Home Depot forces shelf check out then employee watch you like a hawk

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/3910008784

April 25, 2024, 06:33 PM
wrightd
Home Depot forces shelf check out then employee watch you like a hawk
quote:
Originally posted by sandman76:
Shrink at Home Depot is 2 Billion a year. They actually need to do more to stop it. It's not all theft but there is plenty that is.

I've had more than one HD/Lowes clerk tell me that losses from theft are very high, so much so that they said it was stupid for the company not to try to stop it. Lots of thieves in the ranks of the general population. As an aside, my personal theory is these are the SAME people who fail to return a wallet or purse stuffed with cash to its owner, keep incorrect change given to them by mistake, and worst of all, flee after accidentally running over someone in their vehicle.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster
April 25, 2024, 09:22 PM
Pipe Smoker
I get a chuckle from the thread title:

“Home Depot forces shelf check out then employee watch you like a hawk”

Serious about crackers
April 26, 2024, 12:07 PM
UTsig
I have no problem with my HD. I push my cart up and ask the lady to key me for Veteran discount, she always thanks me for my service. If I've got heavy items she'll ask if I'd like assistance. My wife is there a lot more than me, garden stuff, and feels the same way.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.
April 26, 2024, 05:49 PM
pedropcola
You can watch me all you want, what you can't do it stop me at the door and go over my receipt. I am nice about it but I am not stopping as I walk out the door for you to double check me. I will let you do it at Sams Club because I agreed to your rules when I joined. Anywhere else, if you think I stole something then call the cops and hope you are right.
April 27, 2024, 06:07 PM
bendable
I wonder if really really wealthy people ever walk up to the self checkout with their $350.00 sink , hand the watchers $300.00 and just wait for them to git'er done

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
April 27, 2024, 08:36 PM
Edmond
I like using self checkout as I don't shop for much stuff. To me, my time is more valuable than some shitty idea of "it's not my job to check myself out..." I'd rather waste my time doing something I enjoy than standing in line.

April 28, 2024, 12:24 AM
PASig
My local Walmart is now doing the whole Costco-style “I need to see your receipt” routine on the way out to almost everyone now. In the past it was very random or not at all but they must have a big shoplifting problem because now that’s being done and even more stuff is now locked up.

May 21, 2024, 05:55 PM
4MUL8R
Just bought $41 of wire. Clerk had to unlock the cage, grab the wire, walk the item out with me. Couldn't let me take it. I might run out the store with it, don't you know. 62 years young and a police volunteer and not trusted.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...
May 22, 2024, 08:07 AM
Pipe Smoker
^^^^^
Copper wire? If so, that’s not surprising. Thieves are breaking into buildings nowadays to steal copper wires in the walls.

Serious about crackers
May 22, 2024, 08:08 AM
Georgeair
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
My local Walmart is now doing the whole Costco-style “I need to see your receipt” routine on the way out to almost everyone now. In the past it was very random or not at all but they must have a big shoplifting problem because now that’s being done and even more stuff is now locked up.

Costco can because it's a condition of membership. Wal-Mart can ask but not demand it.
I'm not going to create a federal case out of it, but the last time that happened I just nodded back in general direction of self-checkout and said "She did as she was helping me out."

Doesn't matter if it's true....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

May 22, 2024, 08:48 AM
SpinZone
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Costco can because it's a condition of membership. Wal-Mart can ask but not demand it.
I'm not going to create a federal case out of it, but the last time that happened I just nodded back in general direction of self-checkout and said "She did as she was helping me out."

Doesn't matter if it's true....

They do this occasionally here. I just smile and politely say "no thanks, I’m good" and keep on going.
I try to remember that they are just doing what they were told to do.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

May 22, 2024, 10:28 AM
UTsig
I do not go to my HD that often but the self checkout always has gone smoothly. Same lady last couple of times, inputs my veterans discount, thanks me.

The local Walmart is OK, my wife does a monthly run and has been happy to get a cashier the last couple of times. Nobody goes to them, everyone chooses self checkout.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.