SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Money Orders n' Snail Mail - ARGHHHHH!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Money Orders n' Snail Mail - ARGHHHHH! Login/Join 
Picture of FLKev
posted
I buy just about everything online. I've had many cars dropped off that I've never seen, new and used. I've bought 2 homes I never walked in before closing. I literally buy socks and underwear and have them dropped off. Christmas gifts--I can shop the world, have them gift wrapped, dropped off with a signed card and a return label so if you want the $$$ return it with no conversation.

BUT

I can NOT generally do business on any of the forums I frequent without time traveling back to 1969, just for the hell of it. Everyone still wants money orders, cashier's checks. These are ridiculous, time-wasting, bullshit ass ways of doing business and it's for no reason other than that's what they've always done.

Time to grow a lil bit. You're safer using Zelle and even Paypal if using Friends n' Family payments than possibly getting a fake money order or cashier's check and you get to move the hell on to doing something else more productive and so does the buyer. It's especially annoying when it's a $10 item or something under $50.

I just move on instead of buying and the seller ends up keeping stuff he could sell. I can't be the only person that just will not go to post office, buy a money order, fill out envelope and money order, buy a stamp, mail to seller and wait 5 days for them to receive that stupid ass payment -- then wait another 2-3 for that dinosaur of a seller to get up and go ship it to me -- then another 5 days to get it---I'LL PASS!!!! I just don't need it that bad.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FLKev,

"It's gon' be some slow singing -n- flower bringing............ if my burglar alarm starts ringing"

Posts: 632 | Location: GATORLAND | Registered: August 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I only accept bearer bonds, delivered by diplomatic courier to my Swiss banker. It's the only way to be sure.

Posts: 33151 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FLKev
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I only accept bearer bonds, delivered by diplomatic courier to my Swiss banker. It's the only way to be sure.

HAHAHA That's easier to make happen than money orders and cashier's checks LoL

"It's gon' be some slow singing -n- flower bringing............ if my burglar alarm starts ringing"

Posts: 632 | Location: GATORLAND | Registered: August 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Money orders and cashiers checks eventually get destroyed when they are returned to the processing bank. When you use PayPal, Venmo and whatever else is out there, there's a record flying through space, over the internet and doesn't vanish.
Some people like not having a "virtual trail". They think a MO or cashiers check is the safe way to go.

Posts: 11 | Registered: February 01, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
And some people are wary of any of the electronic money transfer methods being hacked. Modern systems minimize the risk, but it does happen.

Posts: 7442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FLKev:
These are ridiculous, time-wasting, bullshit ass ways of doing business and it's for no reason other than that's what they've always done.

Nope, it's not just about status quo, or people not willing to change. Just wait until you get a 1099 from Paypal, or Zelle, etc... for selling a few items. I used to accept electronic payments all the time. Not anymore.

It's OK if you're not willing to pay with a MO, there are others who are perfectly happy to do it.

In the grans scheme of things, what's a few more days? I have time. Why does everything have to be NOW, NOW, NOW? Instant gratification.

Posts: 5822 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Can't teach an old dog new tricks. "USPS MO is best because if you scam someone it's mail fraud."

USPS
doesn't
care

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3304 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I cannot stand USPS MO. To stand in line for purchase, or for cashing, they are the worst form of payment ever.

I ask for personal check or electronic.

I sold a motorcycle and accepted e-funds. It just works, even from Australia.

The USPS is sadly defunct.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5224 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
For the guys I've bought from here, I just have Chase send a check for me via online 'bill pay'.
Hasn't let me down yet.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16036 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mark1Mod0Squid
Picture of Sigolicious
posted Hide Post
quote:
.....You're safer using Zelle and even Paypal .........

Someone my wife sent Zelle to had their account compromised and used that info along with spoofing Navy Federal's phone #. When they (scammers) called my wife's number it showed as the number she had in her phone saved as NavyFed and I could see them trying to make Zelle funds requests real time on my account, it freaked me out. The scammers claimed to be NavyFed fraud dept and had excellent english. The give away was texting us one time codes and then asking us to try logging in and sending them one time codes back. Took a minute cause I was freaked seeing multiple 4 figure requests pending, I hung up and called NavyFed direct to confirm fraud. Genuine fraud folks handled it. Had to close that account and redo all my web bill pay things. Had to ditch our email addresses for all of our bill payment and log-ins for such. PITA, but it got corrected.

