SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    High-Risk Wife has COVID...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

High-Risk Wife has COVID... Login/Join 
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted
The spousal unit just got a call from her doc telling her she has COVID, and because she is high-risk, she needs to get the monoclonal antibody treatment ASAP. There are plenty of places around here that offer it, only it isn't available any time soon! The Alabama Dept of Public Health is only sending 6 treatments per week to each clinic, and therefore the waiting list is long... so long she will probably either be over it or be in the hospital by the time her number comes up!

This shit really sucks!!!

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Check your email.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43884 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that. Is it possible to find it and receive the treatment by traveling to a nearby state?

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Schedule the mAB treatment now. The window is 7-10 days.

My wife is also high-risk. We dithered and just barely made the window.

Here's the thing about mAB treatment: It works for some, does little-to-nothing for others, and has negative effects on still others. My wife fell into the "didn't do much, if anything" category. Then again: She received it at the very end of the ten-day window.

I can hunt-down a post the treatment regimen recommended by the America's Front Line Doctors doctor with whom we worked, if you like, and the other measures we took.

I got over it fairly easily. My wife was touch-and-go for a while. (I was seriously concerned I was going to lose her.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
You and your wife have my prayers.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's easier said than done. And traveling to MS won't help.

I've got one of the docs I work for whose wife is positive trying to find some, any, in Jackson or any surrounding areas. No such luck. He's the opposite of a passive dude so his ongoing search is both thorough and, well, intense.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:

That's easier said than done.

Don't we know it!

When it was recommended for my wife we went right to it. Here's what we found:

• The health care system to which our primary care docs belong simply don't do it
  • Nearly all the health care systems that did limited their treatment to existing patients in their systems
  • The few that did it, but didn't limit it to their own patients, required a referral. Both our docs had chosen to take that week off at the same time

Finally, after giving up for a day or two, and my wife's condition growing worse, we tried again. Finally we found a hospital that was doing it, didn't require you be an existing patient of that system, and didn't require a referral.

Earliest they could schedule her was literally at the 11th hour (11 p.m.) of the last day of her window.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsmccull:
Sorry to hear that. Is it possible to find it and receive the treatment by traveling to a nearby state?

Looking into that option now...

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Part of our issue, especially with this 10-day "window", is that she's not sure when she actually got it!

She has been sick since January 8th, and went to the doctor the first time a week ago this past Wednesday. She was diagnosed with bronchitis, given drugs and sent home. At that visit she tested negative for COVID. A week later (this past Wednesday) she was worse instead of better, so went back to the doc. She was tested again, but the doc said she didn't think it was COVID but she definitely had pneumonia now, and was treated for that and sent home... even though the doc really wanted to send her to the hospital. She declined that option because she is unemployed and has no insurance.

Just shy of 48 hours later (early this morning around 07:30) is when she got the call regarding her positive test result. So was the first test a false negative, or did she pick it up on that doctor visit from somebody else who had it? She really hasn't been anywhere else to come in contact with it, so we don't really know when it started; she may already BE past the 10-day window; no way to know for sure!

posted Hide Post
My understanding is that if she has Omicron Monoclonal Antibodies do not help. In my mind her pneumonia should be the biggest concern. I assume they told you what signs to look for with a worsening pneumonia.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pneumonia kicked my butt to the point I thought I might not make it. Mis-diagnosed as Flu! So her having it is a real concern. Best wishes for her full recovery.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16091 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Front Line COVID-19 Critical Care Alliance

https://covid19criticalcare.co...d-19-care-providers/

If you're open to Ivermectin treatment, this FLCCC Provider is in your neck of the woods:

Amanda Mitchell, MSPAC, PA-C
Push Health
Fort Payne, AL

https://www.pushhealth.com/pra...#.YTlEePnoHsk.mailto

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8887 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Keep her lungs open, bronchodilators, spirometers, magnesium and moving, treat the pneumonia to keep the lungs open and working as well as they can with the insult from pneumonia. A friends wife got both pneumonia and Covid together, treatment was antibiotics, albuterol and atrovent, magnesium, zinc and vitamins. She was high risk and pulled through, kept her lungs working didn’t rest and used blow tube spirometer to keep lungs open.

Posts: 2775 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Just moments after my last post, we got a call from a clinic in a neighboring town telling us they just got some doses of the antibody therapy in, and they could treat Dayna this afternoon if we came right away… so naturally we did! Four quick shots (2 in the stomach and 1 in each arm) and we were on our way! The nurse practitioner who administered the treatment said she had COVID recently and took the therapy, and 2 days later couldn't tell she had ever been sick. She reported most of the patients she has treated so far had the same story to tell... 2 to 3 days and almost back to normal.

Thanks for all of the info, support, and prayers!

34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
My understanding is that if she has Omicron Monoclonal Antibodies do not help. In my mind her pneumonia should be the biggest concern. I assume they told you what signs to look for with a worsening pneumonia.

No idea if it's the Omicron variant or not, and the doc didn't specify. She is already being treated for the pneumonia, and just got more stuff for it on the way home from the clinic this afternoon, so we're giving it every weapon possible to make her feel better soon.

posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about the wife. My whole family is just starting to get over the covid after a couple weeks. My kids had it for about 5 days while it took me x2 weeks to finally feel better and I still feel crappy. I was the only one/able to get the monoclonal antibodies in my family and I swear I felt worse after getting the shots. I didn't get one benefit, while others I have heard have had great experiences with it. Some medical issues can actually be worsened with the shots,( I have heard and researched disorders like M.S.-daughter has it), although it differs from person to person. We are not sure which variant we had,not that I think it matters, as the treatment is pretty much the same for the symptoms.

You might ask about corticosteroids, as they can be beneficial for many people. As far as breathing treatments go, Albuterol, use it when you need it and sometimes it takes a few "tubes" to be able to breath easier. There are some side effects-tachycardias,etc., for some but I have had to use more than one dosage/"tube", on a continual basis while treating some patients enroute to the hospital, as well as for my son when he was younger with asthma. Just my 2 cents.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good news. Hope she gets better soon.
The omicron variant is currently responsible for 99% of COVID cases in the U.S. so chances are that is what she has.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prayers up.

Posts: 2957 | Location: NM | Registered: July 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
Just moments after my last post, we got a call from a clinic in a neighboring town telling us they just got some doses of the antibody therapy in, and they could treat Dayna this afternoon if we came right away… so naturally we did! Four quick shots (2 in the stomach and 1 in each arm) and we were on our way! The nurse practitioner who administered the treatment said she had COVID recently and took the therapy, and 2 days later couldn't tell she had ever been sick. She reported most of the patients she has treated so far had the same story to tell... 2 to 3 days and almost back to normal.

Thanks for all of the info, support, and prayers!

Glad to read this update.

Will keep y'all in prayers.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43884 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
GlaxoSmithKline's sotrovimab is effective against omicron as well as earlier variants.

Oops too late!
Glad you got the MAB...likely it was this one.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post