SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Can you buy too many guns?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can you buy too many guns? Login/Join 
posted
Apparently you can at Academy Sports and Outdoors (and they will cut you off if you do).

Last year I bought several Shield Plus's at Academy along with several other brands and models of handguns. Some of the Shields I gifted to family members (perfectly legal) and some I kept for myself. Some I sold or traded and changed my mind and bought another one later. Academy is the only real gun store in my small town and with their sale prices and Academy credit card discounts I can get pretty good deals.

Recently I had ordered online a CZ 75D PCR, and when it came in I went through the usual process of filling out the 4473 and showing my concealed weapons permit to avoid the NICS phone call. After all that, the sales rep looks at his computer and says "Academy doesn't feel comfortable selling you this gun". Well, needless to say we had to undo the purchase.

I have owned both a Type 01 and Type 03 FFL so I know the rules. Knowing that there were no laws broken or BATF rules violated I wrote a formal letter to Academy corporate asking for a justification for their action. I got a phone call on a weekend from a "compliance officer" telling me that Academy will no longer sell me a gun since I bought too many of the same gun (Shield Plus). I asked for their response in writing but never received one. I wrote another formal letter to Academy corporate, asking again for a formal response with negative results to date.

The only BATF rule on multiple purchases is a requirement for the licensed seller to submit an ATF Form 3310.4 when two or more guns are purchased within a five working day period. Only one of my purchases met that criteria when I purchased two Shields at the same time (one for my house and one for my car as I explained to the Academy sales person).

Needless to say, I no longer shop at Academy for anything.

Posts: 288 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by les45:
Apparently you can at Academy Sports and Outdoors (and they will cut you off if you do).

Well, that's disappointing.

God bless America.

Posts: 13824 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
Looks like they are adopting a Dick's sporting goods business model!!!

Posts: 7863 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised these assholes haven't notified the FATF, already, "Hey, this guy has been buying too many guns". Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 27447 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A big chain in MN got hammered with a suit from the AG over straw purchases including several that showed up at crime scenes. I think they've adopted a similar strategy, although I don't know what the magic number is.

Posts: 9019 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by les45:
I bought too many of the same gun (Shield Plus)

That sounds more specific than just overall quantity of firearms you bought.

I wonder whether this could be more about channel conflict policies (either Academy's own policies, or restrictions put on them by manufacturers or distributors) rather than concern with BATF issues?

Posts: 15137 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
You have to do extra 4473 paperwork if you buy too many at once. A store cutting you off is just their dumb policy, no law stopping you.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27119 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I buy one gun a year since I turned 21, that would be, let's see, 43 guns. Nope, I need 43 more.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Corporate lawyers playing CYA.

Sadly I can almost understand it these days. But the next step is not selling them at all.

Posts: 21325 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Academy doesn't feel comfortable selling you this gun."

Are you certain that Academy made this decision and it was not the person at the gun counter acting on their own initiative as the filter? Frankly, buying many multiple copies of a relatively inexpensive gun at the same time would raise a red flag with a lot of dealers (including our own shop), especially if the counter person doing the looking wasn't a part of that original transaction process.

Moreover, if that inevitable ATF form 3310.4 and its addendum (dependent upon just how many guns were part of that transaction) that your original transaction generated raised some eyebrows back at ATF, and that 3-letter agency subsequently contacted this store to inquire about that transaction, yeah I can easily imagine that they would now be more than a little 'uncomfortable' about conducting any further business with you. No one likes getting unwanted attention from ATF, not dealers or gun buyers.

-MG

Posts: 2188 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
quote:
"Academy doesn't feel comfortable selling you this gun."

Are you certain that Academy made this decision and it was not the person at the gun counter acting on their own initiative as the filter? Frankly, buying many multiple copies of a relatively inexpensive gun at the same time would raise a red flag with a lot of dealers (including our own shop), especially if the counter person doing the looking wasn't a part of that original transaction process.

Moreover, if that inevitable ATF form 3310.4 and its addendum (dependent upon just how many guns were part of that transaction) that your original transaction generated raised some eyebrows back at ATF, and that 3-letter agency subsequently contacted this store to inquire about that transaction, yeah I can easily imagine that they would now be more than a little 'uncomfortable' about conducting any further business with you. No one likes getting unwanted attention from ATF, not dealers or gun buyers.

I only did one buy that would have required a 3310.4 and that was for two guns at the same time. All the others were spread out over a year or more. And it was Academy corporate that shut me off and not the local guys. I guess the thing that pisses me off the most about this whole deal is that Academy will not respond in writing to my two letters to explain their position and why they did what they did. I've slowed down on my gun buying anyway so whether I buy another gun from them is immaterial to me. Lately I've gotten my best deals from Armslist preferred vendors who do not charge sales tax or credit card fees.

Posts: 288 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Rural King locally has a policy to run a NICS check whether you have a permit or not. The law says they don't need to, but corporate covers itself. So, I don't shop RKGuns anymore.

Posts: 17245 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you deal with the same employee most of the time or just whomever happens to be standing around?

And I wonder if that should make a difference.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55139 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Do you deal with the same employee most of the time or just whomever happens to be standing around?

And I wonder if that should make a difference.

I dealt with three or four different sales reps over the years. It wasn't the local people who did this as they didn't understand what was going on either. They said they had never seen Academy corporate reject a gun sale. It was probably some algorithm in their system but they refuse to tell me in writing the real basis for their decision not to sell.

posted Hide Post
I'm sitting on a federal grand jury and we heard a straw purchase case and one of the red flags that stood out to me was one person buying several of the same gun, like 4 or 5 Glock 19's at one time. If its a red flag to me its probably a red flag to Academy. Since out of control liberal democrats want to sue gun manufacturers or gunshops despite the fact they follow federal/state laws regarding firearms Academy is probably just trying to protect themselves. Not saying i agree with what they're doing.

Posts: 1695 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder:
You have to do extra 4473 paperwork if you buy too many at once. A store cutting you off is just their dumb policy, no law stopping you.

you , as in the buyer?

teh buyer does no extra paperwork for buying one or one hundred firearms unless there is a sate specific limit w/ exemptions (VA for example has a one handgun a month law, with lots of exemptions)

the dealer, in this case Academy) does have to do the mentioned 3310,

which, if they are using laptops or pads to do the paperwork, is almost completely automatic,

bass/cabelas has a program that recognizes trends, and will either ask you (or prompt the sales clerk) to ask you to apply for a Credit Card,
or a flag that it may be a potential straw purchase, which can be overridden by a manager,

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10548 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put a limit on myself many years ago.

One trip to the car is my limit on guns, no more.

So maybe
Two rifles, two shot guns and two or three pistols.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55139 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I adopted the same rule...

...And then I bought one of those folding cart things.

Help with my medical fundraiser at https://fundrazr.com/d2PmG0?ref=ab_8BFKzc.

Posts: 2148 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post