SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Swimming Pool & Chlorine Shortage
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swimming Pool & Chlorine Shortage Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Prefontaine: a salt water pool is a chlorine pool. A common misconception is that it’s not chlorine. The salinity is very low, like the same as tear drops, not anything close to ocean water. The chlorine generator we talk about converts salt into chlorine. It does so at a constant (but adjustable) rate. I can’t imagine any reason someone would want to say weather is a factor unless they want to sell you chlorine.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12423 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
Prefontaine: a salt water pool is a chlorine pool. A common misconception is that it’s not chlorine. The salinity is very low, like the same as tear drops, not anything close to ocean water. The chlorine generator we talk about converts salt into chlorine. It does so at a constant (but adjustable) rate. I can’t imagine any reason someone would want to say weather is a factor unless they want to sell you chlorine.

True. Weather has nothing to do with it.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I switched this year to a SWG and love it. The only trouble I have now is stopping the wife's habit of grabbing some chlorine every time she is at a store! I think she had a dozen gallons bought up before I noticed and got her to stop.

The new ones mostly, including mine, switch the polarity of the current flow back and forth automatically every so often and that is supposed to reduce the scaling. How long that has been a thing or how well that works I don't know.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wish we could down South but chlorine is still preferred. I haven’t met a pool man in 15 years that suggests switching to salt water here in the hot humid south, only salesmen. The heat, humidity, and that sun, chlorine is definitely the way to go.

How far south are you, Costa Rica?

We're in FL, they sell them here all over the place, wish I'd done it years ago.

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
We used liquid chlorine bleach from the local janitorial supply place for years. Used to get our 5 gallon jugs filled. I imagine they were in short supply as well like all bleach from the panic.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
I wish we could down South but chlorine is still preferred. I haven’t met a pool man in 15 years that suggests switching to salt water here in the hot humid south, only salesmen. The heat, humidity, and that sun, chlorine is definitely the way to go.

What is it about the 'hot, humid south' that so precludes salt water as an serious option? Seriously... Wink

100 degree heat, high humidity and lots of rain. Straight chlorine is just easier to deal with. Like I said, I haven’t met a pool man in 15 years that would own salt over straight chlorine here.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:

A number of reasons, the main ones, cost, simplicity, and maintenance. The pool men I referenced build, maintain, thousands of pools. And they don’t sell Chlorine dude. We all buy that from Leslies pool supply here.

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

A number of reasons, the main ones, cost, simplicity, and maintenance. The pool men I referenced build, maintain, thousands of pools. And they don’t sell Chlorine dude. We all buy that from Leslies pool supply here.

I wasn't trying to be a dick. I just don't really get the aversion to a salt system by pool guys these days. They do cost a bit up front, and if the cell dies in a few years it can be $500ish. So cost could be an issue.

But as far as maintenance and simplicity, nothing could be easier as far as I'm concerned. I've literally only had to adjust pH since I've gotten mine. Anyhow just my experience.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12423 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wasn't trying to be a dick. I just don't really get the aversion to a salt system by pool guys these days. They do cost a bit up front, and if the cell dies in a few years it can be $500ish. So cost could be an issue.

But as far as maintenance and simplicity, nothing could be easier as far as I'm concerned. I've literally only had to adjust pH since I've gotten mine. Anyhow just my experience.

They're cheaper to run than a fresh water pool and substantially easier to maintain.

But then I've only got 16 years of experience with one, so I could be wrong.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
I have been a maintenance manager at an oceanfront hotel for 31 years. I am in charge of our pool which uses an inline feed chlorinator. I also have had a salt cell chlorine generator for my home pool for the last 15 years. There is no comparison on how much easier it is to maintain a salt pool.

As far as the chlorine shortage, I have noticed the shortage of 3' tabs. Leslies has been pretty good at having supply since they have their own production facility but even now they are running a little low on stock. The scarcity is also reflected in much higher pricing than in the past.

Posts: 1217 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Local Costco is stocked up with pails of Pool Shock.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wish we could down South but chlorine is still preferred. I haven’t met a pool man in 15 years that suggests switching to salt water here in the hot humid south, only salesmen.

Everyone around here who has a salt water pool does their own maintenance because it's so easy and fast.

That's why you've never met a pool man who suggests switching...he'd be out of a job if everyone did.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Flash-LB,

posted Hide Post
Amusing topic for me: The major chemical trade association where I worked for 4.5 years axed all 6 of us in the chlorine chemistry division back in Jaunaury of this year. There are only two major chlor-alkali producers in the U.S.

Posts: 3536 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
For chlorine users plain bleach can be used and it doesn’t keep increasing your stabilizer like tabs do. Walmart and ocean state job lot carry liquid shock which is just strong bleach. That can be used too.