This was a family members Zelle account, you think I'm gonna trust some internet rando with that? Fuck Zelle, paypal, venmo and all online cash app transactions. There is no longer any deal on things worth my bank account(s) in its entirety. No one is loosing a sale, your just not making a deal.

Posts: 2030 | Location: AZ | Registered: May 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
This was a family members Zelle account, you think I'm gonna trust some internet rando with that? Fuck Zelle, paypal, venmo and all online cash app transactions. There is no longer any deal on things worth my bank account(s) in its entirety. No one is loosing a sale, your just not making a deal.

Agreed. Yeah, you can get scammed by USPS money order or Cashier's Check, too, but at least you're only out the amount of the transaction and they're not actually getting access to your account. Zelle is a disaster waiting to happen. Paypal is a little better, but their policies are liberal and retarded. I'd rather put up with the minor inconvenience of a trip to the post office than even send a personal check, because those have my account and routing numbers on them, and I've personally worked enough check washing cases to know that's a real thing. I like to insulate my personal account as much as possible.

Posts: 9302 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FLKev
posted Hide Post
I definitely agree that if I were buying/selling something with a big ticket price that I would be more concerned about a 1099 and would use cashier's checks.

My frustration is with small ticket items $10-$50 taking so much effort to sell or buy.

TO BUY: The post office is a 20 min wait minimum any time of day for me. I've never seen that parking lot not full.

TO SELL: I can't just deposit a money order remotely with a screenshot like I can a check, so if I'm selling then I'm now waiting in line at the bank to deposit this lil ass money order.

Too much effort---I can't imagine not having the capability of sending or receiving e-payments--regardless of me being the seller or buyer

Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
I haven’t used Zelle, or Venmo, but I have transferred money using Apple cash several times. It works great, and it’s as simple as sending a text. The only caveat is that both ends have to have an iPhone, and Apple Cash set up. The money goes on their Apple Cash card, and they can spend it anywhere that accepts Apple Pay, or transfer it directly to their bank account.

Posts: 3274 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
I cannot stand USPS MO. To stand in line for purchase, or for cashing, they are the worst form of payment ever.

The last time I tried to cash a money order (5+ years ago), I was told "Sorry, we don't have that much cash on hand. You might try again on a busier day..."

This was the main USPS branch and hub for the metro area. The money order was $80.

They didn't even have $80 in the register.

Posts: 33151 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:

The last time I tried to cash a money order (5+ years ago), I was told "Sorry, we don't have that much cash on hand. You might try again on a busier day..."

This was the main USPS branch and hub for the metro area. The money order was $80.

They didn't even have $80 in the till.

Yeah, I've run into that same issue every time I've tried to cash an MO at the Post Office. I now just take them to my bank.

You guys must live in crappy places. I have 3 or 4 different post offices around here where I can walk in just about any time of day and be no worse than second or third in line. In and out in 5 minutes.

Posts: 9302 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i'm happy to use zelle if it's someone i know, having bought/sold with several members here.

if i don't know the seller, 1st choice usps m o.
2nd choice, any check held 10 business days.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I got rid of all my electronic payment options, for various reasons. Nope, sorry.

Funny that when I had my one online business, I went to the post office between 3 and 8 times a week. Now I dread it. The reason I don't bother selling stuff much anymore, not worth the hassle to me. As for payment, I can tolerate getting a cashiers check at the bank, I'm in no giant rush. I'll send a personal check if the buyer will allow it. I say feel free to hold it as long as you need to, I'm in no rush. Which usually puzzles people. I guess everyone's in a big hurry. If I'm really in a big hurry for something, I don't buy it used off a forum. lol

Posts: 21409 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Make copies of the m.o. , the front of the envelope and the m.o. receipt.
And staple it to the m.o. stub.

I just went through four weeks of torture when the p.o. lost my letter.

It did get returned after four weeks.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55234 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really only sell gun stuff, and not that often. When I do, a couple of times a year, I take the item to my LGS and they consign it for me. They use the shop display, the major sites like GB, and will auction it if I request. Well worth the money to me, and payment goes thru their credit card/banking system.

Posts: 17267 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well it is up to the seller to decide how to receive payment. If you don't like it then just move on.

Posts: 479 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post