stolen.

All 3 properties have dogs at the Vets, 3 different Vets.

They took samples of the meat. Cleaned up the rest and will have it incinerated.

Dogs appear to be on the mend. Vet said the mini wiener dog "was too damn mean to die". They will stay for a couple of days until everything works thru their system.

Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Good detective work by the class and good news on your pups. Smile

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Best hope and prayers for your dogs.

Am glad to hear it was not a deliberate act of poisoning.

Kudos to the forensics class for their work.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was talking to DNR. "Never seen anybody so happy to find a pile of vomit or shit". The three that found the source got an "A" for their final. While everyone was meandering about, they started following the creek. They went a couple of miles with a deputy in tow.

Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear they are doing better.

Our 3 wiener dogs wish your dogs the best!

Posts: 3698 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wishing a speedy recovery to your family members, cause that's essentially what they are. I'd be pretty messed up and pissed off if that happened to my dogs. We used to have mini weiners, they're on the other side of the rainbow bridge now. We have a German Shepherd and a Sheltie now. Good luck; I'll keep them in my prayers as well.

Posts: 132 | Location: PA | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post