Other chemicals you can get in laundry section or Home Depot:

Alk increased is baking soda
pH up is washing soda (sodium carbonate)
pH down is muriatic acid

These go to eleven.

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Sorry I can't help or sympathize ... the 'pool' I swam in when young had no chlorine in it... just fish and snakes and the occasional leach.

Maybe that is why I find pools boring.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
I wish we could down South but chlorine is still preferred. I haven’t met a pool man in 15 years that suggests switching to salt water here in the hot humid south, only salesmen.

Everyone around here who has a salt water pool does their own maintenance because it's so easy and fast.

That's why you've never met a pool man who suggests switching...he'd be out of a job if everyone did.

No. I do all my own regular maintenance and never paid anyone to add chemicals. I’ve hired guys to remodel the pos (plaster, coping, deck, etc) and sometimes for equipment swaps, that’s about it. So you’ll have to explain the blatant dishonesty and labeling you are doing. In 15 years I have talked to many people in the industry and see the dolts every week at the store when I get my water checked hassling the Leslies employees because they don’t maintain their shit correctly, thus blame it on some employee of a chemical store. My equipment guy takes care of a lot of pools and the intel is something else. The one before him, and the one before him, all same story. Pools need maintenance no matter if chlorine, salt or H202.

Chlorine is easy and fast. Mine is rarely ever out of adjustment, only if it rains. Like death and taxes being a certainty, the pool is just a money pit. It isn’t worth the expense. The water isn’t even cool here until 10pm. It’ll be someone else’s joy to maintain soon enough when I sell and migrate away from the Kalifornian colonizers. I’ll buy a hot tub and still use chlorine. I’ve looked at everything from salt to H202. And after a decade and a half of maintaining my own pool and spa, nobody is going to tell me anything about maintaining a pool.

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Blatant dishonesty and labeling I'm doing?

You're delusional. And oddly enough, I don't recall you coming around my neighborhood and seeing who's doing what.

Amazing how people think they know about something they're totally ignorant of.

paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:

No. I do all my own regular maintenance and never paid anyone to add chemicals. I’ve hired guys to remodel the pos (plaster, coping, deck, etc) and sometimes for equipment swaps, that’s about it. So you’ll have to explain the blatant dishonesty and labeling you are doing. In 15 years I have talked to many people in the industry and see the dolts every week at the store when I get my water checked hassling the Leslies employees because they don’t maintain their shit correctly, thus blame it on some employee of a chemical store. My equipment guy takes care of a lot of pools and the intel is something else. The one before him, and the one before him, all same story. Pools need maintenance no matter if chlorine, salt or H202.

Chlorine is easy and fast. Mine is rarely ever out of adjustment, only if it rains. Like death and taxes being a certainty, the pool is just a money pit. It isn’t worth the expense. The water isn’t even cool here until 10pm. It’ll be someone else’s joy to maintain soon enough when I sell and migrate away from the Kalifornian colonizers. I’ll buy a hot tub and still use chlorine. I’ve looked at everything from salt to H202. And after a decade and a half of maintaining my own pool and spa, nobody is going to tell me anything about maintaining a pool.

I hate to tell you this, but you are likely being taken for a ride by Leslies. If people are hassling the Leslie's employees it's likely because they have very little knowledge of pool chemistry. They do quick tests and recommend chemicals that do more harm than good. They are in business to sell chemicals, period. The entire reason I learned to maintain my pool on my own was because of how Leslie's tried to rip me off with recommendations for buying tons of expensive chemicals. Leslie's is one step below car dealer service centers as far as ripoffs are concerned.

I have had my new, salt water chlorine generator pool for about 2 seasons. I've spent a grand total of about $20 on muriatic acid and not a dime more on other chemicals. I've left the pool for weeks without checking it (vacation, wedding, laziness) and not had one algae bloom). Big rain storm...push the "boost" button. That's about it. I'm really sorry people have misled you on the salt water pool. They aren't for everyone but you have been given bad information.

I think your biggest issue is your last sentence. You've been doing it the old way for so long you aren't open to newer better ways. If you need Leslie's to test your water then you don't really maintain your own pool.

These go to eleven.

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
↑↑↑↑↑↑

Well said frayedends. Your experiences parallel mine exactly.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Done mine for 25 plus years, Use Pinch a Penny to check water, it's been spot on since the Salt Water conversion, will all the rain I've only had to add a bit of salt one bag a week.

Other than that it's cleaner and clearer water than ever, simpler to maintain, everyone in the family comes here because the waters better, no chlorine smell or eye burn.

To each their own.... We can get shock, powder or liquid here, tablets are available.... No longer need them though...

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post