SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Ebay Vendor
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ebay Vendor Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
I saw an item that I was interested in, on eBay. The listing said "Make Offer."

I offered ten bucks, and stated plainly in the offer message that this was my TOTAL offer, INCLUDING shipping.

Received a message back, stating that the offer was accepted, along with a bill for $16.26.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30640 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
If the listing said that shipping was extra, your stating in the offer that the offer includes shipping will be ignored, as it appears to have been.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:

If the listing said that shipping was extra, your stating in the offer that the offer includes shipping will be ignored, as it appears to have been.
I have done this many times -- made an offer and specified that my offer includes shipping. Every time, with just one exception, that the seller has accepted my offer, the terms of the offer were honored. Every time, with the single exception of this one.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30640 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Okay, so this vendor wasn't as generous as the others were.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ask if they can read and understand English.

Posts: 1178 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

Okay, so this vendor wasn't as generous as the others were.
Gererous? Not asking for generosity. Just asking that the vendor actually READ my offer (which CLEARLY stated ten bucks total, including shipping).

Don't like the offer? Reject it. I have no problem with that. I'm used to rejection. Before I met my wife, I used to try to pick up girls, but that's a story for another day.

Want to accept the offer? Fine, but accept the actual offer that I made. Don't bill me for $16.26 when a ten dollar offer has been accepted.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
Well, on the upside, ebay's broken feedback system won't allow the seller to leave you negative feedback (unless something has changed).

Posts: 5158 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
If your offer was accepted almost immediately they may have set system to automatically accept offers at a certain level and never even have seen your text.

Next time try just reducing the offer to same total level INCLUDING the stated shipping. Which in this case would have been $3.74, which is pretty laughable unless you're buying a stick of gum.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12394 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:

If your offer was accepted almost immediately they may have set system to automatically accept offers at a certain level and never even have seen your text.

Next time try just reducing the offer to same total level INCLUDING the stated shipping. Which in this case would have been $3.74, which is pretty laughable unless you're buying a stick of gum.
I'm not a real big eBay user, it's sort of a last resort for me, so I did not know that the seller could set an "auto accept" to move forward without reading the text that I wrote as part of the offer. First time that has happened to me.

Actually, $3.74 plus $6.26 shipping for a total of ten bucks is not outrageous for this item. It's just a baseball cap with "Navy Veteran" embroidery. Amazon has some for eleven bucks and change, shipping included. Why not buy from Amazon? Well, I sort of liked the looks of the particular one on eBay.

Not the end of the world that the seller won't honor an offer that she accepted, just irritating that she would accept the ten dollar offer and then add another six bucks.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:

It could have been an automated offer, or just the seller not noticing your message with a quick glance at the offer.

When I do a Best Offer where I want the shipping included as part of the total, I do just as the poster above suggests, and usually put "$20 shipped" as a message (for an item that was, say, originally $25, but I offered $15 w/ the understood $5 shipping)...that way there's no automated override or miscommunication, and communicates to the seller that I chose that $20 offer for a reason and have a firm red-line for that particular OTD total, and am not interested in dickering.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

I have done this many times -- made an offer and specified that my offer includes shipping. Every time, with just one exception, that the seller has accepted my offer, the terms of the offer were honored. Every time, with the single exception of this one.

Or just subtract shipping from your offer.

Posts: 22891 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by at-home-daddy:

When I do a Best Offer where I want the shipping included as part of the total, I do just as the poster above suggests, and usually put "$20 shipped" as a message.
That is exactly what I did. The message said "Ten dollars TOTAL, shipping INCLUDED."

With the significant words in all caps, just as shown. I have no idea how I could have made my intentions any clearer.

As I said, I have done this quite a few times on eBay, made an offer for a total price including shipping. Never had a problem until this. This seller is the only one who pretended not to understand.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by at-home-daddy:

When I do a Best Offer where I want the shipping included as part of the total, I do just as the poster above suggests, and usually put "$20 shipped" as a message.
That is exactly what I did. The message said "Ten dollars TOTAL, shipping INCLUDED."

With the significant words in all caps, just as shown. I have no idea how I could have made my intentions any clearer.

As I said, I have done this quite a few times on eBay, made an offer for a total price including shipping. Never had a problem until this. This seller is the only one who pretended not to understand.

Sorry, I wasn't too clear on that...that "$20 shipped" message was separate from a $15 offer I would make on a $25 book (that later included/incorporated a $5 shipping). The "$20 shipped" message is just to emphasize my official $15 offer (that excludes shipping) as one that in my head includes the shipping and is not negotiable...but it is not the offer itself.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Unless it's very reasonable shipping, which it usually isn't, I deduct it from my offer. Plenty of sellers think they can charge crazy shipping to offset the commission eBay takes. That changed many years ago. I wanted a heavy amp two yrs. ago that was something like $250 shipping from SoCal to AZ. I tracked the guy down outside of eBay and we made a deal that I paid him in cash what he would have netted from the deal and then we each drove 150 miles to do it in person to avoid shipping, and I avoided sales tax. I just sold that amp this week for a $500 profit and shipped it today.

I made a lowball offer on a guitar last weekend that I was so sure would be automatically declined. Free shipping was listed. No reply for about 10 hours. Then the "You got it!" flashed on my phone screen. I could not believe it. I was hoping the super lowball would save me from myself, but it did not.

Posts: 3513 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I’ve been trying to get a Katzskin leather seat upholstery kit for my Wrangler,Chrysler has had them on back order for some time. Friend is the parts manager so I was able to get a good price.

Found a kit on eBay, $777 and some change with free shipping. About $55 bucks higher than through the dealer but the seller mopar4you showed that they had three sets on hand so I jumped.

This was Monday. I’ve been watching for shipping information and today, three days later I get a message my order was cancelled, reason, buyer requested to cancel. Unfortunately I did not cancel, they cancelled it and reported to eBay that I requested it.

So back to the dealer,,she’s trying to find a dealership that has a set and willing to sell and ship them. I tried to leave feedback,seems I cannot because the sale was not completed.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8096 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I'm not a real big eBay user, it's sort of a last resort for me, so I did not know that the seller could set an "auto accept" to move forward without reading the text that I wrote as part of the offer. First time that has happened to me.

Actually, $3.74 plus $6.26 shipping for a total of ten bucks is not outrageous for this item. It's just a baseball cap with "Navy Veteran" embroidery. Amazon has some for eleven bucks and change, shipping included. Why not buy from Amazon? Well, I sort of liked the looks of the particular one on eBay.

Not the end of the world that the seller won't honor an offer that she accepted, just irritating that she would accept the ten dollar offer and then add another six bucks.

[Thread Drift]That's a pretty big bill on that hat. Reminds me of the hats that Central Services wore in the movie "Brazil."[/Thread Drift]

Posts: 2932 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Just remember going forward that shipping WILL be added on and adjust your offer to reflect where you want to be for a total price.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Just cancel the order and state why.
No big deal.

Posts: 9491 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:

Just cancel the order and state why. No big deal.
No need for me to cancel the order. The seller did that when I reminded her that my offer was for a TOTAL of ten bucks, shipping INCLUDED.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:

That's a pretty big bill on that hat. Reminds me of the hats that Central Services wore in the movie "Brazil."
I can't be sure, but it looks to me like the type of distortion that results from taking a photo close up with a wide-angle lens.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים