SIGforum
Arthritis

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/3840046974

February 15, 2021, 04:32 AM
sybo
Arthritis
Getting old SUCKS, I mean it sucks balls. I have made a living using my hands my entire life, and now I am dealing with a whole heap of crap. Arthritis has crept in and is for real. I think cutting out Milk products helps. Anyone else have some tips, this really sucks fellas.... I will be 64 this year Mad

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,
February 15, 2021, 06:05 AM
Anush
A steady diet of 3 Aleve's a day. 1 when I get up, another after breakfast, & a 3rd about 6pm. I usually buy the Costco or Walmart version.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch
February 15, 2021, 06:55 AM
henryaz

Trigger finger is a form of arthritis, and I am plagued with that in both hands, middle finger in both. I wear splints while sleeping, would much rather that than multiple injections and surgeries. I also worked with my hands, but only for 25 years. Now 74, and getting up in the morning sucks.

When in doubt, mumble
February 15, 2021, 07:09 AM
mark123
The wife and I tried grape seed extract pills and they seemed to help. We weren't sure if they were helping so we stopped for a week and felt awful.

When we started the ketogenic diet the arthritis in my feet went away. We eventually stopped the grape seed pills as they seemed redundant at that point. Quitting didn't affect us this time.
February 15, 2021, 09:10 AM
RogueJSK
Doesn't just happen to the old guys. I'm not nearly "old" (late 30s), but have to deal with arthritis in my knees, thanks to too many years of being a big guy in a physically active profession who also played sports and worked out a lot.

Cold weather makes my knees ache, as do incoming storms. So the current historically cold and abnormally large/powerful winter storm we're experiencing means my knees have been killing me lately, especially when laying in bed at night.

I've found that Voltaren, a topical NSAID that you rub directly onto the joints that hurt, works better and faster than simply swallowing pills. It used to be prescription, but now it's available over the counter starting last year.
February 15, 2021, 09:55 AM
Flash-LB
Doesn't happen to all old people either, thank God.

Neither Mrs. Flash nor I have Arthritis.

I do feel sorry for those who do however.
February 15, 2021, 11:54 AM
Fredward
I'll try Voltaren, thanks. I can't take NSAIDS orally. Right now I'm wearing wrist and ankle elastic braces.
February 15, 2021, 12:47 PM
arfmel
Avoiding red meat seems to help me
February 15, 2021, 03:09 PM
birddog1
I’m 55 and it’s really hit me hard this last year. Right thumb, middle finger and wrist and left wrist. I’m on a prescription Meloxicam but it doesn’t seem to do much.
February 15, 2021, 05:26 PM
.38supersig
Please refrain from putting profanity in your thread titles... and that includes stuff like "f&$k" or m0%$#*&^@r".

February 15, 2021, 06:23 PM
Joe 5632
I too suffer from arthritis. Had trigger fingers on both hands, index an middle fingers. Surgery cured that. I’ve found nothing that works on the arthritis. My wrists, knuckles, neck, shoulders, back and toes. At one point I was taking 2,400 mg of ibuprofen a day, didn’t work. Then 800 mg naproxen, nope. Tramadol, nope. Just holding my iPad and typing my hands are screaming. Arthritis and shingles, the two things I wouldn’t wish on anyone.
February 15, 2021, 09:29 PM
dynorat
I started taking the bone health magnesium-calcium-zinc tablets to prevent leg cramps, and found my finger and hand pains improved significantly. The pain returns when I forget to take some daily, and improves when I resume.

February 15, 2021, 11:24 PM
Nuclear
Someone here on the forum suggested tart cherry extract, and it helps a lot.

NSAIDs help too, but can do bad things to your stomach lining long term.

Voltaren helps, but you have to use it regularly.

I found (by accident) that sulfa drugs eliminated the pain for me, but the docs won’t let me take it long term.
February 16, 2021, 02:32 PM
HKg3
I have Psoriatic Arthritis (PA) and take methotrexate weekly and Humira every other week. I also supplement with naproxen and aspirin to take the edge off the pain.

Some days the pain can be debilitating if my medicine schedule gets disrupted. I have to keep an emergency pack of prednisone for flares.

Chronic inflammatory conditions really suck. Add Charcot Marie Tooth Disease, a degenerative neuropathy and you get nerve pain to round out the fun.

Best of luck to everyone who suffers from chronic pain.

Mike (Molecular Biologist and Immunologist)

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin
February 16, 2021, 02:42 PM
parabellum
Subject line
February 16, 2021, 03:53 PM
Scooter123
Another sufferer. Radial Head both wrists and first two joints both thumbs. Also have Trigger Finger in the Left Middle Finger. Signing my paycheck has become rather painful. There was also a PET Scan that indicated "early Arthritic changes in both hips", the Doctors seem to have nothing but bad news for us old farts. Also have Heart Disease and due to that the only daily painkiller allowed is one single 325mg Aspirin tablet. When it's really bad I can take one Alieve tablet but that is permitted for one one single dose. I can already see the handwriting on the wall, I'll be needing some joint replacements in the coming years. BTW did some checking and joints in the hands and wrists can be replaced.

Something that really peeves me is that Stem Cell Therapy has proven to be 70% effective in treating Arthritis but the FDA will only approve it for use in the knees (and maybe hips). Because it's not approved for use on the hands and wrists there is zero insurance coverage for that treatment. As a result if you want to try Stem Cell Therapy on the hands it's about 15K per joint.

I've stopped counting.
February 17, 2021, 04:19 PM
Butch 2340
Yes it is. I have Arthritis in my bottom four vertebrae.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

February 17, 2021, 07:00 PM
1s1k
I have it pretty bad from breaking my back and a multitude of other bones. For me Kratom has been a godsend. You might have to experiment with a few different types but it is cheap and super effective for me.
February 17, 2021, 07:06 PM
RogueJSK
Check your local laws first. Kratom is illegal in a number of states.
February 17, 2021, 07:16 PM
john crusher
Neck, knees, hands and of course back.
I take D,C,B,E Multivitamin and Blue EMU for my paws.
I'm started wrenching @ 12 and am 66 and still at it.
I also do stretching and squeeze a stress ball and that helps the digits.
You've got to be tough to get old !