SIGforum
There’s only one I in the word ambidextrous. Adding a second one makes you look stupid.

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/3960066844

October 25, 2018, 11:27 PM
There’s only one I in the word ambidextrous. Adding a second one makes you look stupid.
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Guy:
I’ll play.

How about “fitment”?

“The fitment of the barrel and slide...”

No, it’s fit.

Whew.

Don't get me started on this one. It's got to be the worst case of complete misuse of a word. Not only is it used by members of various boards, but I see it often on business websites. Roll Eyes

Q

October 25, 2018, 11:31 PM
XLT
Porsche not porsh Wink Razz
October 26, 2018, 03:35 AM
OldMick
Nuc-u-lar is high on my list. I heard it yesterday on a news program.

For some reason I remember this from my younger years:

Pictures are "hung", people are "hanged"
October 26, 2018, 02:45 PM
sigcrazy7
quote:
Originally posted by OldMick:
Nuc-u-lar is high on my list. I heard it yesterday on a news program.

For some reason I remember this from my younger years:

Pictures are "hung", people are "hanged"

Some people are hung. Some people are even well hung. Wink

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus
October 26, 2018, 03:10 PM
Tomkat
I also hate it when people use bring and take, brought and took, come and go, came and went synonymously. They mean completely different things and speaking/writing them gives an indication to the listener/reader where the one providing the expression is located.

Back to my first post in this thread. If one is going to type "should of" or "could of" instead of should've and could've, why doesn't that same person type would unt instead of wouldn't or could unt instead of couldn't? I'm assuming the slept through only half of the class on the day they taught contractions.

October 27, 2018, 02:34 PM
TomS
Aluminium

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.
October 27, 2018, 03:12 PM
V-Tail
quote:
Originally posted by TomS:

Aluminium
Nothing wrong with that word. If you don't believe me, ask TacFoley!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
October 28, 2018, 12:07 PM
JALLEN
“I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way.” Mark Twain

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown
October 28, 2018, 09:26 PM
Tomkat
Oh, since we're all on a roll, there is no "x" in either especially or escape.

October 29, 2018, 09:28 AM
arfmel
Or expresso
October 29, 2018, 09:36 AM
PorterN
Written word is one thing - I can understand the need to spell shit correctly to avoid looking ignorant; but the incorrectly spoken word is different. While it can be annoying, if you know what he's trying to say and then the communication worked, and that's the base purpose of language.

If you're still upset, you can always leave a comment on all the ambidextrious gun part youtube videos.

November 02, 2018, 01:36 PM
Blaque Jacque Shellaque
OK, here is one that frosts my buttons because I know so many people the say it incorrectly: realtor. NOT relator
November 03, 2018, 06:41 PM
jack32586
schizophrenia....not skits-o-friendszia

"Merica"
November 04, 2018, 07:55 AM
ulsterman
"Lieberry". No, it's library.
November 04, 2018, 08:07 AM
.38supersig
You gots to be kiddin.

Ambi has a real meaning. It means right handed with both hands. The other one is sinister.

Aluminium is how they spelled it when it was first made. Guess they are the ones who got it wrong? Just ask King Tut.

Now fire up your nucular bulldozier and exscape to the lieberry in Illinois! Wink

November 04, 2018, 08:27 AM
mindustrial
No t in Alzheimer’s..... “alltimers”
November 04, 2018, 09:50 AM
RogueJSK
quote:
Originally posted by mindustrial:
No t in Alzheimer’s.....

The disease was named after a German doctor, Alois Alzheimer. In German, the letter "Z" is pronounced as "ts". (The closest analog in English would be something like the end of the word "cats".)

While most Americans will pronounce it like "Alls-hi-murr", the true pronunciation is more in line with "Alts-hi-mare".

So while you're correct that "Alltimers" is quite wrong, there is in fact a T (sound) in Alzheimer's. Wink

(Here endeth today's episode of Learnin' German with Rogue. Big Grin)
November 04, 2018, 10:03 AM
P220 Smudge
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Now fire up your nucular bulldozier and exscape to the lieberry in Illinois! Wink

Ok, that laugh was a good way to start the day. Thanks. Big Grin

November 04, 2018, 11:07 AM
BurtonRW
Carmel is a mountain in Israel or city in CA.
Caramel is a sugary treat.

Mrs.BurtonRW is bothered by ‘perscription’ and ‘comfterble’.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A
November 04, 2018, 11:31 AM
P220 Smudge
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
Carmel is a mountain in Israel or city in CA.
Caramel is a sugary treat.

Mrs.BurtonRW is bothered by ‘perscription’ and ‘comfterble’.

-Rob

And at that, Calvary and cavalry are very different things as well.