SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Nothing lasts anymore.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nothing lasts anymore. Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Only got 11 years out of the OEM battery on the Tundra.

$250 for a replacement left me a tad breathless, but as the truck doesn't quite have 69K miles on it yet and will likely last until the kids take my license away, I guess it's a good investment.

The truck has been maintenance free outside of consumables like tires and brakes.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15274 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Only got 11 years out of the OEM battery

Hmm. I've NEVER had a battery last that long, even in a light-use vehicle.

-MG

Posts: 2014 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
lol..thats amazing for a oem battery

Posts: 7806 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Both of the OEM batteries in my 2012 Powerstroke finally crapped out last year. That set me back a buck or two.

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just replaced the original battery on a 2013 Equinox. When he asked what kind I wanted, I told him the same one that's there now.

He says, "Oh, they don't make that anymore."

I said, "Of course not. How are you supposed to sell me a new one every 2 years."

Posts: 656 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
"Only"... Big Grin

11 years is about double the usual lifespan for a vehicle battery!

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I think he's messing with us Big Grin

OP, you are messing with us...right? Normally 3-4, maybe 5 years is what you can expect out of a battery.

Posts: 33882 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
That's pretty amazing, did you keep it on a tender?

Posts: 5350 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
That's pretty amazing, did you keep it on a tender?

Nope. Didn't drive it all that much either (obviously, <69Kmiles in 11 years).

I've always had excellent luck with OEM batteries, and I've never had a replacement last more than 3-4 years. Hoping the AGM will break that record.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15274 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I worked in the lead-acid automotive battery industry for about 15 years. In plants owned by Gates Rubber, Optima, and Johnson Controls (think Interstate Batteries). All batteries have an expected useful life. A lead-acid battery's life is determined by many factors.
- The more lead and the more acid in a battery, the longer its life.
- Repeated charging and discharging cycles reduce its life. The deeper the cycles, the more the life reduction. Batteries last longer when they are maintained in a state of high charge.

- Electrolyte evaporation rapidly reduces life. Sealed AGM batteries almost always last longer than traditional electrolyte flooded batteries.
- High temperatures rapidly reduce the life of lead-acid batteries. Batteries that are housed in the engine bay, that absorb heat from the engine, that have no outside cooling airflow -- won't last long.

- The high temps of the southern climates reduce battery life faster than the low temps of northern climates. High temps reduce battery capacity, but we normally don't see this as a problem until cold weather arrives. The physics/chemistry of batteries is that they produce less current in lower temps. So...a battery that has compromised capacity, often won't turn over an engine in cold weather -- when low temps compromise current flow even more.
- When the manufacturer uses lead and sulfuric acid with fewer impurities, the longer the battery performs. The battery also gasses less, meaning that it doesn't lose electrolyte as fast as a battery with lower quality lead and acid. Sealed AGM batteries, by their very design, must have higher purity lead and acid.

- A car battery will last a long longer in a temperate climate such as Seattle will last many more years than one in Las Vegas.

Posts: 7891 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

7 years from my Toyota Tacoma OEM battery. I did replace it proactively, not waiting for it to fail. Now in the 7th year with the Odyssey AGM replacement. I keep the truck in the garage when not driving it, and plug in a maintainer if not going to be driving for more than 3-4 days.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10793 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here in hot S.W. Florida a car battery is good for 3 years. I don’t want to be left stranded with a dead battery so I just date them with a paint pen and switch them out on the 3 year mark.

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ranger41
posted Hide Post
The original battery in my 2017 Tundra didn't last six weeks, but the warranty replacement is still going strong.

"The world is too dangerous to live in-not because of the people who do evil, but because of the people who sit and let it happen." (Albert Einstein)

Posts: 958 | Location: Rural Virginia - USA | Registered: May 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Heck last night the battery on my wife’s Explorer Napa Legend Professional completely died, it was less than two years old. No warning signs, just completely crapped the bed. Luckily, it was covered under warranty and a trip to the Napa store this morning had me walking out with a brand new battery. I guess we live in a disposable world!

Posts: 2971 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Just replaced the CarQuest battery in my wife's Mazda yesterday. It was dated early 2018, so we got 6 years out of it. I didn't think that was too bad. The NAPA replacement I put in it was $206 Frown.

Posts: 8665 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
Just replaced a 4 year old (just past the warranty) AGM battery in the Miata. It's about the size of a garden tractor battery and has venting on it because it sits in the trunk. Because it's an odd size, Costco doesn't carry them. I was shocked to find one for $180. Hoping this one lasts longer.

Posts: 1807 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why are there no dash gauges to warn of a low battery?

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Recently replaced the orginal battery in our 2013 Sonata..... Believe some if not all of the car manufactures are in cahoots with battery manufactures as well as others because we no longer have some of the old school "Manual" gauges to show actual real time battery charging / oil pressure / engine temperature. ..... If lucky you might have a "Idiot Light" showing status.... Mostly all electronic dashes that no one pays attention to till it is too late. .................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2024 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
The one in my Dodge truck is still going strong since 2012.

I drained it a few times when installing U-Connect and HID fog lights, but seems it may have a few more years to go.

Posts: 9169 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Paul, NAVAIR says SLABs shall be replaced every 24 months.

You scared . Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14041 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post