SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Handy Mart / Exxon requires scanning your ID to buy beer
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Handy Mart / Exxon requires scanning your ID to buy beer Login/Join 
Picture of Speedbird
posted
Cashier says she is required to scan my ID [into some kind of database] in order to sell me beer. Now I'm well over 40. I say she can check it, but not scan it. No sale, she is required to scan it... nope, guess I'm drinking the hard stuff tonight. (Wonder if that is even legal? Can;t ask for IDs for vote or enter the country, but to sell an adult beer? WTF is this world coming to?)

Posts: 503 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Several years ago, the local Target store got new software for their registers. There was a way to override the requirement for Driver License to buy alcohol, but nobody in the store had received training on the new register operation, nobody knew how to access the override.

I was in my seventies at the time, but was unable to buy a bottle of wine at that store that day.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30674 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
The state of Utah does that. The State. Liquor and wine are only sold at state stores.

They claim it is proof that they verified the purchaser's age, to avoid any legal problems. I don't believe it. I bet they're making a database and probably selling the info, too.

My 92 year old mother from England doesn't have a US drivers license. They wouldn't accept her British license nor her passport. So I handed over my Utah dl. No problem, I'm over 60. But they wouldn't let her pay for it, nor even let me use her card.

Posts: 9451 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fly-Sig:

My 92 year old mother from England doesn't have a US drivers license. They wouldn't accept her British license nor her passport.
Bureaucratic stupidity has no limits.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30674 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will make a trade.
I will accept 100% ID check for alcohol sales if there is also a 100% ID check for voting.

Posts: 662 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
So on one hand, I get it. If it's your liquor license on the line, it protects you if you remove ANY. DISCRETION. AT. ALL from the idiots you sometimes have to hire, the idiots who don't have any skin in the game if you're hit with $15K in fines or a license revocation. Protect yourself from the idiots by forcing a check to complete the purchase.

"Whose ID do I scan? Everyone's. All the time. The register won't even let me complete the sale without it, even I wanted to. So, sorry."

But on the other hand, the fact that this level of CYA is needed to protect the licensee from the bureaucratic gun is... well, sad. I call bigger BS if it's the actual state ABC that's selling the liquor, places like (as Fly-Sig notes) Utah, or locally, Pennsylvania. They're not gonna fine themselves.

Posts: 2465 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Not no but HELL NO... The government has to much information already as it is... And private businesses have no right to it... If they are worried about employees not doing their job properly and legally then that is not my problem..... Have left products at the register / walked away/and went somewhere else and purchased my desired product................................. drill sgt.

Posts: 2008 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My local convenience store chain maverick does the same thing for alcohol or tobacco products

Posts: 3292 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many retailers have policies that we disagree with. I kind of doubt that Handy Mart is going to change that policy so your only other option is to shop elsewhere . Done deal .

Posts: 4058 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aint nobody going to scan my DL, there are way too many Identity Thief's out there. A Friend/Boss did a forward somersault off a second floor loft and someone at the hospital stole is Social Sec. number and then his tax refund. Six years later that refund is still in limbo and the police effort to track down the perp was a few extra donuts for when they pondered if it was worth investigating.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I hand them my retired military ID and tell them I don't drink and drive, anymore. Razz

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Not just them.
Wells Fargo (I know, I know Frown) wanted my ID when I was making a deposit, not taking any money with a pre-printed deposit slip and a check made out to my business on an account that I have had longer than the asshole clerk has been alive.
I said "NO" ... he had to get his supervisor and she processed the deposit.
Shheesh. Confused

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

Wells Fargo (I know, I know Frown) wanted my ID when I was making a deposit, not taking any money with a pre-printed deposit slip and a check made out to my business on an account that I have had longer than the asshole clerk has been alive.
I said "NO" ... he had to get his supervisor and she processed the deposit.
Shheesh. Confused
Yeah. I had several run-ins with Wells-Fargo over this issue. I once told them that taking money OUT of my account should require ID, but anybody who wanted to deposit should not be questioned, not even if it's a Zulu warrior dressed up in a pink bunny suit. On a different occasion, in a branch where I was not known, I told them that "the boss" had asked me to drop off a deposit on my way home, I had nothing to do with the account, and I was not going to give them any ID. They gave me some static, I dropped the check and deposit slip on the branch manger's desk and took a photo of it. Deposit showed up in the account the next day.

Wells-Fargo is in the run-off for the worst bank ever. Bank of America, Chase, and SunTrust (renamed to Truist), are the competitors.

Moved most of my banking business to Navy Federal Credit Union, and now it's mostly smiles instead of BP meds.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
For the miltary discount at Lowe's, up until recently you scanned a Lowe's card. Not any more - gotta enter your phone number and scan your drivers license. You can throw the card away. We're being tracked in so many ways you don't even realize it, and there's not much you can do about it other than go off grid.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:

For the miltary discount at Lowe's, up until recently you scanned a Lowe's card. Not any more - gotta enter your phone number and scan your drivers license. You can throw the card away. We're being tracked in so many ways you don't even realize it, and there's not much you can do about it other than go off grid.
I am not a fan of either Lowe's or Home Depot, but I prefer the Home Depot method. The screen at the checkout register shows a QR code. Scan it with your phone and the military / veteran discount is applied automatically.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I used to use a fake name with an email address I used for spam to use the discount program for my grocery store. Then I realized, it didn't matter if I used a fake name because they were still tracking my purchases and all I ever got was some spam mail that automatically went into the junk email folder anyway.

Now I just don't care if they track my purchases. I've got spam filters in email, ad blockers in my browser, the round file for junk mail and "Do Not Disturb" for spam calls. Since I can ignore all that, I never really get marketed to except in TV commercials and they aren't really targeted to me specifically.

Posts: 3383 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Don't know where you guys live but I have never been able to vote without showing official government I.D. and then they check and prove my home address.

Now I think it's been a 'few' years since someone asked me for ID when buying beer or such.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:

The Lowes by me has Not been able to scam my drivers license. NEVER. The clerks have tried to, have used post-it’s to cover etc. No joy. Funny, nobody has done anything to fix it.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Fred Myers in WA wants my drivers license to buy booze. I read the State liquor regulations and the next time showed them my military ID. Nope has to be my license. Why? “That’s what we’re told to do.
What if they were told to get on the boxcar?

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Last time at DeepHomo, I gave the old phone number for local time and temperature.

This is the same place that discouraged the use of cash by claiming a 'national shortage' of coins/small change during the lockdowns. No other merchant said that, and had not heard of this at all when I told them what DeepHomo was peddling.

Posts: 7257 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post