SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Skyrocketing Price of Energizer Lithium Batteries
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Skyrocketing Price of Energizer Lithium Batteries Login/Join 
posted
On April 11 2020 I purchased 12 packs of AA for $1.33ea & AAA for $1.25ea from Amazon. A couple of weeks ago I checked Amazon & both sizes were $2.50ea so I decided to check at Walmart. Today at Walmart they were $2.75ea so I came home to buy at Amazon. Now at Amazon AA size are over $3.00EA!

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4263 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Supply and demand is a bitch.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Amazon brand lithium batteries have gone way up too. An 12-pack of 9V is $65 when it's even actually in stock.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I noticed the same thing. Luckily, I have a small set of Eneloop rechargeable AAs that I use for my most common AA stuff.

Guess I should invest in even more rechargeables.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I save the expensive lithium primary cells for only stuff that doesn't get used often or for very long. Everything else gets Eneloops.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
is demand for lithium higher because of battery electric vehicles (bev)?

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Yeah,

Thinking the EV marked increased the demand, the supply is still the same.

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$1.94 each at Sam’s Club today.

Posts: 1178 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Off my Amazon orders:

April 24 2021 Energizer AA Lithium batteries, 24 pack $28.90

Price today: $63.49

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Bought a ten pack yesterday for $25!

The cold was killing my regular batteries in my doorbell camera.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Part of the increased demand may be based on fewer people buying Duracells.
Duracell batteries seem to often leak now and people have shifted brand/types.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Off my Amazon orders:

April 24 2021 Energizer AA Lithium batteries, 24 pack $28.90

Price today: $63.49

Priced today, $67.00

It really made me think about what's coming, two fold. The ever increasing demand for them in every day products alone will drive the price up. When electric vehicles really get into full swing, then what? $10k-$20k price increases every model year?

And the other shoe to drop... when the world wakes up (wokes up) about how and where the raw materials are coming from. If you think they're expensive now with child labor, wait till it's an all adult (union?) work force. Good lord.

Funny thing about that, that always made me laugh and yet sad. The only thing worse than an 9 year old in some third world country that has to work in a sweat shop to help feed their family, is a 9 year old that needs to work in a sweat shop to feed their family, but can't, because some middle age housewife from Connecticut wants to feel better about herself. But that's a different issue. Wink

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still $1.94 each at Samsclub.

Posts: 1178 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The stories say it's because of demand, use in E cars, etc.
Not sure I buy that as the price of Lithium as a commodity is down about 45% from a year ago. It had been rising for years but seemed to dip in 2022.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

EBL lithium primaries are a lot cheaper. They also advertise a 10 year shelf life. I have been using them for a couple of years now, since the Energizers started going crazy.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
"We're running out of oil!!!"

Iron, copper, steel, nickle, aluminum, graphite, cobalt, manganese... all the things you need to make an EV battery, apparently we have an inexhaustible supply. Wink

posted Hide Post
EV's batteries only use a small amount of Lithium. Graphite, Manganese, Aluminum, Cobalt, Nickel, copper and Steel are the main ingrediants in EV batteries and most are coming from China because the EPA has too many restrictions on mining in the US to get them here economically. There is no shortage of Li batteries at Costco or Sam's. The Kirkland batteries at Costco are made by Energizer, but I don't think they are as good as the name brand product.

Rule Number Nine - Always carry a knife.

Posts: 35 | Registered: June 19, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I have about 12 electric shades in my house that take 10 AA batteries each. Ouch.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I needed a couple of CR 123 batteries and stopped by the local drug store.

For two of the Energizers, they wanted $24 or 25.

Nope. I went home and ordered a pack of 12 Stream light batteries for about $25.

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
16 pack of energizer CR123 at Sam's Club is $35.98, about $2.25 each

Rule Number Nine - Always carry a knife.

Posts: 35 | Registered: June 19, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post